Whats everyone's thoughts about the ending [SPOILER]

Talk about anything Legend of Grimrock 1 related here.
citizengrim

Whats everyone's thoughts about the ending [SPOILER]

Post by citizengrim »

Post your thoughts about grimrock's ending
SpoilerShow
because there are few things that just dont make any sense. Ive played the game many times and still dont get it...or maybe im a bit slow :lol: For example the earthquake, until now I still dont know what cause it. It wasnt very clear as well from the ending cutscene. Now the cube; If they call the cube the undying one, then it cannot be destroyed, but again last 2 scrolls from the designer tomb. One use the word tame and the other scroll use the word slain. So I confuse......Enlighten me
Hans Von Mannschaft

Re: Whats everyone's thoughts about the ending [SPOILER]

Post by Hans Von Mannschaft »

I see it this way, first of all, yeah, it cannot be destroyed. But, if you tame it (by using the special weapon developed by the designers) then you can -after that- slay it, or actually, deactivate it/paralyze it, since we all know it'll come back to life again if you re-insert the pieces :-) Hence the undying term. The bastard just refuses to die. Gotta give props to the devs here. They managed to come up with a round and complete notion of a mechanical undead mob.

Cheers.

Oh ps. The earthquake was explained in those notes you could find, that, I remember. What the explanation was, that I don't remember :p
citizengrim

Post by citizengrim »

Hans Von Mannschaft wrote:I see it this way, first of all, yeah, it cannot be destroyed. But, if you tame it (by using the special weapon developed by the designers) then you can -after that- slay it, or actually, deactivate it/paralyze it, since we all know it'll come back to life again if you re-insert the pieces :-) Hence the undying term. The bastard just refuses to die. Gotta give props to the devs here. They managed to come up with a round and complete notion of a mechanical undead mob.

Cheers.

Oh ps. The earthquake was explained in those notes you could find, that, I remember. What the explanation was, that I don't remember :p
SpoilerShow
the only notes mentioning about earthquake is the one from Toorum Note #10. Unless I missed the other one.

The mountain was shaken by sudden tremors again. They seem to emanate from below my feet, from the core of the mountain. I think I'm getting closer to the source. -Toorum

Even from that still unclear about the quake and the source, also Toorum never made it alive to the lowest level
eharper256

Post by eharper256 »

Actually, I figured it was "undying" because it was mechanical. You can still 'kill' an undying thing; its just it can't die by natural means. Undying has bigger connotations towards 'immortal' than 'invulnerable'.

Effectively, the designers nicked its parts and then left it in a hole. They didn't even try to kill it. But the final cutscene shows it being flaming and dead.

The Earthquakes are actually what gives your party your freedom, due to the undying being a classic load-bearing boss.

What causes them? The plot. :D

Okay, maybe the place is on a faultline and the snores of the Undying caused tremors. Seriously, who knows? Well, without word of god, anyway.
"If the world's a stage, and the people actors, then who the f**k has my script?!?"
http://detarame.wordpress.com/ <= My games, anime and weirdness blog