Xbox controller setup/support

Have trouble running Grimrock 1 or you're wondering if your graphics card is supported? Look for help here.
timtim1065

Xbox controller setup/support

Post by timtim1065 »

Hi,

First off, I'm very stoked about the game, already pre-ordered and raring to go.

**if the game already supports xbox controller controls, then the post is redundant- but searching 'xbox' had no results on the forum so I am assuming it doesn't**

I recently got my hands on a wired-Xbox360 controller, and have been playing various indie games (Binding of Isaac, Dungeons of Dredmor) with it. As Binding of Isaac suggested in the options menu, I downloaded JoyToKey to map my controller keys to keyboard inputs, which was painless (once you google up which button was which in the config menu).

The control scheme of W/A/S/D for direction and Q/E for turning seem to fit perfectly onto the analog stick/shoulder bumper buttons. However, it looks from the video trailer that the player will have to *click* on the character portraits in order to issue an attack? It would be perfect if the controller face-buttons can each be mapped to one of the characters, and then the experience would be complete.

If the game supports mapping any keyboard buttons to individual character attacks (arrow keys would make a lot of sense, or Numpad to preserve the 2x2 layout of the character boxes on screen), then its a trivial matter of mapping them with JoyToKey. I just have a nagging feeling that mouse-clicks is the only way to attack as of now. (Or maybe there are more intricacies that require more than a click?)

If I have to AutoHotKey the mouse-click myself, so be it, but I'm sure the community would love being able to play with a gamepad out-of-the-(digital)-box.

And hey, gotta think about it sooner or later when the game makes it to the xboxLive/PSN(whatever it's called now) scene, right?

Looking forward to the game!

Tim
Crashbanito

Re: Xbox controller setup/support

Post by Crashbanito »

I might work on an Xpadder profile for those who want it.
Grimrock FAQ | If you see something fishy, flag that post! | My Gaming/Tech Blog
DunCrow

Post by DunCrow »

Even with dedicated attack buttons the game is still not designed with a controller in mind imho.

The puzzles, secrets and some other things in the game world seem to require you clicking them, with the whole point of it being that you have to detect those things manually. With that in mind you quickly run out of analogue sticks. One for movement, one for looking around and one for a cursor to interact with things lying around in the game world. Even when digital input is used for movement you run into problems because you would need 6 movement buttons, 4 buttons per character for attacks, at least one button to "click" stuff you point at which leaves us with three buttons left for the magic system, inventory/character management, pause screen and map.

Also if you play on a pc you have the mouse and keyboard in front of you the whole time. Except when you want use a controller to sit further away from the screen, and in that case you're going to miss hidden switches and stuff unless you have an enourmous monitor that compensates the distance.

I'm not saying it's impossible port this to a console and have it be the same smooth experience, I'm just saying it would probably take a lot more work than letting people bind buttons to keys.

Oh and then there's the issue of taking notes as you go along.

It seems like the game would be great on a pad though. EDIT: I mean on a tablet
Last edited by DunCrow on Wed Apr 11, 2012 12:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lemny

Post by Lemny »

I would like controller support too. But i don't think it works here.
XPadder is a great way to try... I played MassEffect 3 with XPadder in a combination with a GlovePie Script for Weapon selection and it worked great.

My Gaming PC stands in my living room together with my XBox, PS3 an Wii plugged in my 55" LED TV.
I have a Keyboard/Mouse combi on a wooden plate to play, but I prefer an controller because its more relaxing.
Darklord

Post by Darklord »

Yeah the Almost Human guys have said it has been designed soley for use with Keyboard and Mouse, that being said maybe a fan get the game working on pad once it's out, hopefully they'll post and let us know. :)

Daniel.
A gently fried snail slice is absolutely delicious with a pat of butter...