level 4 - stuck on time and tides [solved]

This is the forum for helping you out if you're stuck or if you want to discuss the nitty gritty details of the dungeons within Mount Grimrock. Warning: forum contains spoilers!
Daedalus

level 4 - stuck on time and tides [solved]

Post by Daedalus »

Not sure whether I should post this in the technical support forum, cause it might be a game breaking bug... or I might just be failing really hard.
SpoilerShow
I'm in the very first room in time and tides, where you're supposed to throw a knife into the portal at the right time so it lands on the switch to close the pits, but the portal just drops anything I throw on the floor to my left. I figured that thrown items were supposed to keep their momentum upon passing through a portal but they're not. Anyone else had this problem?
Last edited by Daedalus on Thu Apr 12, 2012 6:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Arinohyoshi

Re: level 4 - stuck on time and tides, maybe bug

Post by Arinohyoshi »

Are you making the throw by drag-and-dropping the throwing knife on the top part of the screen? If you are, thats the reason it fails. Put the throwing knife on your hand, and right-click it to "attack throw", it keeps its velocity.
Truly yours, Arinohyoshi
Daedalus

Re: level 4 - stuck on time and tides, maybe bug

Post by Daedalus »

Yeah, that'd be it. Thanks! I'm glad it's just me being stupid
seith

Re: level 4 - stuck on time and tides [solved]

Post by seith »

Nope, you're not stupid. By clicking with the throwing knife on the upper part of the screen you're throwing it (ie: it flies through the air). But the code indeed makes a difference from throwing it with the attack slot. In my opinion this case is just not being handled properly by programming.
gold32

Post by gold32 »

Seems this doesn't work with shurikans. Maybe I'll try again. I used all my throwing daggers by chucking them not using the attack slot. Oh my I hope this doesn't mean I can't complete it...

I also tried old clothes, rocks, knives, swords, burnt out torches, and leigonairs shields (but they don't make the distance haha)
Draken

Post by Draken »

it works with shurikens, throwing knives, rocks and
SpoilerShow
throwing axes
in theory any item would do, even those peasant pants you found in level 1, but... as stated before, you have to attack-throw the item, so in reality, any throwing weapon does the job.
gold32

Post by gold32 »

Thanks.

Shurikens do work.

Maybe I just thought I had tried them (with attack throwing) considering how much stuff I was throwing the other way.
I even tried casting magic through haha.

Cheers.
carpii

Post by carpii »

Draken wrote: in theory any item would do, even those peasant pants you found in level 1, but... as stated before, you have to attack-throw the item, so in reality, any throwing weapon does the job.
Im on level 5 and my mage is still wearing peasant pants :(
seebs

Post by seebs »

I am pretty sure I got it to work with a non-attack-throw. Thing is, non-attack-throw, I don't quite know how to tell which character is doing the throwing. I used to remember this in DM, I am sort of assuming it's the same.