Where are the Elves?

Talk about anything Legend of Grimrock 1 related here.
dark

Where are the Elves?

Post by dark »

I noticed in the Beta walk thorugh that you can not create an elven character. is there a reason for that? Im kind of bummed out that there are no Elves to be played as.
Jack Dandy

Re: Where are the Elves?

Post by Jack Dandy »

The species in Grimrock's world are humans, minotaur, lizardmen, and insectoids.

I think it's pretty refreshing take, after all the humans-dwarves-elves-orcs settings.
stout

Post by stout »

Because elfs are evil, miserable creatures who should be scrubbed from the world forever.

Freakin' elfs, man. 
silverhand

Post by silverhand »

But, what about the Gnomes?
Silverhand - Once and Future Gnome King
TΛPETRVE

Post by TΛPETRVE »

Glad there are none. I'm happy for every fantasy scenario that does without orcs, elves and other worn out Tolkien-inspired topoi. Hell, they've been a part of Dungeons & Dragons from the very beginning, but never in almost 3 decades have they been so annoyingly prominent as they are nowadays.
YOU NOW PROSSESS DRACULA'S RIB!
Uro

Post by Uro »

Eh, I've always been more partial to the "savage and intelligent isolationist" interpretation of elves rather than the "wisp-like/ethereal empty-headed frolic in the forest" version that most people seem think of.
Alaric

Post by Alaric »

"Intelligent isolationist" sounds like a bit of an oxymoron, no? :D
Arctor

Post by Arctor »

Alaric wrote:"Intelligent isolationist" sounds like a bit of an oxymoron, no? :D
Depends upon who your neighbors are. :)
Arctor

Post by Arctor »

dark wrote:I noticed in the Beta walk thorugh that you can not create an elven character. is there a reason for that? Im kind of bummed out that there are no Elves to be played as.
The Elves own the Grimrock prison system. You never see them. But they're there. If you let them be there, that is.
Fnord

Post by Fnord »

Jack Dandy wrote:The species in Grimrock's world are humans, minotaur, lizardmen, and insectoids.

I think it's pretty refreshing take, after all the humans-dwarves-elves-orcs settings.
While I would, of course, like more races and classes, I agree that if limited to 4 different races, those 4 are good choices. Humans make a good base line, something you can compare everything to, and the others are familiar enough to not require an excessive amount of explanation, while still being different enough to make them feel fresh, in particular the insectoids (I'll make sure to have at least one in my first party!). And I do by the way understand why the devs are limiting the scope a bit, and not going all "Wizardry 8", properly balancing all the classes & races, and making sure that they all bring something interesting to the table is not all that easy, and even in many bigger budget games, you will often find some classes & races that are just pointless/won't be used unless you have plenty of character slots to play with, and all your bases are already covered.