Screen Sizes

General discussion that is not related to Grimrock goes here.
DJK

Screen Sizes

Post by DJK »

Im growing tired of my current 26" screen (2years old) and occassioany start browsing the monitor sections in tabloids or sites to check out potential replacements... now I remember starting out on a television monitor (back on my amiga), then going to 15", 17", 19", 21", 24" and now my 27"... each time I grew bigger, each time at first I was "wow look how big" and after sometime I'm like "meh"...

Thing is, while browsing through sites of monitors and stuff I see a awefull LOT of 24" (or around that size) displays.. I went to my local electronics store and they didn't even have anything bigger then 26"... What's going on here ? Has technology stopped 2 years ago ? Where are all the cheap 30" or bigger screens ? Everytime I do find a bigger than 27" screen it costs a fortune (and budget is tight.. I bought this screen for 300 euro 2 years ago which is a good price for a monitor in my eyes)..

Is 27" really still considered big ? Am I spoiled ? Or am I just overlooking those great 30 and beyond monitors for a descent price ?
Dr.Disaster

Re: Screen Sizes

Post by Dr.Disaster »

You overlook that when monitors reach the 28" size also their native resolution steps up from 1920x1080 to 2560x1600. Such a larger lcd matrix costs more to make thus prices ramp up a lot.
glyn_ie

Post by glyn_ie »

Get a HDTV. You'll never go back to monitors.

Just check the following...with a HD-Ready TV:
Supports 1080i: Still looks good with NVidia desktop resize but it'll be squashed/blurry and lower resolution.
Supports 1080p: The screen is made up of at least 1920x1080 pixels.
Sol_HSA

Post by Sol_HSA »

Or wait a couple of years and get a qhd (4k) display.. ;)
Reminder: moderators (green names) don't work for almost human. | http://iki.fi/sol/ - My schtuphh..
jontycampbell

Post by jontycampbell »

I remember when a 14" Hercules VDU was big...
DJK

Post by DJK »

glyn_ie wrote:Get a HDTV. You'll never go back to monitors.

Just check the following...with a HD-Ready TV:
Supports 1080i: Still looks good with NVidia desktop resize but it'll be squashed/blurry and lower resolution.
Supports 1080p: The screen is made up of at least 1920x1080 pixels.
I always was against usinga TV for computing because I figured they are "lower res".. I mean you are saying the TV at "least" supports 1920x1080 pixels.. thats already 1step down than my current 1920x1200 res I use onm y 27".. if my tv is bigger than 27" (and it ofc should be), and uses a lower res.. then well it won't be as sharp as I'm used to right ?
Komag

Post by Komag »

Yes, you're perfectly correct. Some people just like having a HUGE TV sitting right in front of their face. And I can understand that - sometimes having the screen size be so big can add to immersion and fun when playing a game, even if the pixels aren't as sharp you don't notice it much after a while.
Finished Dungeons - complete mods to play
DJK

Post by DJK »

Komag wrote:Yes, you're perfectly correct. Some people just like having a HUGE TV sitting right in front of their face. And I can understand that - sometimes having the screen size be so big can add to immersion and fun when playing a game, even if the pixels aren't as sharp you don't notice it much after a while.
Thought so :(

Exampel:
http://www.pixmania.be/be/nl/12542221/a ... -full.html

1800 euro for a 30"... I bought my 27" for 300 euro... it's just not "proportional" :(
Bees

Post by Bees »

DJK wrote:
Komag wrote:Yes, you're perfectly correct. Some people just like having a HUGE TV sitting right in front of their face. And I can understand that - sometimes having the screen size be so big can add to immersion and fun when playing a game, even if the pixels aren't as sharp you don't notice it much after a while.

Exampel:

1800 euro for a 30"... I bought my 27" for 300 euro... it's just not "proportional" :(
That's because you're not taking into account the quality of the panel. The NEC you linked has an IPS screen with 10-bit color accuracy. Unless you import a Korean panel duty-free, you'll be hard pressed to get a 27 inch screen that's anything other than a cheap 6-bit TN panel for 300 dollars.
Dr.Disaster

Post by Dr.Disaster »

Bees wrote:
DJK wrote:

Exampel:

That's because you're not taking into account the quality of the panel. The NEC you linked has an IPS screen with 10-bit color accuracy. Unless you import a Korean panel duty-free, you'll be hard pressed to get a 27 inch screen that's anything other than a cheap 6-bit TN panel for 300 dollars.
Aye, this beside the difference in display resolution (pixel size is down to .25 mm from .3 mm in a 27" display) and quality.

Return to “Off-topic Discussion”