Theorycrafted Optimized Party - No Swords or Mages :O

Talk about anything Legend of Grimrock 1 related here.
Lohengramm

Theorycrafted Optimized Party - No Swords or Mages :O

Post by Lohengramm »

Hi all, based on my detailed mechanics questions thread I came up with an stat-optimized party build last night that I had not seen suggested anywhere else so far. Before I dive into the specifics lets refresh ourselves on some important assumptions:
  • Strength is a dead stat. It is never worth taking over Vitality or Dexterity. Strength does not boost damage in any kind of significant amount, and the only reason you would need to carry more weight is to wear Heavy Armor, which is inferior to just focusing on Evasion to begin with. It also does not offer any elemental resistance.
  • Willpower is a dead stat. It boosts neither damage nor defense, just how many spells you can cast without resting. Solution? Don't bring a Mage and avoid this bad stat.
  • Protection is strictly inferior to Evasion in all situations. You can Evade anything Protection works against, and even when stacked Protection just doesn't do enough to justify the cost of doing so (weight / lost skill points for Proficiencies).
  • Vitality is better the earlier you get it due to how HP are awarded on level up, but continues to be great when stacked later because it also gives huge elemental resists (start the game w/ 30%~ vs. 2 elements and watch it grow). Vitality is the best defensive stat in the game because raw HP is the only defense that works against all sources of damage (traps, melee, elemental, falling, etc...), and elemental resists are the only way to reduce damage you can't Evade.
  • Dexterity is great whenever you get it, and can also be stacked as high as you can manage to get great resists vs. the 2 elements Vitality doesn't cover. It does not actually improve Missile or Thrown weapons, but it does provide the 2nd best defensive stats in the game (Evasion and Resistance) and as such is still the best choice for those party members after Vitality given your other choices will do practically nothing.
  • Weapons and Elemental skills are the best value per point invested. Weapons gain 1 dmg per 2 skill points and 1 Accuracy per 1 skill point spent, in addition to all the breakpoint bonuses you get like bonus Dexterity, special attacks, etc... All other skills (Athletics, Armor, Assassination, Spellcraft, etc...) ONLY reward you at breakpoints. When you focus on weapon skills you will see a return with each level up, even if you didn't hit a breakpoint.
  • The best defense is a good offense. What matters is making sure the other guy dies before you do, so maximizing your Accuracy and Attack Power while becoming a great dancer is the fastest way to win fights. Using ranged weapons to start damaging monsters before they even get in dancing range is also great.
  • Throwing is strictly inferior to Missile weapons on a Rogue because Missiles line gives Dex bonuses at breakpoints and Throwing gives Strength, which as we've discussed is a dead stat while Dex is a great defensive stat even in the back row.
  • Missile Weapons (unlike most weapon skills) can be on 2 characters without losing out on a good weapon for both characters thanks to the Crossbow being perfectly viable as an endgame weapon alongside the best regular Bow type, and as a bonus using its own ammo source.
  • The Aggressive trait is a great value, being worth 16 points of Strength or 8 skill points (2 entire level ups on a Human!) in damage, which applies to all weapon types. It makes tons of sense to pair this with a fast
    and extremely accurate weapon like a Dagger, or weapons that can't miss period like Missiles.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Whew, so it is entirely possible I'm mistaken and have just spread misinformation with the above assumptions. If this is the case please correct me and I'll edit the post, and possibly revise my stat optimized party. That being said, here is what I've got:

---- Front Line ----
Lizard Fighter
Maces (DUN DUN DUN!!!!!!!!!!!)
Agile + Healthy
10 Str | 20 Dex | 16 Vit (21 at 50 Maces) | 9 Will

Lizard Rogue
Daggers
Aggressive + Healthy
10 Str | 16 Dex (20 at 50 Daggers) | 18 Vit | 9 Will

---- Back Line ----
Lizard Rogue
Missile Weapons (Shortbow into Crookhorn Longbow)
Aggressive + Healthy
10 Str | 16 Dex (20 at 50 Missile Weapons)| 18 Vit | 9 Will

Lizard Rogue
Missile Weapons (Sling into Crossbow)
Aggressive + Healthy
10 Str | 16 Dex (20 at 50 Missile Weapons) | 18 Vit | 9 Will

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Party Strategy
DUMP ALL POINTS INTO YOUR WEAPON SKILLS. That is all.

Seriously though, you don't need anything else because these weapon skills were selected specifically because they boost Dexterity (Missiles and Daggers) or Vitality (Maces) and allow you to have a top tier weapon with each character. To get the starting stats I mentioned above during character creation you must dump into the stat your weapon skill does not boost, so the Missile and Dagger users max out Vitality, then get +1 bonus to Dexterity from their initial 4 points in their weapon. Reverse this for the Mace user, max their Dexterity first as it will be more difficult to boost later on (and they need the early accuracy boost) and they get shit tons of HP from using Maces anyway.

Maces? I thought Maces suck? Everyone says they are garbage. Well, they do have their tradeoffs, in the form of slow general attack speed and Accuracy malus, but when you hit, you hit HARD, and they offer you the best defensive stat in the game with their skill up break points (all Vitality all the time, baby). Once you reach 50 weapon skill with your Mace user they can smash heavy armor opponents to pieces even without triggering a special attack, and will have more HP than god. As far as the Accuracy loss, this is why I went with Agile instead of Aggressive in the Fighter's talents. Maces get plenty of raw Attack Power from the weapons themselves, so the bonus Dexterity offsets the Accuracy malus a bit in the early game (2 of the 5 points, which are both dwarfed anyway by your +50 Accuracy total for getting 50 skill) and boosts your Evasion and Resists, making it a perfect compliment to your Vitality boosting skill line. The argument could be made to just make the Fighter a Rogue using the Fist Dagger alongside your other front line Rogue using the Assassin's Dagger, since Aggression and your weapon skill in general overshadow the raw weapon damage difference, but I'd have to play through the entire game with each party set up to figure out which is really better. I suspect the difference would not be very noticeable in either direction. Finally, if something dies in one hit because you ignored its armor and hit it with a special attack while using the strongest weapon in the entire game, your attack speed doesn't really matter, does it?

So what do you do about non-weapon skills? Nothing. Armor Proficiencies aren't worth it, they will cost you being able to get to 50 in your weapon skills, which already boost your offense significantly and award you with the best defensive stats in the game at certain breakpoints. Your Dagger user doesn't need Assassination as getting behind monsters is not worth the effort when you have 2 very powerful Missile users in the back row constantly ripping things apart at range. The Dodge and Athletic trees are in general are not nearly as useful as focusing on your weapon exclusively, but once you get 50 in your weapon you could dump extra points in them.

No Mage? Blasphemy, I know, and it will cause you to need to equip a torch in 1 hand of your Dagger user instead of a shield of some kind at some points, but it really isn't that big of a deal. The thing is, Mages are really a niche utility class in a game that doesn't need a niche utility class due to how small your parties are and how effective raw physical beat downs are. Remember that the point of this discussion / guide is optimization, not viability. Go beat the game with an all Mage party if you want, I'm sure you can do it, but all the same I wouldn't want to be the guy clicking 3 times to attack with each character thousands of times...

All Lizards? I don't consider the other races worth using with the possible exception of the Humans. Lizards trade away 1 dead stat for 2 of a good front line / defensive stat, but lose 1 Skill Point at creation. In the end, you won't see a HUGE difference between them and all Human (still get 50 weapon skill at level 13 either way) party, but we're going for optimization here and free Dex with what is essentially no penalty at all is optimum. Again, go beat the game with an all Bug & Minotaur party if that is how you want to do things, but from an optimization standpoint they are terrible because they specialize in dead stats (Strength and Willpower).

Armor? Use the best you can find that doesn't require Proficiencies. Proficiencies are a huge drain on your skill points that could have gone towards having lots more Accuracy and Power in your weapons, and Heavy Armor is literally HEAVY, making that character unable to carry much besides the armor they are wearing unless you then also invest in the dead stat Strength. The thing is, even if you wore the heaviest armor, you would not want to tank an Ogre or be capable of doing so for very long the first time you met one. The best defense is killing things before they get next to you, followed by dancing them to death as fast as possible. After that, raw HP, Resists, and Evasion in that order of importance for when you just can't avoid taking damage. Protection is by far the worst defensive stat and it is your primary reward for bothering with armor Proficiencies.

Rip Me Apart

There are probably facts I am ignorant of that mean this party is not nearly the well oiled miracle machine I think it would be. I've played this party down to floor 3 and thought it was just spiffy how fast I managed to get an appropriate weapon to each person, and I can't wait to see how hilarious this gets once I've got a Shortbow on one guy and the Crossbow on the other. Already my Mace user doesn't miss very often, and my Dagger user basically never does (woo +10 accuracy). Killing the Skeleton Phalanxes on floor 2 was slightly tricky compared to being able to Mage them to death, but due to Maces high base damage and Aggression's huge early game damage boost to my Missile Weapon and Dagger user they went down to standard dance hall technique easily. Remember, even before you have access to the Sling you do (relatively for the early game) lots of damage throwing Rocks, Knives, and Shurikens w/ Aggression. My previous party went down to floor 6 and killed the Troll before I decided to really dig deep into how the mechanics of Grimrock really work, so I'm hoping between my own experience and what I've learned on this forum my assessment of how to optimize a party is fairly accurate. Let me know what you think ;)
Last edited by Lohengramm on Wed Dec 31, 2014 10:37 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Dr.Disaster

Re: Theorycrafted Optimized Party - No Swords or Mages :O

Post by Dr.Disaster »

Lohengramm wrote:On the subject of Attack Power bonuses... As cool as Minotaurs are thematically, with the skull collecting and all, they are still basically garbage because they specialize in Strength, lose a whopping 4 Dexterity and 4 Accuracy to go with it (not really made up for by their Vitality boost imo unless you put them in the back line), and gain only 1 skill point per level up.
Here you err.
The only difference regarding skill points and classes is during character creation. Mino's start with 1, insects and lizards with 3 and humans with 4 skill points. After creation all classes gain 4 skill points per level up.

The Health+Energy mechanic in LoG1 is different from the one seen in LoG2. During character creation both Vitality and Willpower influence how much Health respectivly Energy a character starts with. While playing both Vitality and Willpower grant an offset to the Health/Energy increases by a level-up. It might require some micro-management but by boosting both Vitality and Willpower right before a level up a character on average ends up with a better Health/Energy increase.

Another point you missed is that while Protection in LoG1 is not as OP as it is in LoG2 the front row should still consider getting the Light/Heavy Armor traits. Reasons are that Evasion gear is limited in the game and equipping Light/Heavy Armor without the traits results into Evasion penalties. With Evasion being much more effective in LoG1 than in Log2 skipping on the Light/Heavy Armor traits has a lot more impact in LoG1 than in LoG2.
Last edited by Dr.Disaster on Wed Dec 31, 2014 6:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lohengramm

Post by Lohengramm »

Dr.Disaster wrote:
Lohengramm wrote:On the subject of Attack Power bonuses... As cool as Minotaurs are thematically, with the skull collecting and all, they are still basically garbage because they specialize in Strength, lose a whopping 4 Dexterity and 4 Accuracy to go with it (not really made up for by their Vitality boost imo unless you put them in the back line), and gain only 1 skill point per level up.
Here you err.
The only difference regarding skill points and classes is during character creation. Mino's start with 1, insects and lizards with 3 and humans with 4 skill points. After creation all classes gain 4 skill points per level up.

The Health+Energy mechanic in LoG1 is different from the one seen in LoG2. During character creation both Vitality and Willpower influence how much Health respectivly Energy a character starts with. While playing both Vitality and Willpower grant an offset to the Health/Energy increases by a level-up. It might require some micro-management but by boosting both Vitality and Willpower right before a level up a character on average ends up with a better Health/Energy increase.
Ah, thanks much for pointing that out! I actually had a Minotaur long ago when I played the default party and forgot that skill penalty is only on the first level ;)
Dr.Disaster

Post by Dr.Disaster »

Another point you might have overlooked: Minotaur Rogues make great throwers!
Reasons:
- ranged attacks with weapons do not require Accuracy(!): if the target is in line with your party and in range you will hit it!
- strength adds to attack power at a ratio of +2str for +1dmg and a minotaur thrower gets plenty of it
- each skull adds +3 to attack power which - regarding damage output - equals to +6str
Lohengramm

Post by Lohengramm »

Dr.Disaster wrote:Another point you might have overlooked: Minotaur Rogues make great throwers!
Reasons:
- ranged attacks with weapons do not require Accuracy(!): if the target is in line with your party and in range you will hit it!
- strength adds to attack power at a ratio of +2str for +1dmg and a minotaur thrower gets plenty of it
- each skull adds +3 to attack power which - regarding damage output - equals to +6str
Well, I got the skill point thing wrong, but Minos still do specialize in Strength unfortunately and lose 2 skill points compared to Lizards, which pushes them to level 14 to max their weapon skill. A Missile Mino is certainly viable, but I'm not 100% convinced they'd be THAT much better than a Lizard in the same slot (and their Dex based resists would never compare) to justify changing them out.
Lohengramm

Post by Lohengramm »

Dr.Disaster wrote:Another point you missed is that while Protection in LoG1 is not as OP as it is in LoG2 the front row should still consider getting the Light/Heavy Armor traits. Reasons are that Evasion gear is limited in the game and equipping Light/Heavy Armor without the traits results into Evasion penalties. With Evasion being much more effective in LoG1 than in Log2 skipping on the Light/Heavy Armor traits has a lot more impact in LoG1 than in LoG2.
I actually considered this and decided it still wasn't worth delaying getting to 50 in your weapon skill or not being able to period. Protection just isn't important as a stat in general, and that is all Proficiency gets you for your trouble.
Lohengramm

Post by Lohengramm »

Trip Report - Floor 3 Cleared + Slime Pit for Crossbow

Mace Fighter
27 dmg 34 accuracy w/ Knoffer Mace and Round Shield
112 hp | 53 energy
Protection 8 | Evasion 29
21 Dex | 18 Vit = Res Fire / Shock 36, Cold / Poison 22
With 3 points left to gain in Vit those resists will catch up quickly to all settle around 36%, even without gear, though he is wearing a +1 Dex shoe right now.

Dagger Rogue
24 dmg | 37 accuracy w/ Dagger and Torch
120 hp | 64 energy
Protection 9 | Evasion 25
19 Dex | 19 Vit
I gave this character the +25 hp book since they are a front liner and the Fighter will still surpass their hp eventually due to higher base hp and all the hp gains from Mace training.

Bow Rogue
Shortbow + 9 Broadhead arrows
24 dmg
95 hp | 64 energy
19 Dex | 19 Vit = 22 Resist all
I'd list their defensive stats, in more detail but they don't really matter outside of Dex and Vit which are giving an even 22 resist across the board right now. Dex on the Rogues is going to gain 2 more points by the time I max weapon training so I'll get to add another 14 to those resists eventually.

Crossbow Rogue
Crossbow + 6 Poison Quarrel
33 dmg
95 hp | 64 energy
19 Dex | 19 Vit = 22 Resist all

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Doing great so far. The Slimes were a lot easier this time around than with my original party that got to floor 6. I did go to floor 4 and got a level up from killing the 2 fungus creatures at the entrance there before coming back and using my 2nd weapon skills on the Mace and Dagger users to pulverize the Slimes. Very early game was a breeze thanks to Aggression, even when my back row was just throwing rocks early on. Now I'm on floor 4 entrance and my whole party has either 2nd tier weapons or the Crossbow (top tier).
minmay

Post by minmay »

unarmed combat would do more damage than maces *and* gives much better defensive boosts

(i value defenses a lot less than you and damage output a lot more, so it wouldn't be wise of me to talk about anything else here)
Grimrock 1 dungeon
Grimrock 2 resources
I no longer answer scripting questions in private messages. Please ask in a forum topic or this Discord server.
Lohengramm

Post by Lohengramm »

minmay wrote:unarmed combat would do more damage than maces *and* gives much better defensive boosts

(i value defenses a lot less than you and damage output a lot more, so it wouldn't be wise of me to talk about anything else here)
What is the attack delay on unarmed, and what does the 50 point skill do? I've basically negated my miss chance completely as of defeating Floor 6 including the Fighter Challenge with no party deaths. Only had to use 2 potions, too, 1 for each back row Rogue. My record hit w/ just Floor 6 gear and levels is around 150~ w/ the Mace user, but now that both back row Rogues have Volley I'm just shredding everything I run into in 1 cycle of attacks usually. I did give my Fighter the +5 skill points book when I found it, since I figured they had the best shot at getting Light Armor Proficiency since it needed less points to achieve than Rogues did. As a result he is over 40 Maces already @_@
Lohengramm

Post by Lohengramm »

Trip Report: Floor 6 Clear

I'm not even going to go into stat details.
  • I walk up to Uggardians and kill them in one cycle of attacks now that both Missile Rogues have Volley.
  • My resists / raw HP are such that I just walked down the fireball hallway on Floor 6 and didn't care about getting hit.
  • My Mace user has smashed something for 150 dmg in one hit already and I'm just using the Warhammer still.
  • I beat the Fighter Challenge without anyone dying, using only 2 potions (2nd attempt, first attempt I won with a few party members dead)
/me drops mic