How does Leveling work?

Talk about anything Legend of Grimrock 1 related here.
Johnam

How does Leveling work?

Post by Johnam »

In Dungeon Master leveling was based on skill use, not on damage afflicted or mob exp kills. I was wondering if this game is adopting this model, or if they have chosen a more static kills for experience route.

If anyone knows please fire a response back my way. Thanks.
shdwdrake8

Re: How does Leveling work?

Post by shdwdrake8 »

Can't answer your question, just wanted to say how much I loved Dungeon Master 2! I was literally convinced that I was the only person that's ever played that game. Sorry for the derail, hope you get your answer. =)
Sol_HSA

Post by Sol_HSA »

It uses the more static leveling system, yes.
Reminder: moderators (green names) don't work for almost human. | http://iki.fi/sol/ - My schtuphh..
steff74

Post by steff74 »

shdwdrake8 wrote:Can't answer your question, just wanted to say how much I loved Dungeon Master 2! I was literally convinced that I was the only person that's ever played that game. Sorry for the derail, hope you get your answer. =)
just finished dungeon master 2 - again - and it was great - again!
shdwdrake8

Post by shdwdrake8 »

steff74 wrote:
shdwdrake8 wrote:Can't answer your question, just wanted to say how much I loved Dungeon Master 2! I was literally convinced that I was the only person that's ever played that game. Sorry for the derail, hope you get your answer. =)
just finished dungeon master 2 - again - and it was great - again!
One of my favorite games ever. I remember when I was a kid I was terrified to leave the safety of my "bat cave" so I just trained there non-stop, sustaining myself on bats and the occasional steak if I was brave enough to go fight dinosaurs. I'd be casting mid/high lvl Attack Minions reliably before even opening the gate to the thief/wolf area... Not to mention the fact that I'd pick the dumbest fighter for my front line, load him with Staves, and get him to Journeyman Wizard/Priest too... Yeah, I overdid it a bit. One time... I practiced wizard levels with fireballs in the 1x1 room in the bat cave for a very long time... I eventually broke the door. I felt kinda bad. I also would make entire fortresses out of Guardian Minions just to rest in hostile areas... Man I love that game.

I'm glad the OP got his answer because I've royally hijacked this thread. Sorry!!! I've waited over a decade to find other people that have played this game...
steff74

Post by steff74 »

Yes the funny this is - it runs very nice in a dosbox under my current win xp system. Game is rather simple until i got stuck on the end boss dargoth. i always got killed or pushed down from the clouds. so i ran back down to the dinosours and leveled my party - i had to finish that game again or am i already too old for this? :) - so leveled and prepared i rushed back to the top of skullkeep and casted hundreds of attack minions - so i had to do only one hit to finish him of - finally :)

now waiting till 11th of april - maybe playing deus ex in the mean time which i found on steam when preordering legend of grimrock

greetings
Johnam

Post by Johnam »

No worries guys, hijack away.

Thanks for the answer. Though the powering part of my personality loves to sit at the beginning until i'm an absolute beast. I remember spamming warcry in the first dungeon master in front of weak mobs and just steamrolling the game as result. I'll kinda miss having an exploitable system :(
Sol_HSA

Post by Sol_HSA »

Well.. If you want to cheat, why not cheat properly? ;)

I did one 'speedrun' of LoG with maxed out characters (via memory hack). Took several hours, and I still found it a fun experience. Also found one bug where game did not expect such a xp level yet. ;)
Reminder: moderators (green names) don't work for almost human. | http://iki.fi/sol/ - My schtuphh..
DJK

Post by DJK »

steff74 wrote:now waiting till 11th of april - maybe playing deus ex in the mean time which i found on steam when preordering legend of grimrock

greetings
Make sure to use the dx10 renderer for Deus Ex when playing, makes the game look a lot sharper :)
Found here: http://kentie.net/article/d3d10drv/
steff74

Post by steff74 »

DJK wrote:Make sure to use the dx10 renderer for Deus Ex when playing, makes the game look a lot sharper :)
Found here: http://kentie.net/article/d3d10drv/
Thanks but sorry, I only have WinXP with DX9.0c but the game looks nice anyway (after playing dungeon master 2 *LOL*)

I played the first mission yesterday but I think it is too time consuming for me, I will see if I play more...

Greetings