So when can my wizard cast magic?

This is the forum for helping you out if you're stuck or if you want to discuss the nitty gritty details of the dungeons within Mount Grimrock. Warning: forum contains spoilers!
Triga

So when can my wizard cast magic?

Post by Triga »

It would of been nice to know during character creation that you need a min skill point to cast spells. Right now I have a mage that can do nothing, his fire / earth / air magic skills are not high enough, but in order to raise them I need to lvl him ,but in order to level him I need him to cast magic. My only option is to try to use him in melee and hope he dose not die.

Unless I am doing something wrong, this seems like a very bad way to begin a game. There should be a note during character creation saying you need a min score to cast a spell from any given school.
bryno

Re: So when can my wizard cast magic?

Post by bryno »

I used one of the spears the skeleton guys drop they reach from the back row, after one level managed to get skills high enough to start casting magic, only took killing an extra mob than everyone else to get the level.
killington

Post by killington »

Triga wrote:It would of been nice to know during character creation that you need a min skill point to cast spells. Right now I have a mage that can do nothing, his fire / earth / air magic skills are not high enough, but in order to raise them I need to lvl him ,but in order to level him I need him to cast magic. My only option is to try to use him in melee and hope he dose not die.

Unless I am doing something wrong, this seems like a very bad way to begin a game. There should be a note during character creation saying you need a min score to cast a spell from any given school.
Like the above said, or throw rocks. Technically in the creation it shows the schools and "Spell: ??" at certain levels, so that's kind of a hint.
Sweet_Intestinals

Post by Sweet_Intestinals »

I can't imagine you got far before realising this, so starting again won't be too much of a problem. I usually do a few restarts while figuring out the party balance I want anyway.

Alternatively, just wait. Everybody gets experience for all kills, it's just that the character who lands the killing blow gets bonus experience. Maybe soften a creature up with a fighter and then throw a few rocks at it if you're impatient.
Cutter

Post by Cutter »

Scrolls show you formulas. So for cast fireblast you need to have 2 skill points in fire and that will allow you to cast that spell with the fire rune. Whilst I'm enjoying the game, the magic system is pretty cumbersome.
Midget soothsayer robs bank. Small medium at large.
Vermis

Post by Vermis »

I discovered the first fire spell on the first mob... Just sat down with pre-made team and played around. BOOM! After a few fizzles I toasted a snail and got the message "You discovered a new spell!" or something like that. 8-)
Dalton

Post by Dalton »

If you hover your mouse over a skill, it shows you how many points it takes to unlock spells. You'll see something like:

Fire Magic
2: Unlock spell ???

which means you need at least 2 ranks to unlock the first fire spell. From there you either experiment or wait until you find a scroll.