Creating NPC characters ?

Talk about creating Grimrock 1 levels and mods here. Warning: forum contains spoilers!
AmiDARK

Creating NPC characters ?

Post by AmiDARK »

Hi All,

Does someone have any idea on how it may be possible to create Non Player Character using monsters, entities, or scripts ?

I think it may be interesting to create NPC characters to add more "signs of life" in the dungeons we may create for Grimrock Universe.

Kindest Regards,
Decayer

Re: Creating NPC characters ?

Post by Decayer »

If you make a monster with zero sight range it will be unable to detect you, so it will wander around at random/stand guard indefinitely depending on their AI settings; that seems like a good place to start.
Kuningas

Post by Kuningas »

Decayer wrote:If you make a monster with zero sight range it will be unable to detect you, so it will wander around at random/stand guard indefinitely depending on their AI settings; that seems like a good place to start.
Will it attack if you attack it?
BASILEUS
Decayer

Post by Decayer »

Not in my experience.
AmiDARK

Post by AmiDARK »

Decayer :
It seem to be a good idea ... Adding to this a script when we reach the tile just near the monster ... may allow to create *fake* interaction between the monster and you ...
Thank you for these informations.
nichg

Post by nichg »

I've done a few things like create a space behind a grate with a monster there, and a hidden pressure plate in front of the grate that activates a timer that displays NPC text once every 2 seconds or so (gets around the 5 line limit of hudPrint). I think the real challenge though is to figure out how to make an NPC that is somewhat interactive, even to the extent of saying 'yes' or 'no' to a question without something that feels kinda forced like putting a rock in alcove A or alcove B/pull lever A or lever B/etc.

One trick I used for a shop NPC was to have 'token' scrolls scattered around the room and dungeon in general, which could be used to choose what you want to buy. So as you explore more, you get new tokens you can use to buy new things at the shop. A bonus is that if you do it right, the scrolls themselves can tell the players the item they're getting, the price, etc (you just need to write it in a standard way so you can pull out the numbers with the shop script). It still requires the player to use two separate alcoves though (one for the token, one for the payment) and feels a little awkward. I'd justify it by having it be something like a mail order company with a payment chute and delivery chute except then I'd have to guard against the player accidentally losing items to the pit when it opens.

If the devs are reading this, having the ability to pop up boxed text and menu choices would be wonderful!

Actually, I'm curious if you could do something using the rune system. It'd be rough if someone wanted to play a party without casters, but you could in principle make a 'yes' spell and a 'no' spell, whose only functions are to engage the conversation system.

Return to “Modding”