Shady shadowing.

Talk about anything Legend of Grimrock 1 related here.
LiqMat

Shady shadowing.

Post by LiqMat »

Noticed not all the shadowing in this game to be very realistic. Pull chains to open gates do not cast a shadow. That one glares me in the face every time. Also, there is a three rung grate at foot level on some walls where the rungs also do not cast any shadow. I don't know, but in this type of game with this type of atmosphere shadows play a big part in the aesthetics. Thought I would mention. Oblivion was the biggest offender back in the day, though. The original engine on that game had all objects casting shadows until the changed engines to dumb it down for the consoles. Love Grimrock to death. Pun intended. Not an easy game and I am so happy about that.
dbgager

Re: Shady shadowing.

Post by dbgager »

Never noticed it...
Zadkiel343

Post by Zadkiel343 »

Huh, you're right. I hadn't noticed and was sure you were wrong (or at least that I got shadows from those items) so I quickly loaded up the game and looked, and yup, no shadows from pull chains or the bars in grates. Huh.

Now I'm looking, I see that the levers (the ones with an up and down position) don't cast shadows either.

Zad
dbgager

Post by dbgager »

good point ice. The shadows are there . You just have to change your shadow settings.
Ice

Post by Ice »

These do exist on all settings medium and up. On medium it produces a sharper shadow (I think just not affected by the quality of lighting; image below), on high it produces a more dispersed shadow.

Shadows on medium, for reference:

EDIT: I removed my first post and posted this one because I was not sure what the OP was referring to.
Radioman970

Post by Radioman970 »

Didn't notice and will probably continue to not notice. Maybe they are really glass pull chains, who knows? lol
I'd take one of the four wooden clubs I was carrying and just bash open doors with it.
- if life were like Dungeon Master

I'd click FIREBALL much more on New Year's Eve
- if life were like Eye of the Beholder
LiqMat

Post by LiqMat »

As long as the torch is in the wall you see the shadows. You are right about that, but they seem to disappear when you are holding the torch and no other light source is around. This is what I am seeing regardless of the shadow detail set. You would think shadows would shift as you walk with a torch. I also think the shadowing is so subtle in high detail that medium almost looks better IMO. Yes, I am being nit picky, but shadowing in this old dungeon adds to the creepy feeling and the more, the better. Cheers and happy questing.
Radioman970

Post by Radioman970 »

Ah! It does cast shadows. I have everything turned all the way and didn't notice a shadow (even though I said I wouldn't look, i did!) I'll look again. .
I'd take one of the four wooden clubs I was carrying and just bash open doors with it.
- if life were like Dungeon Master

I'd click FIREBALL much more on New Year's Eve
- if life were like Eye of the Beholder
IndigoAK

Post by IndigoAK »

Shadows being more subtle on higher settings actually makes sense. Shadows in real life are incredibly subtle and chances are, you can be looking straight forward right now and there's shadows all over the place of vary strengths, lengths and visibilities.
Rorrik

Post by Rorrik »

Man, I get shivers when I see the huge flapping shadow of a flying beastie in the next room. It is so cool!