Extremly High GPU Usage

Have trouble running Grimrock 1 or you're wondering if your graphics card is supported? Look for help here.
tseliger

Extremly High GPU Usage

Post by tseliger »

Hello,

first thanks for the great game!

I noted extrem GPU (video card, not CPU) usage even if in graphically "non-intensive" areas (e.g. character creation screen or the room you spawn when you started the game). My GPU usage nearly instantly hits 100%, gets hot and the fan noise starts. This is strange, because the card is powerfull enough to run games like "The Witcher 2" in nearly maximized settings and does not hit 100% GPU usage all the time.

My system:
CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 3GHz
RAM: 8GB RAM
Video Card: Nvidia 560 Ti
Video Driver Version: 295.73

I play in 1920x1200 resolution, everything set to high.

Anyone else noticed this effect?

cheers,
Tom
petri

Re: Extremly High GPU Usage

Post by petri »

Please turn on vertical sync from game options and see if it helps. You can also try Triple Buffering.
prantanen

Post by prantanen »

Hi there.

Same issue here too. GPU heat pushes to 100 and warnings jumps on my face.
Updated drivers, don't have any overclocks and took shadows & graphs to low but nothing helps.

GPU: Ati Radeon HD 6800
petri

Post by petri »

Did you try enabling vertical sync from game options?
Akatana

Post by Akatana »

My PC overheated 5 minutes ago :(
Delias

Post by Delias »

petri wrote:Did you try enabling vertical sync from game options?
If possible, setting vsync to be 'on' by default would be very helpful.
Before I enabled my vsync, Fraps showed me at 8,000 FPS while on loading screens and menus and whatnot and I could hear my GPU fans going crazy,
would be best for people who don't know to turn on vsync to have it on by default, and the ones who would want it off will know to turn it off. :P
tseliger

Post by tseliger »

Thanks! Enabling vsync really seems to help! GPU usage goes down to 30-50%. Maybe this limits the framerate to 60?

Anyway I am off slaying some baddies ;)
Kthanid

Post by Kthanid »

tseliger wrote:Thanks! Enabling vsync really seems to help! GPU usage goes down to 30-50%. Maybe this limits the framerate to 60?

Anyway I am off slaying some baddies ;)
Yes, vsync will limit the number of frames shown to the refresh rate of your monitor (typically 60Hz, yeah).
MrX

Post by MrX »

petri!

You might want to consider putting in a fps cap option for people who do not like vsync
because of the terrible mouse movement you get from it if you do not have a good enough monitor.
So you can still limit your frames the graphics card render without using vsync.

Just an idea for a future patch. Thanks for an outstanding game btw =)
---------My YouTube videos---------
http://www.youtube.com/user/81MrX

Fun Run and Gun Clan
http://www.f-r-a-g.net
Ice

Post by Ice »

MrX wrote:You might want to consider putting in a fps cap option for people who do not like vsync
because of the terrible mouse movement you get from it if you do not have a good enough monitor.
So you can still limit your frames the graphics card render without using vsync.
This is a good idea. A lot of games hard-limit fps to 100-300 when in menus, so as to not overload the video card. I don't know if this is possible, but perhaps vsync can be turned on in menus and back to the regular setting in-game?