DarkDale: Betrayal

General discussion that is not related to Grimrock goes here.
Diarmuid

DarkDale: Betrayal

Post by Diarmuid »

Well, Might & Magic X, Deathfire... seems the time is up for announcing oldschool RPGs around here. ;)

Let's add my voice to the lot: http://www.darkdale.net/.
Komag

Re: DarkDale: Betrayal

Post by Komag »

Wow, that's a big deal! :shock:

I wish you and your team (who's on team?) nothing but the best! Looks like we'll have another great tile based dungeon crawler to play next year :D
Finished Dungeons - complete mods to play
Neikun

Post by Neikun »

I'm on the team!

Mostly as testing and feedback at the moment.
"I'm okay with being referred to as a goddess."
Community Model Request Thread
See what I'm working on right now: Neikun's Workshop
Lead Coordinator for Legends of the Northern Realms Project
  • Message me to join in!
Darklord

Post by Darklord »

Well that looks very cool! :D

Daniel.
A gently fried snail slice is absolutely delicious with a pat of butter...
Greco

Post by Greco »

Diarmuid wrote:Well, Might & Magic X, Deathfire... seems the time is up for announcing oldschool RPGs around here. ;)

Let's add my voice to the lot: http://www.darkdale.net/.
Seems quite promising. If it would be quite as good as Grimrock regarding gameplay and you manage to enhance the story with npcs and animated sequences (much like EOB2 did), it would be the perfect rpg!
Hope you achieve this, because old school rpgs must come back for good. Tile based, first person, party based, real time (or turn- based) -I prefer real time to be frank- with lots of puzzles, is the ultimate rpg experience. By far! They are imersive, they are addictive, they are quick to play, and easy to learn. What else could a gamer want?
Diarmuid

Post by Diarmuid »

Greco wrote:Seems quite promising. If it would be quite as good as Grimrock regarding gameplay and you manage to enhance the story with npcs and animated sequences (much like EOB2 did), it would be the perfect rpg!
Hope you achieve this, because old school rpgs must come back for good. Tile based, first person, party based, real time (or turn- based) -I prefer real time to be frank- with lots of puzzles, is the ultimate rpg experience. By far! They are imersive, they are addictive, they are quick to play, and easy to learn. What else could a gamer want?
Thanks for the encouragment! We'll try to make live up to the expectations. We'll also be going for real-time, not turn-based combat - I feel it suits tile-based RPGs better for a few reasons, although I'll reserve that discussion for a good blog post later when we get to implementing monsters & combat.

As for the story debate, well I'm quite happy that Almost Human stated here (http://www.grimrock.net/2013/03/21/scra ... e-designs/) that they would keep Grimrock centered around what it was doing best, "tightly centered around the party, tricky puzzles, scary monsters and exploration". They are right I think it that it will keep its charm better that way, and this means that LoG2 and DarkDale are headed towards similar but complementary niches, and I feel there is place for both.
Ixnatifual

Post by Ixnatifual »

I love how more games are cropping up in this genre. I'm definitely interested in this.
Dr.Disaster

Post by Dr.Disaster »

My first thought looking at this was "oh a LoG clone" ;)
Diarmuid

Post by Diarmuid »

"oh a M&M/EOB clone"... ;)
Dr.Disaster

Post by Dr.Disaster »

Diarmuid wrote:"oh a M&M/EOB clone"... ;)