MonsterWarp.lua crash on startup [SOLVED]

Have trouble running Legend of Grimrock 2 or do you have questions about the purchasing options? Look for help here.
terrorcell

MonsterWarp.lua crash on startup [SOLVED]

Post by terrorcell »

Edit:
Ok so I've found the real solution (reproducible). I have two programs that interfere with the game somehow (have never had any problems with them and any other games the entire time I've had this computer):
RocketDock (an application that creates a floating dock on the desktop that you can add program icons to) stops the game from loading if the cursor is over the game's window. This is the original error I found in the first post.
Gigabyte OC GURU II (lets you monitor various aspects of your motherboard, and overclock things like the fans, etc.) produces the error caused by starting the game with the cursor off the game's window, and then moving the cursor onto the game's window.

I still have another error that won't let me enter the options screen in the game and I don't know what program is causing that to happen, but that's not too big a deal for me right now.

Upon starting the game (steam version) I get this error message about MonsterWarp.lua and it's setVertexArray data being invalid.
Starting in admin mode, reinstalling the game, deleting data to be recreated by the game, none of it worked.
I can't play the game at the moment until this gets fixes (this is 100% reproducible).
Here's the log for it:

Code: Select all

=== System Info ===

Game Version:       2.1.13
Computer name:      PC
CPU Vendor:         GenuineIntel
CPU Brand:          Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570 CPU @ 3.40GHz
OS Version:         6.1
OEM ID:             0
Physical CPUs:      4
Logical CPUs:       0
Page Size:          4096
Total Mem:          8143 MB
Free Mem:           2698 MB

=== GPUs ===

Device name: \\.\DISPLAY1
Device string: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660 Ti
State flags: 00000001

Device name: \\.\DISPLAY2
State flags: 00000005

Device name: \\.\DISPLAY3
State flags: 00000000

Device name: \\.\DISPLAY4
State flags: 00000000

Device name: \\.\DISPLAYV1
Device string: RDPDD Chained DD
State flags: 00200008

Device name: \\.\DISPLAYV2
Device string: RDP Encoder Mirror Driver

Device name: \\.\DISPLAYV3
Device string: RDP Reflector Display Driver

=== Settings ===

Render Engine:      d3d9
Audio Engine:       xaudio2
Steam:              true
Resolution:         1920 x 1080
Display Mode:       fullscreen (1)
Vertical Sync:      enabled (2)
Texture Resolution: high (3)
Texture Filter:     anisotropic (3)
Shadow Quality:     high (3)
SSAO Quality:       high (3)
Rendering Quality:  high (2)
Difficulty:         normal
Oldschool Mode:     false

=== Software Failure ===

[string "MonsterWarp.lua"]:0: bad argument #1 to 'setVertexArray' (invalid data)
stack traceback:
	[C]: in function 'setVertexArray'
	[string "MonsterWarp.lua"]: in function 'classInit'
	[string "Grimrock.lua"]: in function 'init'
	[string "Grimrock.lua"]: in main chunk
	[C]: in function 'require'
	init.lua: in main chunk
Last edited by terrorcell on Thu Dec 11, 2014 6:12 am, edited 5 times in total.
Dr.Disaster

Re: MonsterWarp.lua crash on startup

Post by Dr.Disaster »

never seen that error message ..

What did you do before it happend?
terrorcell

Post by terrorcell »

Installed the game. That's about it.
terrorcell

Post by terrorcell »

I figured out some more information about the bug. Here are the steps I took:
1. I set the resolution to something much smaller (1024x768, the reason why is at step 4) and set the display mode to 0 (windowed mode)
2. I started the game and quickly moved the cursor outside where the window will appear (while the little steam window popped up saying "preparing to launch ...") which avoids the MonsterWarp.lua crash
3. The game ran fine and sat on the main menu in good shape
4. I moved the cursor inside the window and got a crash (as soon as the cursor touched the window border, did not matter if the window had focus or not) with the following information:

Code: Select all

[string "Sky.lua"]:0: attempt to perform arithmetic on field 'x' (a nil value)
stack traceback:
	[string "Sky.lua"]: in function 'updateDayParams'
	[string "Sky.lua"]: in function 'update'
	[string "Map.lua"]: in function 'updateComponents'
	[string "Map.lua"]: in function 'updateEntities'
	[string "Dungeon.lua"]: in function 'updateLevels'
	[string "GameMode.lua"]: in function 'update'
	[string "Grimrock.lua"]: in function 'display'
	[string "Grimrock.lua"]: in main chunk
I should also note that I get the same error if I try to minimize the window by clicking on the game in the taskbar, and if the window gains focus after losing focus (clicking on another windowed application and then clicking on the game in the taskbar).
This issue was NOT fixed in the latest update (2.1.17).
JohnWordsworth

Post by JohnWordsworth »

I know this isn't going to help that much (hopefully one of the devs will spot this and get in touch with you), but it looks like you have some strange setup (either software or hardware) which has triggered a strange bug that is rather uncommon. Some suggestions;

1. Reinstall the pre-requisites for the game. Go into <Program Files / Games Dir>/Steam/SteamApps/Common/Legend of Grimrock 2/_CommonRedist/. Here you can run the DXSetup for the specific version of Direct X that LOG uses. Equally, run the relevant setup for your machine for the vcredist package.

2. Make sure you are using the most up to date NVidia GeForce driver for your GPU.

3. It looks like you are using a desktop, but if you do have the option to switch between your Integrated or Dedicated GPU, make sure the NVidia GPU is being used to render the game.

4. Try running Steam in Admin mode and/or running the game EXE directly in admin mode (you note you have tried one of these, but perhaps not the other?).

5. Disable any anti-virus software you have running (just temporarily) and see if the game runs without that enabled. Don't forget to turn it back on afterwards!

6. Have you got multiple mice, a game pad, a wacom tablet or any other "non-standard" hardware attached to your PC? I'm clutching at straws here, but try unplugging them!
My Grimrock Projects Page with links to the Grimrock Model Toolkit, GrimFBX, Atlas Toolkit, QuickBar, NoteBook and the Oriental Weapons Pack.
Dr.Disaster

Post by Dr.Disaster »

terrorcell wrote:=== GPUs ===

Device name: \\.\DISPLAY1
State flags: 00000001

Device name: \\.\DISPLAY2
State flags: 00000005
Those lines from the log make me wonder. A non-zero state usually says that there is (was?) a card.

Is this a SLI setup with 2 GTX 660 Ti's? In case it is try either disabling SLI or check out this threat for more detailed SLI help: viewtopic.php?f=21&t=7690
terrorcell

Post by terrorcell »

JohnWordsworth wrote: 1. Reinstall the pre-requisites for the game. Go into <Program Files / Games Dir>/Steam/SteamApps/Common/Legend of Grimrock 2/_CommonRedist/. Here you can run the DXSetup for the specific version of Direct X that LOG uses. Equally, run the relevant setup for your machine for the vcredist package.

2. Make sure you are using the most up to date NVidia GeForce driver for your GPU.

3. It looks like you are using a desktop, but if you do have the option to switch between your Integrated or Dedicated GPU, make sure the NVidia GPU is being used to render the game.

4. Try running Steam in Admin mode and/or running the game EXE directly in admin mode (you note you have tried one of these, but perhaps not the other?).

5. Disable any anti-virus software you have running (just temporarily) and see if the game runs without that enabled. Don't forget to turn it back on afterwards!

6. Have you got multiple mice, a game pad, a wacom tablet or any other "non-standard" hardware attached to your PC? I'm clutching at straws here, but try unplugging them!
1. Done and no change.
2. In fact, the latest update came out yesterday (for me at least).
3. I don't have an integrated GPU (so yes, the NVidia GPU is the one being used).
4. I have actually tried this.
5. No change.
6. There is an extra mouse but no change when removing it (nor after restarting either).
Dr.Disaster wrote: Those lines from the log make me wonder. A non-zero state usually says that there is (was?) a card.

Is this a SLI setup with 2 GTX 660 Ti's? In case it is try either disabling SLI or check out this threat for more detailed SLI help: viewtopic.php?f=21&t=7690
There are actually two monitors using the one GTX 660 Ti (so no SLI setup).
Dr.Disaster

Post by Dr.Disaster »

ok no SLI then .. that'll be a tough one

Is there any overclocking going on for CPU, GPU or RAM beyond manufacturer measures?
Did you update your nVidia driver manually? If yes: did you select the install options "Custom" and "Re-Install"? -> possible driver conflict with old nVidia driver remains
Have you ever had an AMD card installed in that system before the GTX? -> possible driver conflict with Catalyst remains
terrorcell

Post by terrorcell »

Dr.Disaster wrote:ok no SLI then .. that'll be a tough one

Is there any overclocking going on for CPU, GPU or RAM beyond manufacturer measures?
Did you update your nVidia driver manually? If yes: did you select the install options "Custom" and "Re-Install"? -> possible driver conflict with old nVidia driver remains
Have you ever had an AMD card installed in that system before the GTX? -> possible driver conflict with Catalyst remains
No overclocking at all.
I just did a clean reinstall then, no change.
Never had an AMD card installed, only ever been the one 660 Ti.
JohnWordsworth

Post by JohnWordsworth »

I'm really just throwing random ideas at you now, because the error message implies that either it can't find some vertex data, or something in memory has got corrupted somehow. Anyway, some other random ideas...

1. If you have multiple HDDs in your machine, try installing on the other one? Same goes if you have the game installed in a 'strange' location.
2. Again, just clutching at straws, but perhaps try turning off "Data Execution Prevention"? (Link).

Can you play other 3D games fine? Did you upgrade your system from a previous version of Windows? Have you tried running a full check of your PC memory using MemTest86?
My Grimrock Projects Page with links to the Grimrock Model Toolkit, GrimFBX, Atlas Toolkit, QuickBar, NoteBook and the Oriental Weapons Pack.