RE: I've had it with this game

Talk about anything Legend of Grimrock 1 related here.
Zero

RE: I've had it with this game

Post by Zero »

It's a shame that other thread was locked. It actually made me chuckle. Sure, there are some frustrating and enigmatic puzzles in LoG but, believe me, you're not the first, you're just having a "SCREW BEAR" moment.

Imagine the old days, before forums, before Google (for cheats) and before ANY kind of web, gamers were on their own. Literally. One of the earliest fits of rage quit has a place firmly in old-school game-lore. The first RPGs were text based, so you had only your wits and a limited vocabulary to solve any given problem. These early text adventure games use a minimal parser, recognizing 2-word commands of the form VERB NOUN. The parser only scanned the first three letters of each command, so inputting SCREAM BEAR, SCRATCH BEAR or SCREW BEAR would be treated identically. In one famous incident, a player encounters a bear, spends DAYS (in real time) trying all manner of things to get around or deal with the bear blocking his path. Finally, now really enraged, the player typed 'SCREW BEAR' and, to his surprise, the bear ran away!

The 'correct' response was to SCREAM (at the) BEAR, but the parser only took SCRew BEAr and took it as correct. :)

You're not the first - or the last - to rage over a game but you have plenty of support and I'm sure lots of people here could steer you in the right direction without ruining the fun...
oodyboo

Re: RE: I've had it with this game

Post by oodyboo »

Reminds me of the first King's Quest. Really a great game but I remember getting stuck in a few places trying to guess the right word to type when I knew exactly what to do.

As for the other thread, I think the guy just needed to take a break when he got stuck.

The 'difficulty' of the puzzles makes it that much more rewarding when you figure them out.

That said, I did look up a couple of them myself before I reached the SCREW BEAR stage
Zero

Post by Zero »

For a little perspective, this might help. Run the ADVENT prog and pick an adventure. If he thinks LoG is maddening.. lol
Callipygous

Post by Callipygous »

Zork 1 came packaged with my C64 way back in 1982(maybe it was 83). I remember being stuck for weeks at the end of the game because of the cave system that led to a thief who had stolen a jeweled egg. One(or more) of the paths in the cave system were not linear. Soooooooooooo frustrating. Having said that, it is still one of my favorite games of all time and that was 30years ago.
Darklord

Post by Darklord »

I didn't really lock the previous thread so you could reopen it again with the same title... Still as long as no one starts flaming then fair enough.

Daniel.
A gently fried snail slice is absolutely delicious with a pat of butter...
Zero

Post by Zero »

Oh no, not intending on having a fire fight, it's all in good stride! And like I said, even if someone is upset, a few gentle pointers in the right direction can't hurt. ;)

All the puzzles are logical, even if there are some good stumpers!
g4merguy

Post by g4merguy »

Yeah the moderation on these forums is pretty extreme, I think most of us can relate to the original poster...these puzzles cause lots of frustration and people vent on the forums about it...just let us discuss things

my goal with this game was to finish it without using the interwebz but after spending a LONG time trying to figure out the mages challenge I had no choice but to look it up. When I found out you needed to burn a charge of your firesword instead of actually using your MAGES spells I just about lost it. Sometimes you need to walk away and try again another time instead of boiling over like the OP did.
Phlimm

Post by Phlimm »

g4merguy wrote:Yeah the moderation on these forums is pretty extreme, I think most of us can relate to the original poster...these puzzles cause lots of frustration and people vent on the forums about it...just let us discuss things

my goal with this game was to finish it without using the interwebz but after spending a LONG time trying to figure out the mages challenge I had no choice but to look it up. When I found out you needed to burn a charge of your firesword instead of actually using your MAGES spells I just about lost it. Sometimes you need to walk away and try again another time instead of boiling over like the OP did.
Errrmmmmmm I did not burn a charge off the sword. My Fire Mage shot a fire bolt spell at it to close the pit. Just sayin'
krayzkrok

Post by krayzkrok »

Yeah, that's why it's called Mage's Challenge, heh. Given that the gargoyle shoots a fireball at you, I figured one in return might work. It did. The fire sword is for parties that don't have a mage in them.

I'm not sure the previous thread needed to be locked either. Nobody had started flaming anyone yet, although I'm sure some of us would have tried some reasonable arguments to perhaps bring the player back to the game. Instead the guy now feels frustrated and shut out.

Zero has it right though, people have been rage quitting since Pong. It's just now that we have the Internet, we get to tell the world about it! Then the next day we read what we wrote and facepalm because we look silly.
Sagagemini

Post by Sagagemini »

I read the other topic. You can see a COD or Battlefield player there. No capacity of thinking at all besides obvious hints. The pillared hallway had a note telling what to do for example.

The generation players born in this graphics whore era are mindless zombies, using games as drugs for instant pumps of adrenaline to their empty lives. Thats why they fail at RPGs and hate them.

I think players like him should never give RPGs a try, jst stay in their FPS, cause when the damage to the brain is done, there is no turning back.

He wont be missed.