Bug: turning on stairs moves between floors

Have trouble running Grimrock 1 or you're wondering if your graphics card is supported? Look for help here.
Ice

Bug: turning on stairs moves between floors

Post by Ice »

When you travel up and down a floor, you land on the other side of the stairs. However, if you turn while you're on the stairs in this way, you end up moving back on the stairs instead of just turning. I think this has to do with the game not putting you one more step ahead (so that you're off the stairs), and the game thinks "player is on stairs, move play to next/previous floor".

Don't know if this makes a difference but I have my controls remapped so A/D turns and Q/E strafes.

Steam version 1.1.3. Image shows my party moving sideways on stairs. It is relatively spoiler-free. Imgur automatically converted to JPG so sorry for the loss of quality.
MrX

Re: Bug: turning on stairs moves between floors

Post by MrX »

The same thing happens with the default key setup. Not a big issue but it is still there =)
---------My YouTube videos---------
http://www.youtube.com/user/81MrX

Fun Run and Gun Clan
http://www.f-r-a-g.net
Crashbanito

Post by Crashbanito »

It does this if you're in that stair spot and not looking directly away from it. Every other direction you face on that spot brings you down. Looking away prevents your party from going in an endless up-down loop.

Over analyzing is fun. :lol:
Grimrock FAQ | If you see something fishy, flag that post! | My Gaming/Tech Blog
petri

Post by petri »

This is actually by design. Why do you say it's a bug?
Crashbanito

Post by Crashbanito »

petri wrote:This is actually by design. Why do you say it's a bug?
It's more of a little oddity than anything. No big deal. Get back to coding. ;)
Grimrock FAQ | If you see something fishy, flag that post! | My Gaming/Tech Blog
Ice

Post by Ice »

It feels weird sometimes because my first instinct after I travel up and down stairs is to look around, and in this case it took me back up the stairs, which I found a little odd. Gets a little confusing because if you try to look around after you go back up to see what just happened, you end up going back down.
Crashbanito

Post by Crashbanito »

Ice wrote:
It feels weird sometimes because my first instinct after I travel up and down stairs is to look around, and in this case it took me back up the stairs, which I found a little odd. Gets a little confusing because if you try to look around after you go back up to see what just happened, you end up going back down.
In Dungeon Master, you couldn't even turn on stairs. We're entering uncharted territory here. :lol:
snograt

Post by snograt »

Actually, in Dungeon Master did it not do exactly the same thing? I know I tried it on the first stairs I came to just to see if they were DM style stairs :)
Ice

Post by Ice »

Crashbanito wrote:
Ice wrote:
In Dungeon Master, you couldn't even turn on stairs. We're entering uncharted territory here. :lol:
This is fair; I never played DM myself, and this just felt like an oddity to me (I'm more familiar with roguelikes).
Darklord

Post by Darklord »

snograt wrote:Actually, in Dungeon Master did it not do exactly the same thing? I know I tried it on the first stairs I came to just to see if they were DM style stairs :)
Yes it did, I was playing DM just this week! :)

Daniel.
A gently fried snail slice is absolutely delicious with a pat of butter...