Just finished on Hard. Wow. I'm 13 yrs old again!

Talk about anything Legend of Grimrock 1 related here.
Nefarious

Just finished on Hard. Wow. I'm 13 yrs old again!

Post by Nefarious »

Thank you so much AH for creating a game that not only brought back memories but is a fantastic game even when compared to its contemporaries. I'm 38 now and have been playing RPG's since The Bard's Tale. This was truly a work of love and dedication. I needed help for about 3 puzzles all of which I went "damn I should have know that!" upon reading. I even enjoyed that last 2 "Evil Wizard of Oz" lvls. My only hope is perhaps the next one could contain dialogue from the characters ex. banter between them and also perhaps merchants and a minor economy. My thinking was along the lines of a town like Skara Brae leading to the dungeon.

Anyway, just wanted to pass along my thanks. Not to get all serious on you but my brother passed away last week from Cancer and I must say that Grimrock helped me keep my mind off things and reminded me of the days the two of us as kids sat in front of the ol' radiation king 3000 on my Commodore 64 trying to figure out how to solve a difficult puzzle on one those Grimrockesque rpgs. Kudos!
zuffazombie

Re: Just finished on Hard. Wow. I'm 13 yrs old again!

Post by zuffazombie »

sorry to hear about your brother that is really too bad. i am the same, my brother and i used to do the same thing one of us on the keyboard and the other with the graph paper doing the mapping. great memories

i hope they make more dungeons soon, had a blast playing this game
Darklord

Post by Darklord »

Condolences on your brother, glad to hear you got so much pleasure from LoG.

Daniel.
A gently fried snail slice is absolutely delicious with a pat of butter...
Audi Swift

Post by Audi Swift »

sorry to hear about your brother i really am, has i have a friend who has got Cancer & he might not mkae it though this year :cry:

however i am glad this great game is helping you to carry on.....
Time Waits For No 1
alexkidd

Post by alexkidd »

I agree I'd like to see some "minor economy".
If a merchant can't fit in the setting, maybe a funny monster npc would be nice.
Who sells good weapons(which are useless to him) for a certain kind of food. Not just any food. Really good food. Like pie for instance :)
Frankly I can't wait to see the next expansion or next dungeon crawler AH will make!

And please accept my condolences.
Darklord

Post by Darklord »

alexkidd wrote:. Not just any food. Really good food. Like pie for instance :)
Trade away Pie?! :shock:

No way! :twisted:

Daniel.
A gently fried snail slice is absolutely delicious with a pat of butter...
Goffmog

Post by Goffmog »

Nefarious wrote:Thank you so much AH for creating a game that not only brought back memories but is a fantastic game even when compared to its contemporaries. I'm 38 now and have been playing RPG's since The Bard's Tale. This was truly a work of love and dedication. I needed help for about 3 puzzles all of which I went "damn I should have know that!" upon reading. I even enjoyed that last 2 "Evil Wizard of Oz" lvls. My only hope is perhaps the next one could contain dialogue from the characters ex. banter between them and also perhaps merchants and a minor economy. My thinking was along the lines of a town like Skara Brae leading to the dungeon.

Anyway, just wanted to pass along my thanks. Not to get all serious on you but my brother passed away last week from Cancer and I must say that Grimrock helped me keep my mind off things and reminded me of the days the two of us as kids sat in front of the ol' radiation king 3000 on my Commodore 64 trying to figure out how to solve a difficult puzzle on one those Grimrockesque rpgs. Kudos!
This post brought a tear to my eye. I'm 32 now and most of my favourite gaming memories from my childhood are of my brother and I battling our way through Dungeon Master on the Atari ST when I was 8 and he was 6. Took us about 3 years to beat it! From then on we raced eachother to finish almost every RPG that ever there was, until careers started to get too serious and the internet started to get too good at helping you cheat :) Have yet to find out if he's beaten Grimrock, although his steam shows way more hours on it than mine does, so he probably has!

I have mixed feelings about shops in games though. I think it's fine as long as it doesn't hamper the dungeon experience. I remember playing DM2 and feeling as though the shop/village mechanic took a lot out of the dungeoneering side of the game. I'd like maybe one or two opportunities to buy and sell in the game, without the ability to grind for infinite money or to repeatedly go back to the shops. e.g. you meet someone at a crucial point in the dungeon who you can trade with, then he leaves. If you didn't find all the treasure you can't buy the most expensive thing he has, etc.
alexkidd

Post by alexkidd »

Goffmog wrote:
I'd like maybe one or two opportunities to buy and sell in the game, without the ability to grind for infinite money or to repeatedly go back to the shops. e.g. you meet someone at a crucial point in the dungeon who you can trade with, then he leaves. If you didn't find all the treasure you can't buy the most expensive thing he has, etc.
I like your idea. I think the op was also thinking along those lines when he said "minor economy". It would serve more as an event.
One thing that comes to mind is in "Lands of Lore" there was a shop in the swamps. A lizard blacksmith selling good weapons. But once you cleared the area you couldn't go back.
It was also one of the two places you could buy a weapon in "Lands of Lore".
Darklord wrote: Trade away Pie?! :shock:
To get a lost legendary weapon I think a piece of pie needs to be sacrificed :D
Nefarious

Post by Nefarious »

Thanks for the kind words guys. I personally enjoyed The Bard's Tale when one was able to wander the city and then enter the dungeons. It gave you a feeling of safety and "coming up for air" so to speak.
Kwibus

Post by Kwibus »

Ah the Bard's Tale... I'd love to play that game again.

I downloaded it a week ago, but the gameplay and way it's being controlled just feel so incredibly awkward that I decided not to waste too much time on it.
Didn't find any improved versions like DM has and no community backing it as well. Too bad... such a great game.