Pre order...Direct or GOG?

Talk about anything Legend of Grimrock 1 related here.
Xcomet

Pre order...Direct or GOG?

Post by Xcomet »

I see that if I order from Almost Human I get the standalone installer + Steam Key, if I order from GoG I just get the standalone installer. Does this mean I will not be able to get any achievements if I order from GoG not having a Steam key? I would prefer not to use Steam however it would be nice to have the option of the achievements. Also if I Pre order from Almost Human direct will they get more cash, cause these guys deserve to do really well for all their hard work and bringing this game to us.
Jack Dandy

Re: Pre order...Direct or GOG?

Post by Jack Dandy »

Yeah, ordering directly is the best way to go. You get both a steam key and a standalone installer, AND the developers get the money directly without Steam/GOG cutting out their share.
Xcomet

Post by Xcomet »

Thank you for such a fast reply :)
Fnord

Post by Fnord »

Jack Dandy wrote:Yeah, ordering directly is the best way to go. You get both a steam key and a standalone installer, AND the developers get the money directly without Steam/GOG cutting out their share.
It is the old retailer vs ordering directly from the company kind of debate (anyone who has been into pen & paper RPGs or wargames for a while will know of this). Basically by ordering directly from the makers, they will get all (or most) of the money from the sale, but if you order it from a retailer (digital or not), then they will take a part of the cut, but chances are that they will stock more games from that company in the future, thus allowing for more exposure of the products and the company, which can drive up sales.
Sol_HSA

Post by Sol_HSA »

Only additional reason I can think of to buy from a retailer (in this case steam or GOG) is that the developer probably doesn't have similar resources for support.

To rephrase, should you need technical support with the game, you're more likely to get it from a company that actually pays salaries to people dedicated to support customers.

I've never needed support from either GOG or steam, so I don't know how well their support works, though =)
Reminder: moderators (green names) don't work for almost human. | http://iki.fi/sol/ - My schtuphh..
DJK

Post by DJK »

Jack Dandy wrote:Yeah, ordering directly is the best way to go. You get both a steam key and a standalone installer, AND the developers get the money directly without Steam/GOG cutting out their share.
How can this be true ? Valve surely must be getitng something even when ordering from Grimrock.net ? I mean you get a steam key, meaning the key must have been generated by Valve and they pay for the costs of bandwith of people downloading from steam...
Jack Dandy

Post by Jack Dandy »

You got a point, DJK. Can't say I've done publishing deals with Steam before, so I don't really know. ;)

Maybe it's a flat price for keys and extra money for appearing on the Steam list, or something like that?
Mortimer

Post by Mortimer »

Sol_HSA wrote:Only additional reason I can think of to buy from a retailer (in this case steam or GOG) is that the developer probably doesn't have similar resources for support.

To rephrase, should you need technical support with the game, you're more likely to get it from a company that actually pays salaries to people dedicated to support customers.

I've never needed support from either GOG or steam, so I don't know how well their support works, though =)
If we have a steam key won't we still be able to use their tech support, and even download the game from them? I know I have games I have bought from a store that use steam, and if I uninstall the game, steam gives me a link to download it. I could be wrong i guess.

I do know that another game I am getting from a independent developer just announced yesterday that they were looking for members on their forum to help handle tech support tickets, they do not have Steam nor GOG, this might be something for the devs to look into, I am sure people would help out if you need it :)
sea

Post by sea »

Basically, releasing on GOG and Steam is for visibility's sake. I assume most people will buy the game on Steam simply because that's where they hear about it. I doubt Almost Human get that much more money when you buy directly from them - the included Steam key certainly means Valve is getting a cut, and it sounds like the stand-alone DRM-free version might just be the GOG.com installer anyway.
EtrianO

Post by EtrianO »

Just buy it here if you can - it`s rather logical that this is the way devs get the most money. Gog/Steam are the middle man no matter how you look at it.

Tech support? Once you download it what can possibly go wrong - apart from getting stuck on a puzzle?