Random party setup?

Talk about anything Legend of Grimrock 1 related here.
Eobersig

Random party setup?

Post by Eobersig »

Is there an easy way (dev concole perhaps?) to start a game with a completely random party? I mean really random, every character just gets random attributes, skills and traits.

I find me wanting to start a new run with a new team (on normal difficulty) and was thinking about whether a run with a random team might work. Storywise it would fit I guess, just 4 random guys/gals thrown into the dungeon together.
Thels

Re: Random party setup?

Post by Thels »

You could just use a single die for this.

Roll for race:
1 Human.
2 Minotaur.
3 Lizardman.
4 Insectoid.
5-6 Reroll.

Roll for gender (unless portraits for only one gender of that race are still available):
1-3 Male.
4-6 Female.

If human male, roll for portrait:
1 Green cloak guy.
2 Purple hood guy.
3 Bald guy.
4 Tanned guy.
5 Fat guy.
6 Reroll.
If you roll a portrait that's already used for another character, reroll.

If not human male, roll for portrait (unless only one portrait of that race and gender is still available):
1-3 Left portrait.
4-6 Right portrait.

Roll for class:
1-2 Fighter.
3-4 Mage.
5-6 Rogue.

Roll for attribute scores:
1 Strength.
2 Dexterity.
3 Vitality.
4 Willpower.
5-6 Reroll.
Assign a single point, then reroll for the next point. If you roll an attribute score that's maxed out, reroll.
Alternatively, you can assign two points per roll, since attributes benefit more from an even number of points.

Roll two dice per trait (or roll twice if you only have one die):
1 and 2: Aggressive.
1 and 3: Agile.
1 and 4: Athletic.
1 and 5: Aura.
1 and 6: Cold-blooded.
2 and 3: Evasive.
2 and 4: Demon Ancestor.
2 and 5: Fist Fighter.
2 and 6: Head Hunter (reroll both dice when not a Minotaur).
3 and 4: Healthy.
3 and 5: Natural Armor (reroll both dice when not an Insectoid).
3 and 6: Poison Resistant.
4 and 5: Skilled.
4 and 6: Strong Mind.
5 and 6: Tough.
If you roll doubles, reroll one die.
Roll again for your second trait. If you roll the same trait again, reroll both dice.
The order of the dice doesn't matter. For example, 5 and 2 is identical to 2 and 5.

Roll a die for your skills:
1 Athletics or Air Magic or Assassination.
2 Armors or Earth Magic or Daggers.
3 Axes or Fire Magic or Dodge.
4 Maces of Ice Magic or Missile Weapons.
5 Swords or Spellcraft or Throwing Weapons.
6 Unarmed Combat or Staff Defense.
Assign a single point, then reroll for the next point.
Alternatively, you can roll once and assign all points.

Click Generate to determine a random name. Then repeat the process for the next character.

Some combinations will be far from useful, especially if you roll attribute and skill points per individual point.
Eobersig

Post by Eobersig »

Thels wrote:You could just use a single die for this.

Some combinations will be far from useful, especially if you roll attribute and skill points per individual point.
Thanks, Thels, of course you're right. Just shows that I've forgotten my old 2d12 days. :)
I guess I'll give that a go. I'm curious how far I come.
Thels

Post by Thels »

Let us know what party you come up with. :)
Ixnatifual

Post by Ixnatifual »

A group of 4 mages without magic.
Eobersig

Post by Eobersig »

Kontok, a Minotaur rogue with the Aura trait: http://i.imgur.com/MwIfG.jpg
Bawan, a Lizardman mage: http://i.imgur.com/0CCCS.jpg
Murto, a Lizardman rogue (strong minded!): http://i.imgur.com/P8xgK.jpg
Pizard, an Insectoid fighter with strength 10: http://i.imgur.com/3CXuO.jpg

That will be fun. :)
Thels

Post by Thels »

Aggressive Mage. :)

And you have 2x Aggressive and 2x Skilled. In addition, your Fighter has both the Athletic trait and a skill point in Athletics. I'm taking Murto and Pizard are going to be your front guys?

The fighters in my party had a strength of 10 as well. Nothing wrong with that. Of course they had a Dexterity and a Vitality of 16. :)
Eobersig

Post by Eobersig »

Thels wrote:Aggressive Mage. :)

And you have 2x Aggressive and 2x Skilled. In addition, your Fighter has both the Athletic trait and a skill point in Athletics. I'm taking Murto and Pizard are going to be your front guys?

The fighters in my party had a strength of 10 as well. Nothing wrong with that. Of course they had a Dexterity and a Vitality of 16. :)
Aye, ran the party through dungeon level 1 now, Pizard and Murto as front guys. Had to switch Murto with Kontok at the Herders there (cheesed it with shutting the door for switching positions and waiting for cooldowns). 2x2 strafed for the skeleton warrior. No death so far. Bawan, the mage got his staff and first scroll, pity he hasn't enough points in spellcraft and fire magic to actually use any of those - I'm only casting spells I've found the scroll for.

Fun party. Good team. Pizard is the boss, fighter with willpower 16, that guy has charisma! :)
Merethif

Post by Merethif »

Actually Willpower comes handy for unarmed fighters/rogue. I've found out that my rogues that fights unarmed use lots of energy.
Sadly neither Pizard nor strong minded Murto have Fist Fighter trait, and there are only one Pit Fighter Gloves to be found.

I think daggers use quite a bit of energy too, so Aura on Kontok may pay off if you'll go for daggers, but somehow I guess you'll chose Throwing Weapons ;-)

Anyway, have fun with your random party :-D
Eobersig

Post by Eobersig »

For people wanting to try the same, my search engine directed me to an online dice roller at http://www.brockjones.com/dieroller/dice.htm. Nice thing is that you can roll all types of dice. Use the d4 dice for race, than the d3 for class, etc.