Help with party composition

This is the forum for helping you out if you're stuck in Grimrock 2 or if you want to discuss about the mysteries of the Isle of Nex. Warning: forum contains spoilers!
Infiltrator

Help with party composition

Post by Infiltrator »

I like to play the game on hard and I'd like to play it with ironman, one save per crystal and old school as my first playthough.

That said, I'm still not sure on optimal class builds, and could use advice from people who beat the game in this mode.

My draft may look like this:

1. Minotaur Barbarian - heavy weapons, heavy armor, Headhunter and maybe thick skin? I am not sure which one of the vitality perks is actually the best one on the long run.

2. Rogue dual weilder - this is where I'm kind of torn. I'm not sure if it's more beneficial to do battle mage up front with rogue from the back or rogue in front (no need to get into accuracy) and wizard from behind?

Anyway the roghe I'd go with aggressive and evasive, focus on dex and vit, probably go human to get skills sooner so I don't die to frontal damage as much. Are there any good dex-based light weapons besides daggers? Or is a STR build better considering you can backstab/dual weild anything later?

3. Wizard from the back or battlemage on the front, depending on rogue positioning - I was thinking of getting water magic and air magic, so I can frost bolt, lightning bolt and go invisible and have synergy with stabbing stuff in the back. Thoughts?

4. This is reserved for another ranged character, either missles or firearms, I'm leaning towards missles but I'm not sure if it's better to go alchemist or rogue again, but I'm guessing alchemist if the utility in free potions is too good?

Thanks.
Infiltrator

Re: Help with party composition

Post by Infiltrator »

Hmm surprised no one has chimed in yet. Anyway I went with rogue front, wizard back and so far its working out - some enemies are pretty tough to beat, like ratling sabre guys. But otherwise I didn't have much struggles.
cfisher2833

Post by cfisher2833 »

Barbarian Minotaur has been pretty good for me so far. It's pretty insane how high you can get their strength with the +1 every level in combination with the head hunter perk. For rogue, I'd either go lizard (if you're gonna put him in front--lizard resistances are insane with the perks) or Ratling with the mutation perk. Ratlings are just a great overall class that shouldn't be ignored--the mutation perk is great and has really negated some of the Ratling starting deficiencies, and the +1 to a random perk that you get
SpoilerShow
from eating cheese
is also a great plus.

As for the position of them....I don't think it really matters much. You're gonna want to invest 2 points in Accuracy for just about all melee classes, so in the end it won't make much of a difference--just put the tankier character in front.

Oh, and I personally prefer missles over firearms. Firearms don't scale with DEX, they're heavy, and ammo is always a concern to the point where you'll almost certainly want to have them spec into light weapons or something in addition to the firearms.
AsgarZigel

Post by AsgarZigel »

If you play on ironman, I'd suggest an alchemist so you get infinite potions, since you will need to heal wounds and other status effects.
SpoilerShow
There's even a resurrection potion this time around.