Do I still need to dl the Steam version if...

Have trouble running Grimrock 1 or you're wondering if your graphics card is supported? Look for help here.
Hans Von Mannschaft

Do I still need to dl the Steam version if...

Post by Hans Von Mannschaft »

...I already got the standalone?
Been playing earlier today, now I noticed it finally showed up on Steam. Also read in some thread that the saves do carry on.
So I'm wondering, do I really need to dl and install the Steam version when I already got it installed via the Stand Alone version in order to use the Steam system?

It'd be also great to know why the hell Steam can't tell the game has already been installed.

Anyways, any help or tips would be welcome, kinda afraid to install it again via Steam...

Cheers
Kenokam

Re: Do I still need to dl the Steam version if...

Post by Kenokam »

I recommend backing up your LoG files before trying this as I have not tried it out with LoG yet (works with plenty of other games, though).

Start the download for LoG through steam, but immediately pause it once it actually starts downloading. Find the program files from the standalone and drop them into your steam/steamapps/common/Legend of Grimrock folder. Once the files are transferred, go into your steam library, right click LoG, select properties, select local files tab, and then select verify integrity of game cache. If all goes according to plan, it should see that all (or at least most of) the game files are there and verify that the download is complete.
Hans Von Mannschaft

Hey there, thanks for your reply.

I did, however, grow a bit impatient haha and ended up installing the Steam version without touching the original one.
The result, and I hope it helps those to come, too:
- Two launching icons on the desktop.
- Steam version does -just as I've read earlier- recognize the older saves. On the other hand, it definitely could not tell the stand alone was already there and downloaded everything again.
- Steam version does not delete nor modify whatever playing stats you had, for example, time played, tiles walked, secrets & iron doors, etc.

Some more things could be tested, it'd be great, however, if a dev would tell us if and/or how both versions work together.

Cheers
Scorcher24

Post by Scorcher24 »

Hans Von Mannschaft wrote:Hey there, thanks for your reply.

I did, however, grow a bit impatient haha and ended up installing the Steam version without touching the original one.
The result, and I hope it helps those to come, too:
- Two launching icons on the desktop.
- Steam version does -just as I've read earlier- recognize the older saves. On the other hand, it definitely could not tell the stand alone was already there and downloaded everything again.
- Steam version does not delete nor modify whatever playing stats you had, for example, time played, tiles walked, secrets & iron doors, etc.

Some more things could be tested, it'd be great, however, if a dev would tell us if and/or how both versions work together.

Cheers
There is no difference, except the steam version having achievements.
And Steam can't tell if you have a non steam game installed or not, it does not check this. It only checks it's own folder steamapps for the depots.
Hans Von Mannschaft

Great to know, Scorcher, thank you!

This probably means that I'd have to restart the game if I wanted to not to miss any possible Steam-based achievement.
Not much of a big deal if I think about it, could pick different traits and use the game based map, too, after all... haha...
...Ooooh which leads me to the question... is there an achievement for completing the game without automapping? hmm... gonna post it on a different thread...

Have a good one!