Ice Lizard spawn rate & 1.1.4

Talk about anything Legend of Grimrock 1 related here.
Durgha

Ice Lizard spawn rate & 1.1.4

Post by Durgha »

I get the impression the spawn rate of ice lizards in the Temple Grounds maze was significantly lowered. It wasn't listed in the patch notes, but the area is completely dead now. I can literally wander around for 10 minutes before encountering a lizard. They're scarce to the point you can safely rest in the maze itself, which completely nullifies the sense of danger and urgency that defined the area.

I realize a handful of individuals complained about the spawn rate, but this does not feel like an appropriate solution.
EvoluZion3

Re: Ice Lizard spawn rate & 1.1.4

Post by EvoluZion3 »

Perhaps you just cleared them all out - I played pre-patch and after killing what must have been a dozen of the little critters (luring pretty much every one back through the spinner corridor and feeling a little disappointed that they don't get confused as well like the Giant Rats did in Dungeon Master ;) ) , I can't remember encountering another one.
dastein

Post by dastein »

@EvoluZion3
They do respawn, at least 2 of them do. I felt that the spawn timer was set rather generous in 1.1.3 to begin with, but haven't been down there with 1.1.4 yet. It would be a pity if they "defused" the situation in such a way as described by Durgha.

I'm just now thinking back to the worm/ghost levels in DM and how their respawning was triggered by invisible pressure plates. Good times...
Last edited by dastein on Sun Apr 22, 2012 11:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BlueLegion

Post by BlueLegion »

I suggest closing the door behind you when you enter/exit an area with respawning enemies. That way you always know where to find them since they won't spread through the whole stage, resulting in a higher enemy density.
Drumrick

Post by Drumrick »

BlueLegion wrote:I suggest closing the door behind you when you enter/exit an area with respawning enemies. That way you always know where to find them since they won't spread through the whole stage, resulting in a higher enemy density.
This. I found Lizards at the entrance of this level, because i left the door wide open ; D
Durgha

Post by Durgha »

BlueLegion wrote:I suggest closing the door behind you when you enter/exit an area with respawning enemies. That way you always know where to find them since they won't spread through the whole stage, resulting in a higher enemy density.
This trick occurred to me during my first playthrough when I kept encountering errant snails and crabs on level 6. The lizards aren't wandering off. They're still spawning in the maze, just at a seemingly diminished frequency.
dastein wrote:@EvoluZion3
I'm just now thinking back to the worm/ghost levels in DM and how their respawning was triggered by invisible pressure plates. Good times...
I was curious if anyone had found a specific tile that spawned the lizards. The Walkabout area on 6 seems tied to spawning snails, so I figured the same mechanism might have been used elsewhere. I wandered all over level 9 trying to figure out a "trick" to spawn more lizards, but no luck so far.
krayzkrok

Post by krayzkrok »

I hope the rate hasn't changed, I need my ice lizard steaks!
Porkdish

Post by Porkdish »

I didn't notice any change. (edit:because I'm lazy and wasn't paying attention)

It was full up as usual the first time you get there, and once you clear them back to their spawning cages just east of the fighter circlet they seem to appear every 15 seconds or so, just like before. It always felt like it was a limit of 2 at a time once they where cleared on 1.1.3.

EDIT:

Well I wen't back there to reach (character level) 14, and it has changed. They seemed to spawn as normal, but eventually dried up. I could only force them to spawn once more by leaving the area a significant distance behind. Just like the flaming soldiers on level 6. They don't spawn when you're looking.

Also the end game (endless spawning) mobs are now lightweight versions of themselves. Like almost half their usual health.