Translation?

Talk about creating Grimrock 1 levels and mods here. Warning: forum contains spoilers!
lostprophet

Translation?

Post by lostprophet »

So after I read the terms, we cannot make a fan translation legally? The translation is our work, but the lua files are AH's.
My Hungarian game translations @ http://lostprophet.weboldala.net
Andarian Fuchsfell

Re: Translation?

Post by Andarian Fuchsfell »

Yes, that's the question. I'm really interested in making a german translation or in helping to translate this fabulous game into german language.

So, I'm asking you (AH) as well. Is it possible in any way?

Best regards
Andarian Fuchsfell
lostprophet

Post by lostprophet »

Well, we're halfway throught the translation, but if AH gives us the stop, then we can't upload it anywhere. Every game benefits from native translation out there, since there are always people, who don't know English (or other languages), but would buy the game.
Crashbanito

Post by Crashbanito »

You would have to create a patcher for the original code. Redistributing the .lua files (modified or otherwise) is against their terms, but finding a way to patch what is already present or adding new code isn't.
Grimrock FAQ | If you see something fishy, flag that post! | My Gaming/Tech Blog
lostprophet

Post by lostprophet »

Or I've got a better idea. Just add the newly created translations to the installers, GOG and Steam, BAM, everyone's happy.
Translators send the texts to AH and they include them in the official versions, so it can be chosen when installing or in the Options menu.
We're happy that our translations get to a lot a people and AH is happy, because we didn't fiddle around with the .lua files.
Jeromy

Post by Jeromy »

Hello everybody

Is there a official response from the developers for this topic? I'am also very interested to help the translation-team to translate into german (if there is any translation-team...)

Jeromy
Dynosaulo

Post by Dynosaulo »

I reckon it's hard because, unless AH has someone in their team who knows that language, they have no way of verifying a translation's quality. But they could offer an in-game option of "community translations". That way it would be clear that they are not official translations and would render themselves out of any responsibility towards that translation's quality.

That said, I would *very* happily do a Portuguese translation of the game. :D
DannyD

Post by DannyD »

Dynosaulo wrote:I reckon it's hard because, unless AH has someone in their team who knows that language, they have no way of verifying a translation's quality. But they could offer an in-game option of "community translations". That way it would be clear that they are not official translations and would render themselves out of any responsibility towards that translation's quality.

That said, I would *very* happily do a Portuguese translation of the game. :D
I think translations project are a good idea also to promote the game. For me, an italian translation would be great.
theruler

Post by theruler »

Any news from the team?
I'd be interested in helping for the italian version.
Daght

Post by Daght »

theruler wrote:Any news from the team?
I'd be interested in helping for the italian version.
Siamo in due... :geek: (I'm on it!)
If we do not end the war, the war will end us.