Help! Hard battle in pyramid!

This is the forum for helping you out if you're stuck in Grimrock 2 or if you want to discuss about the mysteries of the Isle of Nex. Warning: forum contains spoilers!
PanzerAzelSaturn

Help! Hard battle in pyramid!

Post by PanzerAzelSaturn »

Hi, I am in the pyramid and faced with a battle I can't figure out how to win. When I go through a teleporter I end up in a room with spike traps on each corner and a ton of nasty snakes and those things that petrify me. I can barely get a few hits in before party members are dead and/or petrified. Is there any trick to this battle? Do I just suck? So far I've found the game fairly easy and have rarely died. My characters are at level 8 or 9 if I remember correctly and I'm playing on normal difficulty. Being surrounded on 3 sides and petrified and poisoned and beat on is just way beyond what I can deal with. I can't even guzzle potions as fast as I die. And since it takes 70 seconds per load I am getting very frustrated at trying again and again. Especially since I die in less than the 70 seconds it takes to load my save and try again :/
Lightthrower

Re: Help! Hard battle in pyramid!

Post by Lightthrower »

That battle is very hard because you get a really strong 2H after the battle. You are kinda low level, my advice would be to abuse bombs and potions. That's how I did it at lvl 10.
minmay

Post by minmay »

The easiest way is to just use invisibility. Neither the snakes nor the flying boob archers can see invisible, so you can just cast invisibility, go through the teleporter, get behind one, unload your attacks, cast invisibility again, repeat.
Following that is to use bombs, but those are technically limited if you don't have an alchemist.
Grimrock 1 dungeon
Grimrock 2 resources
I no longer answer scripting questions in private messages. Please ask in a forum topic or this Discord server.
sapientCrow

Post by sapientCrow »

Bombs bombs and bombs for sure!
Strafe into the room so you are facing one of those medusas is a good strat to begin with as well.
Use protection crystal and have a healing crystal ready.
The healing crystal will wipe out the petrify effect.
As soon as you down your first mob run to the wall turn around toss bombs at your next target.

Fire bombs are best as they do dot damage and initial damage.
However you can also spin freeze all of them then keep cycling that way if you still have plenty of freeze bombs.
Also go in with pois resist if you can and rage potions and speed potions active.

I tried invisibility many times they were always tile next to me and started attacking.
PanzerAzelSaturn

Thanks. I will try the invisibility thing. I have a few bombs, used all of the fire ones on a bunch of rocky dudes in a secret area earlier. I wonder why my level is low? I kill everything and explore like crazy. Maybe I didn't go in the intended dungeon order?

I don't have an alchemist, I made my party before researching anything about the game. I have one point in alchemy on my mage to make healing potions and I have about 8 of them made. I am not the worlds most physically coordinated player and I tend to get flustered when under attack. This is why I usually play turn based games :) I don't even use the keyboard at all, I can't manage wasd very well and use the arrow keys on the screen instead. Beating the last boss in LoG 1 took me about an hour and a ton of saves and reloads.

I guess now is the time to figure out what rage potions and all those other pretty colored flasks contain. I tend to be a special item hoarder, usually finishing my games without ever touching things like bombs and powerful potions. You know, in case I REALLY need them, lol.

I really want that weapon :)
Rodin

Post by Rodin »

When I did it on Hard, I too was low level and had to attempt it about 30-40 times to finally nail it. A couple tips:

1) When you first arrive, step either immediately forward or immediately backward. The two Medusas will immediately attack when you arrive, and you can dodge two hits (and they're STRONG) by moving immediately. I moved backwards since I had a lot of ranged attacks, but you may be able to move forward and confront the Serpent that's facing you instead.

2) Kill the Serpents first! They're a lot more aggressive than the Medusas, and you're more likely to get cornered if they're around. They also have lower HP unless i'm much mistaken.

3) Related to 2, go gonzo on the first Serpent. Blow everything on it - the fight is basically impossible if all of them are up, but if you can kill the first one very quickly the fight becomes much easier.

4) You can move through the spike squares freely as long as you don't STAY there. The spikes are on a delay.

5) Keep moving - don't let the archers localize you. You can typically blow past a Serpent to get into more open space if needed.

6) Use the Serpents to shield yourself from the Medusas. They can't attack you if there's a Serpent in the way. Once all the Serpents are down, try to arrange it so that the Medusas are getting in each other's way.

7) Listen for the charging sound on the Petrify attack. If you sidestep before it finishes, the attack will miss.

8) If you're having a lot of trouble, make a separate save and keep trying until you kill two of the Serpents and then save again to give yourself a "mid-battle" checkpoint. Once there's just the two Medusas and one Serpent, the fight isn't that hard.
Spathi

Post by Spathi »

Remember the sith battle in star wars, lol. Just put Medusa's in a force field with the staff of ruling and this battle becomes very easy.
PanzerAzelSaturn

Thanks for your help everyone. I finally completed this battle this morning on my first try after reading all of your suggestions. I think the most helpful was to drink all of my special potions and use those pretty blue crystals (I used 1). Hopefully there won't be too much harder in the game! I was all prepped to use bombs during the battle, but in the heat of the frantic attack/heal moment I completely forgot to use them!

Not only did I win, but I somehow ended the battle with everyone alive, so probably got full exp for everyone. Now I am busy trying to figure out how to get the one trapdoor to open up in the NE section of the main floor of the pyramid. I found a switch that seems to do nothing. I hope it's not one of those awful timing puzzles from the first game. I had to have my BF do a few of those for me last year and I hate to have to rely on someone else playing my game for me. I honestly don't suck action games in general, just first person keyboard/mouse type games using wasd.