Congratulations, and the one thing I'd love to see next!

Talk about anything Legend of Grimrock 1 related here.
Goblin

Congratulations, and the one thing I'd love to see next!

Post by Goblin »

You guys made a great game, and of a genre that NEEDED a new game!

One thing I'd really love to see is a "Random adventure" mode

Basically, you set the depth, complexity, difficulty of monsters and/or traps, etc, and the game creates a dungeon for you to get through from top to bottom.

For the party, players make a "rogues gallery" of characters (maybe with a max of 12 or so). The player picks 4, and starts delving. Difficulty is tweaked a bit for average party level (as over several random delving sessions levels will build up) so a bunch of level 20 guys on normal would still have a slightly harder time than a bunch of level 5 guys on normal. I think gear would be random, but i think keeping it between different dungeons would make things too easy.

I realize it might not make as challenging a delve as the base game, but it would be a great way to spend some time in the deep dark.

Heck, I'd even buy it as, say, a $5 DLC.
NoMaD

Re: Congratulations, and the one thing I'd love to see next!

Post by NoMaD »

Agreed! LOVE this game... but once we finish it... what next? I'd pay for this in DLC too. The replay value of a random adventure would be... well... unlimited! :)
dragsaw

Post by dragsaw »

i know
NoMaD wrote:Agreed! LOVE this game... but once we finish it... what next? I'd pay for this in DLC too. The replay value of a random adventure would be... well... unlimited! :)

I know, or map packs like 2 bucks for 4 maps or some thing?, as i dont think il get much replay out of this epic game (Curse you Long-term memory!)
rossman86

Post by rossman86 »

The problem with random map generation in a game like this is puzzles. You can't randomly generate environmental puzzles, which means the devs would have to wrack their brains creating a plethora of puzzle room "pieces" for the map generator to use. Once a player knows the puzzles it's just a game of walking through the same hallways over and over killing the same monsters. The puzzles are the hardest thing to make but they're also core to the experience.
BeeTLe BeTHLeHeM

Post by BeeTLe BeTHLeHeM »

I completely agree!
I proposed this feature during the game development, but I think it was a bit premature :)

The Dungeon Hack model seems a good starting point to me - it would be interesting to know the algorithm used (layout and placing of doors, keys, stairs and special areas).
Curunir

Post by Curunir »

A randomized dungeon would be a pure hack and slash fest because you can't implement random puzzles, at least not of the nature and quality of the original ones. You understand that puzzles like the hub room of level 4 can't be done randomly, even with very advanced procedural algorithms.

I'm not saying a random dungeon won't be fun, just saying it won't deliver the same type of gameplay the original game has.

On the other hand, a map editor would allow people to produce dungeons full of both combat AND great puzzles which I consider the much much better option.
Kadaeux

Post by Kadaeux »

What i'd do would be in combination with their map editor, let people (and devs naturally) make prefab puzzles for the random generator to pick through and add to your randomised generator.
Curunir

Post by Curunir »

That sounds fun but is probably going to be too complicated to implement. Thinking out of my ass here, I can't code at all, just guessing.
Rednecksith

Post by Rednecksith »

Dungeon Hack did randomly generate simple puzzles. In fact, it even had an option for multi-level puzzles. They were fairly simple, but they were there nonetheless. Besides, sometimes you don't want to wrack your brain trying to figure out complex stuff, you just want to murder monsters and find loot. :P

This game with a Dungeon Hack style random generator would be pure BLISS.
Sometimes I wish the world was flat so I could push people off.
NoMaD

Post by NoMaD »

Rednecksith wrote:Dungeon Hack did randomly generate simple puzzles. In fact, it even had an option for multi-level puzzles. They were fairly simple, but they were there nonetheless. Besides, sometimes you don't want to wrack your brain trying to figure out complex stuff, you just want to murder monsters and find loot. :P

This game with a Dungeon Hack style random generator would be pure BLISS.

Agreed! Multi-level puzzels used is rare cases along with key/door and gem collections to unlock doors would be the cats meow.

That being said... I like the idea of a bunch of pre-made puzzles to automatically choose from... OR the option for a pure hack n slash fest! :D