Indestructible Enemies + some smaller problems

This is the forum for helping you out if you're stuck in Grimrock 2 or if you want to discuss about the mysteries of the Isle of Nex. Warning: forum contains spoilers!
UglyBastard

Indestructible Enemies + some smaller problems

Post by UglyBastard »

I encountered an extremely obnoxious enemy type, some kind of green swarm that pushes you back when it hits you.
The unfortunate thing is, that it is immune against physical attacks and all elements except lightning. It also has a shitton of HP, I emptied a handful of lightning bombs and 600 mana worth of lightning spells into it without being able to take it down.
I cannot ignore it either, because it is in my way and I can't avoid it (House of Needles). Another one of those things spawned in the central area where it chases me around whenever I pass through. Highly annoying.
I am extremely frustrated right now. It is seriously pissing me off.

Anybody found a way to dispatch these things? I have a human knight, minotaur barbarian, lizard rogue and insectoid mage (3 fire, rest 1). This party seems to be completely helpless against it.
If it helps, here is a picture of it:
http://i.imgur.com/5t2S1yx.jpg

These guys are providing me with some of the most un-fun experiences I ever had in a singleplayer RPG.

Some minor problems:
Anybody got an idea what to do at the Runemaster's Challenge in the swamp? There are just 9 pressure plates and no hints at all (at least I haven't found any).
Also I haven't found the Hub key in the swamp. Somebody has an idea where it is?
And there is a treasure behind some bars right at the entrance to the dungeon that leads to the archives (next to the window where you can see the "tower of meditation"). I couldn't figure out how to get it.
Tommer

Re: Indestructible Enemies + some smaller problems

Post by Tommer »

I'm having the exact same problem, I ran into this enemy at the shrine of entanglement where it cornered me in the puzzle and finished me off. When I fought it I assumed lightning healed it because of the damage text color (it was green). I'm not sure how to deal with it but I'd love to know if anyone's figured it out.
UglyBastard

Post by UglyBastard »

Hm yeah, maybe lightning even heals it. Didn't consider that. :evil:

So then it is immune to everything except lightning which heals it? Sounds fun. Especially when it pushes you around and corners you, oh yes.

edit:
btw. Dispel Magic does damage against it (real damage when I remember right, no green numbers), but it is pretty pathetic damage for rather high mana cost and the guy just eats a lot of dispels. Couldn't kill him before the mana was gone.
juho

Post by juho »

There's couple of tricks to damage the Air elemental. A special weapon and a spell.
Follow me on Twitter: @JuhoMakingStuff
UglyBastard

Post by UglyBastard »

Could you be a bit more specific? Are you referring to dispel? The damage is pathetic, I can't dps it down before it wrecks my whole party (especially in the house of needles where you are either cornered and have to facetank it or die to the spikes).

Would prevent me from throwing my laptop out of the window. :S

€: Ok nevermind, I guess I was alternating dispel and lightning spells before thinking that green was the color of lightning damage. This somehow seems to have increased the survivability of the bastard. :roll: Had to down quite some pots, but at least it is dead now...
Chimera005ao

Post by Chimera005ao »

Anybody got an idea what to do at the Runemaster's Challenge in the swamp? There are just 9 pressure plates and no hints at all (at least I haven't found any)
SpoilerShow
RUNEmaster's challenge. 9 pressure plates. A projectile spawner. Activate the plates that correspond to the spell that matches the projectile as if the pressure plates were your mage's rune tab. I have to go back to that spot at some point. I didn't memorize all the spells in the first Grimrock, and refuse to look things up, so I'm still looking for scrolls. : /
Dr.Disaster

Post by Dr.Disaster »

juho wrote:There's couple of tricks to damage the Air elemental. A special weapon and a spell.
During beta i did not check for this (I at least always had the spell) but is it possible to run into this elemental before the party has either?
kenyaa

Post by kenyaa »

For runemasters trial.
SpoilerShow
You need to use the 9 plates to cast the spell shown, there are 3 spells
1. Fireball
[][]X
[][]X Door
[]X X

2. Ice shards
X[][]
X[][] Door
X[][]
3. Lightning bolt

[]X[]
[]X X Door
[][]X
Tommer

Post by Tommer »

Dr.Disaster wrote:is it possible to run into this elemental before the party has either?
I'm not sure what triggers you need to activate before they'll appear, but if I've been to an area with a spell or item to help me deal with the Air Elementals I must have missed it. On my island they're spawning in the Sleet Island area pretty close to where I first exited Twigroot Forest.

Here's a list of areas I've visited, locations with an asterisk* are areas I haven't fully explored.
Underground
SpoilerShow
Twigroot Tunnels
The Archives*
The Sewers*
Dead Sailor's Cave
Overworld
SpoilerShow
Shipwreck Beach
Twigroot Forest
Forgotten River
Sleet Island
Ruins of Desarune
Hamlet of Stormbreach*
The Cemetery*
Dr.Disaster

Post by Dr.Disaster »

Tommer wrote:
Dr.Disaster wrote:is it possible to run into this elemental before the party has either?
I'm not sure what triggers you need to activate before they'll appear, but if I've been to an area with a spell or item to help me deal with the Air Elementals I must have missed it. On my island they're spawning in the Sleet Island area pretty close to where I first exited Twigroot Forest.

Here's a list of areas I've visited, locations with an asterisk* are areas I haven't fully explored.
Underground
SpoilerShow
Twigroot Tunnels
The Archives*
The Sewers*
Dead Sailor's Cave
Overworld
SpoilerShow
Shipwreck Beach
Twigroot Forest
Forgotten River
Sleet Island
Ruins of Desarune
Hamlet of Stormbreach*
The Cemetery*
Looking at your list you should have found the spell scroll yet.
SpoilerShow
The spell is called "Dispel" and requires Water 1 and Concentration 1.