Performance on Intel HD

Talk about anything related to Legend of Grimrock 2 here.
vlzvl

Performance on Intel HD

Post by vlzvl »

Hi and congrats for the 2nd game.
I don't really own a powerhouse of a laptop, merely an Core i3 2.4G with an Intel HD.
With all settings down i still can't play the game (can't see the framerate either but in the open its about ~6 fps)
Any chance for tesselation or lower-poly models or any performance-related settings on next patches ?
tx

PS. this applies to open-world only as i can't really play the game enough to go underground, too slow.
badhabit

Re: Performance on Intel HD

Post by badhabit »

vlzvl wrote:Hi and congrats for the 2nd game.
I don't really own a powerhouse of a laptop, merely an Core i3 2.4G with an Intel HD.
With all settings down i still can't play the game (can't see the framerate either but in the open its about ~6 fps)
Any chance for tesselation or lower-poly models or any performance-related settings on next patches ?
tx

PS. this applies to open-world only as i can't really play the game enough to go underground, too slow.
there many reports over fluctuating & bad perfromance and not enough possibilities for influencing the performance in this thread "LoG 2 very poor performance...", please report there too... (Also, some tipps)

Also, to see the FPS you can enable the internal debug output via the grimrock.cfg (in the Log2 app folder), set "debugInfo" parameter from "false" to "true" (little bit more detailed here).
vlzvl

Post by vlzvl »

Thank you for the link :)
Dr.Disaster

Post by Dr.Disaster »

vlzvl wrote:I don't really own a powerhouse of a laptop, merely an Core i3 2.4G with an Intel HD.
There are several Intel HD's. Please be more specific about yours respectivly your i3.

Please note that LoG2's minimum GPU requirement is an Intel HD Graphics 5200 coming with Intel's 4th Core processor generation.
badhabit

Post by badhabit »

Dr.Disaster wrote:
vlzvl wrote:I don't really own a powerhouse of a laptop, merely an Core i3 2.4G with an Intel HD.
There are several Intel HD's. Please be more specific about yours respectivly your i3.

Please note that LoG2's minimum GPU requirement is an Intel HD Graphics 5200 coming with Intel's 4th Core processor generation.
The relevant information is that the game runs, so the GPU's feature are the required for the game & that the options were set to low for everything, including the option "Rendering quality" where the info explicitly tells its made for non-dedicated GPUs and old PCS. In general, the solution can't be defining some arbitrary hardware thresholds to tell the users "you are below specs, it's your fault" but to optimize the engine and/or include options which allow a stable performance also for low power systems. Currently LoG2 is not providing here enough possibilities.

I have to say, I see this possibility of scaling software graphical wise to the hardware as one strength of the PC ... adaptability. I expect that I can scale down a software to the available GPU hardware, up to now this was working for practically everything I was playing.That there are hard(er) constraints like GPU features, RAM requir. .. etc I'm aware... but all reports up to now where from systems technical capable of handling LoG2 but unable to generate enough FPS by not having enough options and choices here. That this is not working for game which is especially aimed at retro gamers (often not with 100% up to date hardware) is a little disappointing.
Last edited by badhabit on Mon Oct 20, 2014 12:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dr.Disaster

Post by Dr.Disaster »

badhabit wrote:
Dr.Disaster wrote:

The relevant information is that the game runs, so the GPU's feature are the required for the game & that the options were set to low for everything, including the option "Rendering quality" where the info explicitly tells its made for non-dedicated GPUs and old PCS. In general, the solution can't be defining some arbitrary hardware thresholds to tell the users "you are below specs, it's your fault" but to optimize the engine and/or include options which allow a stable performance also for low power systems. Currently LoG2 is not providing here enough possibilities.
You don't even know which Intel HD he runs because he has not told us. Yet you're already siding with him. Compared to your own Radeon HD 5670 - which btw is not that great too - all Intel HD chips in the market today are slow. Even then Intel HD 5200 delivers only 3/4 the performance of your GPU; when looking at older revision like HD 3000 or even 2000 then performance is halfed again.
Last edited by Dr.Disaster on Mon Oct 20, 2014 12:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
badhabit

Post by badhabit »

Dr.Disaster wrote:
badhabit wrote:
Dr.Disaster wrote:

You don't even know which Intel HD he runs because he has not told us. Yet you're already siding with him. Compared to your own GPU - which btw is not that great too - all Intel HD chips in the market today are slow.
As I told, this is not about if his hardware, which supports the required HW features fine, fits to an arbitrary HW threshold but the general bad scalability of LOG2 which is a standard feature for PC games, exposed by that effect.
Morgan

Post by Morgan »

Just for fun, checked LoG2 on my i5 laptop with intel HD 4000.

In windows, with all options turned on i had 12-15 fps on first scene (with cage). With all options off (or low) there was about 70-90 fps (and ugly picture).

In linux (with wine) little more on high settings (why?), about 15-20 fps and much less on low - about 40-50 fps.
Dr.Disaster

Post by Dr.Disaster »

Morgan wrote:Just for fun, checked LoG2 on my i5 laptop with intel HD 4000.

In windows, with all options turned on i had 12-15 fps on first scene (with cage). With all options off (or low) there was about 70-90 fps (and ugly picture).

In linux (with wine) little more on high settings (why?), about 15-20 fps and much less on low - about 40-50 fps.
Sounds pretty normal to me. Wine is prolly a bit faster (on high) because it lacks the usual Microsoft Windows overhead.
stuzzicadenti

Post by stuzzicadenti »

vlzvl wrote:Hi and congrats for the 2nd game.
tx

I am running on the following system (non-gaming laptop for VMs, etc):
Core i5-3320M (2.6ghz)
HD4000 integrated graphics
16GB RAM
Windows 8.1
resolution 1366x768 (it's a 12.5" screen)

The game runs fine, but not silky smooth with all the settings maxed. Once I changed the rendering quality to low, kept the texture resolution at high and it runs flawlessly. For my purposes, since I am usually using a small screen, the difference in graphic quality is negligible.

I am not running in 1080p, so that might be partially responsible, but it shouldn't cause that huge jump down to what you are getting. I have a Windows 7 VM running in the background, but that should only really consume some of the RAM. I do have a faster processor and probably more RAM (since 16GB is impractical and unnecessary for most desktop uses at this time).

For those of us with integrated graphics, we should not expect perfect performance, because these are not gaming systems. Integrated graphics are fine for productivity and some games, but if integrated was as good as dedicated people wouldn't buy or pay for dedicated graphics cards.

If I were you I would try lowering the resolution just to test if that makes a difference.