herder's den

This is the forum for helping you out if you're stuck in Grimrock 2 or if you want to discuss about the mysteries of the Isle of Nex. Warning: forum contains spoilers!
Ichthyic

herder's den

Post by Ichthyic »

wow. infinite experience??

-make sure you have an alchemist that can brew anitvenom.
-make sure you have as much poison resistance as possible.

this whole area locks down when you enter it, and won't unlock until you kill all the "herders"; the things that generate all the fungoids (you can see one directly in front of you just before you enter the area, which btw, you can kill with ranged attacks before you actually go in. There's another one immediately to your left as you enter. I *think* there are 6 total.

ok, now the fun part. avoid taking on any of the fungoids, and just run to your left after taking out the first two herders. take out another two, then go as far from the entrance as you can, follow that wall all the way to the right, then go down. you should see a gravestone-marker with a sack of stuff at the base and a powerstone nearby. now cure any poison conditions you might have, heal up, and you can take on any fungoids as they make their way over to you. you have a nice long corridor for shooting at them to weaken them up before they get to you. preferably take out the big ones before they get a chance to gas you.

you can even rest here from time to time, as the herd thins out.

AFAIK, the fungoids will keep generating from the one or two herders you haven't yet destroyed, and you can just keep taking them out one at time.

killed 34 so far...
Vaimsus

Re: herder's den

Post by Vaimsus »

Well, there are already monsters that respawn when you have been out of the area for some time, so this is nothing new. This isnt really the game in which you need to farm monsters to get enough levels to be able to kill monsters in the next area. If you like sitting there killing those herbners, feel free to do it, but i would find it rather boring. There is really no need for any infinite xp trick, if you arent trying to check out if there is any max level you can reach or something else.
Ichthyic

Post by Ichthyic »

Vaimsus wrote:Well, there are already monsters that respawn when you have been out of the area for some time, so this is nothing new. This isnt really the game in which you need to farm monsters to get enough levels to be able to kill monsters in the next area. If you like sitting there killing those herbners, feel free to do it, but i would find it rather boring. There is really no need for any infinite xp trick, if you arent trying to check out if there is any max level you can reach or something else.
uh, this is a constant stream instead of a few respawns after you've been out of an area for a long time.

for some, one more level can make the difference between the next area being easier or harder, depending on skills.

frankly, I don't care if you personally find it boring.

run along now.
Ixnatifual

Post by Ixnatifual »

I felt like I was farming during this fight without even trying to.
Chimera005ao

Post by Chimera005ao »

I took the opposite approach, killing the spawners as quickly as possible while ignoring the monsters.
Died there the first time.
Ixnatifual

Post by Ixnatifual »

I went for the spawners as well, but the last one was blocked by masses of herders which made it take ages to make a clear route. Did a lot of savescumming there until I could get at it and make it out without being trapped.
Chimera005ao

Post by Chimera005ao »

Ixnatifual wrote:I went for the spawners as well, but the last one was blocked by masses of herders which made it take ages to make a clear route. Did a lot of savescumming there until I could get at it and make it out without being trapped.
First time, I died because of that last one on the right.
Second time, went bear form and rushed to kill that one first. ; P
Played on Ironman mode, because I didn't want to be tempted to save scumming. :lol:
Grew up on games where you couldn't save wherever you wanted, and to me the experience feels cheapened if you can. : /