[MOD] Forbidden Halls

Talk about creating Grimrock 1 levels and mods here. Warning: forum contains spoilers!
Adrageron

Re: [MOD] Forbidden Halls

Post by Adrageron »

theruler wrote:Is this a challenge? ;-)
No, just a warning :twisted: Design of some levels involves the active use of automap.
But if someone ever managed to do that, he will deserve a title of Ultimate Oldgamer Of All Times 8-)
python79

Post by python79 »

He really means it. Without the automap, I would have never make it across the 6th level. ;)
python79

Post by python79 »

This time i think i'm stuck for good.
SpoilerShow
I gained access to the council chambers, got the "destruction key" but i'm unable to access the room linked to the scrolls "W-I-S-D-O-M".
One of the storage room was a nest of slimes that i didn't bother to check completely and i didn't close the door. Now the council chambers are FLOODING with slimes ! Could it be you put an infinite spawn point in there ? Now I can't go anywhere, slimes piling by dozens in the corridors !!!

The same goes for the forbidden halls, i managed to kill 4 morgoroths (or whatever their names...) but now a legion of undead minions haunts the place. I barely escaped with a useless treasure.

If the key of destruction is supposed to be used in one of those places, i'm SCREWED. :shock:
Adrageron

Post by Adrageron »

python79 wrote:This time i think i'm stuck for good.
SpoilerShow
I gained access to the council chambers, got the "destruction key" but i'm unable to access the room linked to the scrolls "W-I-S-D-O-M".
One of the storage room was a nest of slimes that i didn't bothered to check completely and i didn't closed the door. Now the council chambers are FLOODING with slimes ! Could it be you put an infinite spawn point in there ? Now I can't go anywhere, slimes piling by dozens in the corridors !!!

The same goes for the forbidden halls, i managed to kill 4 morgoroths (or whatever their names...) but now a legion of undead minions haunts the place. I barely escaped with a useless treasure.

If the key of destruction is supposed to be used in one of those places, i'm SCREWED. :shock:
SpoilerShow
Yes, you need access to that room at Council Chambers. Infinite slime flood can be easily prevented by closing achemist's guild door, I did not think that problems can arise at that point :roll: Will close door automatically in the next update to prevent this situation...
If it's any consolation, you almost completed the mod. You only missed the final battle.
Do you mind if I ask you a few questions? :roll:
How long it took to reach your current position?
What about secret finding statistics?
What is the overall impression of mod?
Were there any boring or monotonous moments?
python79

Post by python79 »

Adrageron wrote: Do you mind if I ask you a few questions? :roll:
How long it took to reach your current position?
What about secret finding statistics?
What is the overall impression of mod?
Were there any boring or monotonous moments?
If I find the motivation, i'll try it again.

1. It took me 11 hours 15 min
2. secrets 17/42 and treasures 3/3
3. excellent mod, it shows in many ways you put a lot of work in designing the puzzles (they were never too far fetched, absolutely logical), the themes of the levels appealed me to see "what's next ?"
SpoilerShow
(the labyrinthine 6th floor was an ingenious nightmare and the relaxing decorum of the 9th floor was a good change of pace).
4. Nope, only "extremely frustrating" moments but for the most part it was due to my lack of observation and my laziness in concocting potions. :mrgreen:
The only parts i found "unfair" was
SpoilerShow
the sea of flesh and those infinite spawns in the last two levels.
If you have any other project in mind, count on me to play it sir ! :lol:
Adrageron

Post by Adrageron »

Updated to version 1.1.
Fixed critical bug - in v. 1.0. mod was unfinishable due the lack of a key at level 8.
Fixed possible "slime flood" at level 9.

If you started to play at v.1.0. it is STRONGLY recommended to update and begin anew, otherwise you will be unable to finish mod.
I am really sorry for that inconvenience :(

python79, thank you for your answers, it is a real pleasure to know, that my work was not in vain :)
If you have any other project in mind, count on me to play it sir !
SpoilerShow
Well, I have made a TBS game. But it is not yet published in english, only russian version for now :roll:
Adrageron

Post by Adrageron »

Published mod on Mod DB. Maybe for someone it will be more convenient to download from there.
xhantos

Post by xhantos »

I'm now at Level5 hungry pits v1.4, 17/44 secrets, this took nearly 6 hours and I'm playing with easy setting.

This one is another very very good mod.

Here are my impressions so far:
- Puzzles are straight forward. Not too hard or unfair. You always have enough clues, and some are really original and enjoyable to solve.
- Atmosphere is excellent. It even gets better as you progress. Rooms all have names, after a while you feel like the dungeon is real.
- Changes to original game(play) like earning experience with finding secrets and other achievements, shields on wall hooks, bookshelves, new books, all the alchemy, usable scrolls etc. feels OK. Because magic runes was changed, you need to rediscover spells. At first I was reluctant to do that, but it turned out I was able to enjoy finding scrolls and memorizing them one more time.

In summary, I'm really NOT looking forward to finish this one, because then it will be finished and consumed.

Thanks and congrats Adrageron.
Adrageron

Post by Adrageron »

Hi, xhantos!
Thanks for detailed feedback! And good luck at lower levels ;)
xhantos

Post by xhantos »

Status report:

I'm now at Level6, 8.5 hours, 21/44 Secrets, 2 sanctuaries found, at the NW 'Call my name' puzzle.

(I'm stuck, this puzzle is the first one I wasn't able to figure out in 10 minutes...)

I must say the corridors (Level6) are ingenious. And I repeat, the storyline/atmosphere is excellent.

EDIT: Figured it out. I was overthinking.