Absolutely LOVE The Game

Talk about anything Legend of Grimrock 1 related here.
Whibble

Absolutely LOVE The Game

Post by Whibble »

I watched a "Wtf is..." by Totalbiscuit on youtube, and that's where I first heard about this game. Once I saw the graphics and the gameplay, I was sold.

This game can be frustratingly difficult, but it forces you to use tactics. For example, I opened a door and saw 5-6 spiders in a room full of eggs, and died 10ish times trying to kill them head on. I finally stopped and said "There must be an easier way to do this...", then proceeded to back up and lock them behind a door, only letting one through at a time, and resting up behind locked doors to regain health between spider slayings.

This is a game I have literally NO issues with, whatsoever. It's funny how all these huge companies can put out mediocre games when the company has millions and millions of dollars to work with, but you guys managed to blow all of them out of the water. Hell, I didn't even think I LIKED this type of dungeony game before I found this one.

Lack of complex and intricate storyline makes me happy, too. The only games where I care about the storyline are series' of games (E.g. Diablo, Mass Effect, etc) where the storyline is important. I also love the whole "You are forgiven, if you can escape" deal.

summary: The game is probably one of the best I've played, and I can't possibly think of anything wrong with it. Good job!
Renevent

Re: Absolutely LOVE The Game

Post by Renevent »

Whibble wrote:Lack of complex and intricate storyline makes me happy, too. The only games where I care about the storyline are series' of games (E.g. Diablo, Mass Effect, etc) where the storyline is important. I also love the whole "You are forgiven, if you can escape" deal.
Totally agree with this...sick to death of most mainstream RPG's focusing so much on story lines and pointless dialog. Honestly I think game designers can make much more interesting games and compelling game worlds by using the world itself as the narrative, and using things like heavy atmosphere, dread, and exploration as the vehicles for the narrative.

Anyways yeah also agree the setup was great too, basically "you're pardoned...oh and by the way...jump into this deep dark hole" :o
kyogen

Post by kyogen »

Just wanted to chime in with this thread...

Well done, gentlemen. You've made a great game. 8-)

Personally, I love story- and dialogue-heavy rpgs, but I also love well-crafted simplicity and rigor, and Legend of Grimrock definitely delivers.
Whibble

Post by Whibble »

Totally agree with this...sick to death of most mainstream RPG's focusing so much on story lines and pointless dialog. Honestly I think game designers can make much more interesting games and compelling game worlds by using the world itself as the narrative, and using things like heavy atmosphere, dread, and exploration as the vehicles for the narrative.

Anyways yeah also agree the setup was great too, basically "you're pardoned...oh and by the way...jump into this deep dark hole" :o

Yeah, I hate having to study and take notes for a game. I love how this game writes out its story through gameplay, and atmosphere, and emotion, like you said.

It just feels so... Simple, yet you could cut the atmosphere with a knife, it's so thick. I can't wait for the level editor to come out so I can make my own dungeons! :D
Dandy

Post by Dandy »

The more I play it, the more I love it.

I have just had two friends around who watched me play, and have now gone off to buy it for themselves. I tell you what? They didn't take much convincing. :)
Dungeon Legend about the Master of Grimrock
Darklord

Post by Darklord »

Yay! :D

Daniel.
A gently fried snail slice is absolutely delicious with a pat of butter...
EvoluZion3

Post by EvoluZion3 »

^agree with the storyline as well. You don't need to have a storyline and intricate character development for the game to be enjoyable. Sometimes just exploring, fighting, casting, collecting new equipment and levelling up is all that's needed :)