The beginning of an RPG resurgence?

General discussion that is not related to Grimrock goes here.
veector

The beginning of an RPG resurgence?

Post by veector »

I just found out that both Shadowrun and Wasteland were successfully funded projects on KickStarter.

Couple that with the success (as far as I can tell) of LoG and I'm truly hoping this means a resurgence in the vein of classic RPG styles. I hope so. I still think some of what made the classic era of RPGs great was the focus on gameplay and story above the need for hyper-reality which is prevalent in many modern games.
Darklord

Re: The beginning of an RPG resurgence?

Post by Darklord »

They both sound great! The Shadowrun kickstarter hasn't finished yet, but yeah it's doing really well 1.5 million is the next big goal. :D

I backed both games (And a few others) but I must admit, Shadowrun is the most exciting for me! :P

Note: I've moved this to General discussion.

Daniel.
A gently fried snail slice is absolutely delicious with a pat of butter...
Loktofeit

Post by Loktofeit »

There is also a Pathfinder MMO in the works, as well.
Darklord

Post by Darklord »

Never played Pathfinder, but I enjoyed D&D 3.5 back in the day. (Prefer 4th to be honest!)

I just can't wait for Shadowrun, so many hapy memories of the RPG, the SNES game and even reading the books! :P

Most of this is caused by the Kickstarter gaming revolution of course. (Not LoG obviously)

Daniel.
A gently fried snail slice is absolutely delicious with a pat of butter...
Horrorscope

Post by Horrorscope »

Loktofeit wrote:There is also a Pathfinder MMO in the works, as well.
Wonder how that's going? Sounds like a long ways out.
veector

Post by veector »

The Pathfinder MMO has me less than excited. I feel like the MMO gameplay style is overdone at the moment. For people who enjoy soloing, games like Grimrock and Wasteland offer a much more rewarding experience because they focus on the single player story.

Star Wars: Old Republic is a hybrid, and fails in my opinion to capture what people enjoy about MMO. A much better model for similar gameplay is Borderlands.
e8hffff

Post by e8hffff »

veector wrote:Couple that with the success (as far as I can tell) of LoG and I'm truly hoping this means a resurgence in the vein of classic RPG styles. I hope so. I still think some of what made the classic era of RPGs great was the focus on gameplay and story above the need for hyper-reality which is prevalent in many modern games.
I think what's destroyed the gaming scene is consoles. Companies are spitting out corridor games with great gfx but little interactivity and innovation. They lack freedom in game. Consoles have forced the market to make games limited due to memory and control restraints. This has split over to the PC Gaming market as companies only want to make one version of a game or put console titles higher due to the games being harder to pirate, therefore more sales.

Another area that's destroyed old time RPG's is the Japanese role playing game. The typical D&D style rpg died out with the late 80's,90's SNES + PS insurgence of Japanese games. They were fun, but you soon got sick of cute ninja style characters with giant swords. Now we are barren of good games.

If there's money in RPGs then there will be people trying to make it by delivering that content. I think LoG has proved there is money to be had, now someone just needs offer goods. There must be plenty of people without jobs due to world economic climate that could venture into game making.
earthyearth

Post by earthyearth »

well RPGs have always been popular but I agree that lately they have been made too much like an action game instead of an RPG I appreciate that LoG brought back the "Real" RPG spirit