Dungeon Editor Public Beta

Talk about creating Grimrock 1 levels and mods here. Warning: forum contains spoilers!
antti

Dungeon Editor Public Beta

Post by antti »

Hello you all!

The dungeon editor is in public beta right now. And we've got some bug hunting to do!

What we need all of you testers out there to do is to try out the editor to your hearts content and if you encounter anything suspicious (crashes, unexpected behavior, glitches etc), report back to here on this forum. But do check out [url="viewtopic.php?f=14&t=3017]the thread of known editor issues[/url] and try to search the forums a bit to see if there's an old thread on the topic already you could post into instead of starting a new thread.

Anyways, in addition to testing the editor, we definitely need help testing the main game as well: there's a LOT of changes under the hood and unfortunately we haven't had very much time to test it out. Start a new game or play through using Toorum mode or take your old saves and go from there: we need to test everything! And even if everything goes smoothly in your playthrough, you should report that here as well. :)

Also play through mods people have created and uploaded to Workshop or Grimrock Nexus and see if there's some suspicious behavior (even though sometimes it might be difficult to tell if the "suspicious behavior" is the level designer's fault or not ;) ) and pay attention in to how save games function with modded content.

Oh, and we also have the modding documentation that we can also revise. If you have comments, suggestions, need for clarification or maybe even some important topics that you would like us to write about that we haven't covered yet (but keep in mind that we, of course, simply don't have time to write about everything).

I'll update this post if there's any specific area we need help testing in or some other beta editor -related annonucements. But this is it for now, have fun modding! (And take backups of your dungeons since this is a beta after all! :) )
Steven Seagal of gaming industry
Jack Dandy

Re: Dungeon Editor Public Beta

Post by Jack Dandy »

Would it be okay to start a thread dedicated to general Editor hiccups, glitches, and problems?
antti

Post by antti »

Jack Dandy wrote:Would it be okay to start a thread dedicated to general Editor hiccups, glitches, and problems?
Yeah, why not. There's bound to be a thread like that sooner or later anyways. :)
NobodyVan

Post by NobodyVan »

I can't see/find the Dungeon Editor in Steam, what can i do? I already restarted steam a couple of times.
antti

Post by antti »

NobodyVan wrote:I can't see/find the Dungeon Editor in Steam, what can i do? I already restarted steam a couple of times.
Did you opt in to the beta by right clicking on the game in your Steam Library and going to properties -> beta?
Depili

Post by Depili »

You might want to update/delete the outdated asset usage terms post in here ;)
NobodyVan

Post by NobodyVan »

antti wrote:
NobodyVan wrote:I can't see/find the Dungeon Editor in Steam, what can i do? I already restarted steam a couple of times.
Did you opt in to the beta by right clicking on the game in your Steam Library and going to properties -> beta?
Ohhhh, I must have been blind :) Thanks a lot !
Ixnatifual

Post by Ixnatifual »

Damn, my computer isn't back yet from the repair dudes. They're slow as Hell. And the laptop I'm using until it's back is ancient.
xmahle

Post by xmahle »

Is this the first crash?

Code: Select all

[string "DungeonEditor.lua"]:0: attempt to perform arithmetic on field 'x' (a nil value)
stack traceback:
	[string "DungeonEditor.lua"]: in function 'mapView'
	[string "DungeonEditor.lua"]: in function 'update'
	[string "Grimrock.lua"]: in main chunk

OS Version 6.1

OEM ID: 0
Number of processors: 4
Page size: 4096
Processor type: 586

Total memory: 8047 MB
Free memory: 4153 MB

Display device 0:
  Device name: \\.\DISPLAY1
  Device string: ATI FirePro M7820
  State flags: 00000001

Display device 1:
  Device name: \\.\DISPLAY2
  State flags: 00000005

Display device 2:
  Device name: \\.\DISPLAY3
  State flags: 00000000

Display device 3:
  Device name: \\.\DISPLAY4

Display device 4:
  Device name: \\.\DISPLAY5

Display device 5:
  Device name: \\.\DISPLAYV1
  Device string: RDPDD Chained DD
  State flags: 00200008

Display device 6:
  Device name: \\.\DISPLAYV2
  Device string: RDP Encoder Mirror Driver

Display device 7:
  Device name: \\.\DISPLAYV3
  Device string: RDP Reflector Display Driver
I'm not sure this had anything to do with the crash but this happened when I was playing with stairs without any walls around it, and using hidden walls to make it look like normal wall.

I was just adding & removing hidden wall in same location... playing around.. when...

Br,
Xmahle
Ktulu

Post by Ktulu »

Hi,

First of all, thanks for this game and the huge work you have done to bring us an editor.

I've bought the game from Humble Store and I can't download the dungeon editor beta release. Of course, I could use the steam key provided. But I don't want do deal with Steam.
That was one of the reasons I didn't bought the game on Steam.

So, I'm quite disapointed that you used such a bloody service like this to spread this beta :(

Regards,

Pierre

Return to “Modding”