Most Complicated/Cumbersome Games You've Ever Played

General discussion that is not related to Grimrock goes here.
Crashbanito

Most Complicated/Cumbersome Games You've Ever Played

Post by Crashbanito »

Hello folks!

We've all played our fair share of games where everything was nice, neat, and simple. The GUI was nice and the game taught you properly through game-play.

Then there are those games which you just wanted to enjoy, but perhaps bad design decisions or cumbersome controls just got in the way of your good time.

A game I remember fondly wanting to enjoy, because of the amount of depth present was Dwarf Fortress. Everything about the game seemed amazing. A life simulation involving dwarves where the goal was to survive against other creatures and the elements. Sounds really good on paper, but with no proper in-game tutorial and a massive amount of things to manage at once became too daunting of a task. Plus watching 3 hour tutorials on-line is never any fun. Through alpha funding I have been able to play its spiritual successor,Towns, and I must say it is shaping up to be something great. ;)

Another game that I desperately want to be able to get into is the original Fallout. It has all the elements of a good RPG, but falls prey to the syndrome of being unjustly unforgiving. A guard tells you to sheathe your weapon before going into town. Sounds reasonable, unless you accidentally switch weapons. At that point you are shot on site. I'd love to see this game get remade using a new engine (one that will actually scale the image properly), better GUI, and of course get rid of some of the beginner's traps.

So what about you guys? Have any quirky game stories you'd like to share?
Grimrock FAQ | If you see something fishy, flag that post! | My Gaming/Tech Blog
Codpiece of Doom

Re: Most Complicated/Cumbersome Games You've Ever Played

Post by Codpiece of Doom »

I have to say i agree with you regarding dwarf fortress, its a great concept in principle, and perhaps I should give it more of a chance, but it just seems like a tremendously steep learning curve if some of the aforementioned youtube tutorials go by, perhaps it seems like too much micromanagement for me personally, as for my own suggestions i'll get back when ive given some more thought to the subject. :)
"There are some who call me 'Tim' ?"
"...greetings, Tim the Enchanter."
Fnord

Post by Fnord »

Crashbanito wrote: A game I remember fondly wanting to enjoy, because of the amount of depth present was Dwarf Fortress. Everything about the game seemed amazing. A life simulation involving dwarves where the goal was to survive against other creatures and the elements. Sounds really good on paper, but with no proper in-game tutorial and a massive amount of things to manage at once became too daunting of a task. Plus watching 3 hour tutorials on-line is never any fun. Through alpha funding I have been able to play its spiritual successor,Towns, and I must say it is shaping up to be something great. ;)
The trick to enjoying Dwarf Fortress is to get to know its near mandatory wiki

The most complex game I've ever tried to enjoy is Aurora. It is a game that makes Dwarf Fortress veterans cry because of its complexity...
Jack Dandy

Post by Jack Dandy »

Aw, come on bro!
Those games really aren't that hard to get into.

Let's try to get you into them one more time. :twisted:

For Dwarf Fortress: Leave the youtube tutorials alone, they're boring and tedious. Who wants to watch someone else play a game, anyway?
What you gotta do is this: First off, DL the latest version of DF. Then, go to this site:
http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/ ... tart_guide
The magmawiki's quickstart guide will teach you almost everything you need to know to get a stable fortress up and running. The wiki also has info on just about anything DF-related you can imagine. Why not give it one more go? It may be worth it!

For Fallout: GOG are offering the game for free for the next couple of days, so it's a perfect opportunity to give it another shot. It's simply a very good game. Don't expect it to hold your hand. Read the manual, save often if you don't like being punished, and I'm almost certain you'll enjoy it.
I treated it as more of a classic "Quest/adventure" type game, and I sure did enjoy it.
Crashbanito

Post by Crashbanito »

Perhaps after Deus Ex I might give Fallout another go so I can properly get into Fallout 2.

I've already pretty much given up on Dwarf Fortress and substituted it for Towns. It's amazing what a proper GUI can do for a game.

Oddly enough I actually find watching people play games quite relaxing. All the fun of visual stimulation without any of the thought. :lol:
Grimrock FAQ | If you see something fishy, flag that post! | My Gaming/Tech Blog
Codpiece of Doom

I agree with what has been said about fallout, its one of those corner stones of gaming that shouldn't go missed! I am fanatical about the fallout games though but ive tried to factor out my own bias 8-)
Mameluk

Post by Mameluk »

Fnord wrote: The most complex game I've ever tried to enjoy is Aurora. It is a game that makes Dwarf Fortress veterans cry because of its complexity...
Challenge accepted :twisted:
WarBaby2

Post by WarBaby2 »

Falcom 4.0... 'nuf said.
Codpiece of Doom

WarBaby2 wrote:Falcom 4.0... 'nuf said.
The manual is as thick as 'war and peace'. It took me the best part of a week to learn to take of and land properly never mind shoot anything down, but i had a feeling of immense satisfaction from doing it. This was the one i was thinking of posting myself, as ive never seen a game with such a complex, bewildering manual.
WarBaby2

Post by WarBaby2 »

Codpiece of Doom wrote:
WarBaby2 wrote:Falcom 4.0... 'nuf said.
The manual is as thick as 'war and peace'. It took me the best part of a week to learn to take of and land properly never mind shoot anything down, but i had a feeling of immense satisfaction from doing it. This was the one i was thinking of posting myself, as ive never seen a game with such a complex, bewildering manual.
You know this game was built together with US airforce flight instructores, do you?^^ I played it for over a year or so, back in the day... well, actually I really started playing after a month... never had to put so much time into a game again... ever.