Game doesn't minimize on windows update dialog

Have trouble running Grimrock 1 or you're wondering if your graphics card is supported? Look for help here.
DunCrow

Game doesn't minimize on windows update dialog

Post by DunCrow »

My machine just rebooted while i was playing the game and I'm not 100 % sure but i think it was one of those timed reboots windows 7 forces on you after an update.

The problem seems to be that game running in full screen mode doesn't minimize when one of those "Restart your computer to install important updates" windows pops up.
This makes you lose your unsaved progress, when the computer restarts after 10 minutes of silently warning you in the background.

From what I've seen most other games lose the focus when that happens,
maybe there is also an elegant way of preventing a restart altogether as long as the game is running in full screen. (form a programmers perspective, not as a user)

Can anybody confirm this issue?
keson

Re: Game doesn't minimize on windows update dialog

Post by keson »

On Windows XP it minimizes. I had some updates yesterday and postponed reboot few times while playing LoG.
Mameluk

Post by Mameluk »

Can you confirm that this is not caused by your GPU overheating? Try playing with vsync on and see if it suddenly reboots.
cokebottle

Post by cokebottle »

I can confirm that the game does not minimize when you get an update restart timer dialog in Windows 7.

I don't remember how other games handle this though, or if this is a good thing or not. :)
DunCrow

Post by DunCrow »

Mameluk wrote:Can you confirm that this is not caused by your GPU overheating? Try playing with vsync on and see if it suddenly reboots.
No, if my GPU overheated the system wouldn't reboot and install an update while shutting down, it would be just crashing with a BSOD or another way.
At least that's what I think would happen. Otherwise an OS not responding to your GPU's outcry for help could brick the GPU. Correct me if I'm wrong,
and modern drivers on Windows softly shut your pc down before anything serious happens.

I will check my temperatures the next time I'm playing to make sure. EDIT: I just remembered that I had vsync (triple buffering) turned on.
cokebottle wrote:I can confirm that the game does not minimize when you get an update restart timer dialog in Windows 7.

I don't remember how other games handle this though, or if this is a good thing or not. :)
All of the reactions I've seen is minimizing your game.
What I could also imagine is that a program can prevent such a shut down by reacting to the OS saying
"Hey, I just feel like installing some updates, you wanna quit?" with
"Dude, I'm playing here, back off" instead of "kthxbye" but that one you can't really observe.
I googled for a way to do that, but I didn't find one.