Legend of Grimrock 2 - Suggestions

Talk about anything Legend of Grimrock 1 related here.
Sagagemini

Legend of Grimrock 2 - Suggestions

Post by Sagagemini »

Hello. I'm still on level 5 on this game and i'm loving the fact that someone decided to revive this genre (i finished all EOB and Land of Lore).

I'm pretty sure this game will have a sequel due to its success and i would like to point some suggestions to make it even better:
----------

1) Import heroes from first game

2) have 4 heroes starting the game but a maximum of 6 (you will meet several NPCs to join you or not, depending on your will).

3) Make magic more simple to see and use like tiers (example tier I Fire spells with a tab, another tab for tier II, III. Same with magic buffs.

4) Make an Attack all button like in EOB3.

5) Outside areas and underwater areas would be cool too. Underwater areas would need a spell from mage or item to be able to walk without drowning. Fire magic wouldn't work and Lightning magic would deal severe damage to all (mobs and party). Some Ice magic spells would have its duration increased, like ice prison/freeze.

6) Be able to reach level 50 with same number of skills received per level (4), adding more areas where mobs respawn.

7) Introduce a New Game + where your party can start another game with everything they got from the previous one.

8) Put enemies like ghosts that can walk through walls. They were a nice creepy touch in Lands of Lore, since you wouldn't be safe inside a locked room.

That's it. And congratulations for such masterpiece! You guys brought hope for us gamers in a dark era of brainless FPS for retards.
e8hffff

Re: Legend of Grimrock 2 - Suggestions

Post by e8hffff »

I would promise the editor comes with Grimrock 2, not separate.

Hopefully Almost-Human made extra cash to take the sequel further. Maybe employ another gfx guy/girl to do videos and game gfx.
e8hffff

Post by e8hffff »

Some of my opinions of what you requested.
Sagagemini wrote:1) Import heroes from first game
That's kind of a bonus if there is a sequel that is much harder than the first, or players would be happy to have their character underpowered simply to use the same character types.
Sagagemini wrote:2) have 4 heroes starting the game but a maximum of 6 (you will meet several NPCs to join you or not, depending on your will).
The 4 number is based on the best scenario for a square combat game as this and its management of the character's battle hud. Currently it's front, back, and sides, for attack. What you'd be asking is for a front, front middle, back, back middle, and left and right flank for both front and back.
Sagagemini wrote:3) Make magic more simple to see and use like tiers (example tier I Fire spells with a tab, another tab for tier II, III. Same with magic buffs.
In Dungeon Master you could cast spells by a sequence of keys, allowing for depth of combination of spells. It was really the best. LoG made is simple without the depth. Probably suits console game port, but not best for avid rpgers.
Sagagemini wrote:4) Make an Attack all button like in EOB3.
There is fun in managing your characters and their timings.
Sagagemini wrote:5) Outside areas and underwater areas would be cool too. Underwater areas would need a spell from mage or item to be able to walk without drowning. Fire magic wouldn't work and Lightning magic would deal severe damage to all (mobs and party). Some Ice magic spells would have its duration increased, like ice prison/freeze.
The sky is the limit as they already have an engine to build on.
Sagagemini wrote:6) Be able to reach level 50 with same number of skills received per level (4), adding more areas where mobs respawn.
I've completed the game and I found it's hard to get high levels in LoG as the story and levels force you to a diet of monsters. Yeah there are some areas you can cook the monsters repeatedly.
Sagagemini wrote:7) Introduce a New Game + where your party can start another game with everything they got from the previous one.
That would suit a game with a story line to match. LoG played on you being locked in a mountain dungeon.
Sagagemini wrote:8) Put enemies like ghosts that can walk through walls. They were a nice creepy touch in Lands of Lore, since you wouldn't be safe inside a locked room.
There are mobs that can open doors in LoG. Yeah it would be a scary thing to have some go through walls.
Sabatasso

Post by Sabatasso »

e8hffff wrote: That would suit a game with a story line to match. LoG played on you being locked in a mountain dungeon.
You get caught for another crime, and sentenced to an even worse Mountain Dungeon Prison extravaganza!

Prison Break did it... although I hated season 2 and beyond :)
Krotch ScroteGuzzle

Post by Krotch ScroteGuzzle »

Sagagemini wrote:4) Make an Attack all button like in EOB3.
Yes please. And make it key-bindable. Actually yhere should be 2 key-bindable attack buttons.

- 1 for all party attack main hand.
- 1 for all party attack off hand.

Any Mage rune sequences should pop up in the middle of the screen and bigger, so you don't have to look at the bottom corner of your UI for 90% of combat. Babysitting the UI is the only big flaw in this game.
earthyearth

Post by earthyearth »

new races and classes
MysteryOne

Post by MysteryOne »

I'd prefer DLC, Add-Ons and patches; instead of an another full game.
M.M

Post by M.M »

Well, my suggestions (wishfull thinking taht is :D ) for LoG 2 is to make it more in spirit of Realms of Arcania - Star Trail.
Why?
The abovementioned is a missin link between dungeon crawlers and modern RPG. Once Almost Humans will get to making LoG 2, we will probably be all long bored stiff by new dungeons, portraits, items, classes etc. by that time. So they will have to make something ground breaking, not just another dungeon.

Star Trail-like game would allow to explore the world of LoG, which is - out of the few traces we got, quite interesting. Star Trail was nice simulation of real RPG, where with good GM you had to prepere carefully before lunching expedition into a dungeon.

What you could need there? A rope? a hammer? a crowbar? a showel? a net? a mirror? a small cauldron? an oil lamp? a tinderbox? a grapling hook? some candys? some herbs? some bandages? How much food to take? how much water? How many blankets?
Dungeon had to be reached before it could be explored. So we needed proper clothes (dungeons are in mountains you know), something to hunt etc.

While there was quite a lot to do outdoors, including visiting towns and doing quests there, at heart it was still a dungeon crawler at heart, only one highly evolved. I would also like the dungeons themselves to be more like in Star Trail. The current one is absolutely great, and really well designed, but in the end its just set of generic tunnels. In star trail, i could see that this room was used as eg: a shrine, or an armory. In what used to be a kithcen in ancient times there was well.

As a long time pen-n-paper RPG player and GM I still love Star Trail for how well it captures the way true RPG works. I think LoG 2 should be more like this - mostly for the reason described above.
And two more thinks - add cleric class. Preferably one who could be either in style of far east monks (unarmed combat, bonus to physicality spells), or of christanity monk ( bonus to spirituality).
Another one - make combat a bit more strategical. Like skeleton legionairs being damn tough from front (wall of shields), but vulnureble from side and to anti undead spells, while some fast enemies to be immune to circling. Spiders could be able to climb walls, and to emerge from a pit/celling.
Clark Kent

Post by Clark Kent »

I also hope for a sequel but please do not change anything in handling the game. Now it feels like Dungeon Master and I'm very very happy with that. It should not become something else.

The most important thing for a sequel are good riddles - and the riddles in Legend of Grimrock have the same high level (or even higher) as they were in Dungeon Master 25 years ago. It's not about graphics, sound or effects. Riddles are the soul of the game.

Because of all of this this game became an instant hit. Because it's like Dungeon Master. Do not change that feeling in a sequel.

You people are blessed! I never thought such a game would ever become reality...
pongsifu

Post by pongsifu »

I think just starting over would be better. The appeal of the game is that everything you find is all you get to use. If you import a game, you start with all plate armor.

Plus, they would have to balance the game for high level characters, meaning anybody playing the game for the first time...can't play.

The only real solution is to let you import, but you lose all your gear and levels, which kind of makes importing pointless. Unless you started at like level 2 or 3.