[MOD] Final Adventure

Are you looking for fun Custom Dungeons that you could play or do you want to share your mod with others? Then this forum is for you!
ukdouble1

Re: [MOD] Final Adventure

Post by ukdouble1 »

I broke my head with a riddle in Herder Moors. Oracle message: "Use the gifts of the river for offerings." Behind one pedestal is a snail, behind another is a wyvern. On the islands, there was a blue gem and a green crystal under guard. But they don't fit. Blue and brown algae and fish also did not fit. What should be there?
knr

Post by knr »

ukdouble1 wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 7:42 am I broke my head with a riddle in Herder Moors. Oracle message: "Use the gifts of the river for offerings." Behind one pedestal is a snail, behind another is a wyvern. On the islands, there was a blue gem and a green crystal under guard. But they don't fit. Blue and brown algae and fish also did not fit. What should be there?
That one also confused me for a bit.
SpoilerShow
The wyvern/snail pedestals aren't where you make the offerings.
ukdouble1

Post by ukdouble1 »

That one also confused me for a bit.
Thanks a lot. Did you manage to solve the puzzle with luring rats out of the northern room and three clicks?
knr

Post by knr »

Finished, at 54h ingame time (and a good chunk more of unsaved time), 345 secrets, and a score of 37103 on hard/nightmare. Overall, probably my favorite dungeon crawler ever. Some random thoughts, spoilered for size but also for mild spoilers.
SpoilerShow
The star of the show is still Adrageron's level and encounter design, so much variety for his 3rd fullsize mod in the same engine. Many levels manage to have interesting gimmicks to make them stand out, and there are some extremely cool features to discover that affect exploration.

With so many secrets there are plenty that are just a hidden button, but there are a lot of weird neat puzzles. A big puzzle level was a particular highlight for me, though some might find it a bit overwhelming as a single chunk of puzzles. Pretty much all secrets are also nicely signposted, there's a lot less of a problem I had in The Guardians, where the secret itself might be nicely hinted at, but the answer was a single note hidden in some grass clipping through the ground on the other side of the map.

The endgame combat encounters are generally significantly tougher on average than The Guardians, which in part might be because of whatever nightmare does, but in part is because of the aggressive new enemies and arena design. It really felt like I got some use out of the power you get from enchantment etc.

I'd definitely recommend a caster of each school; the extra equipment juggling from having 3 casters in the party adds a lot to manage during combat, which is fun, and each school has some extremely useful spells which would be quite painful to play without. The replacement items are there, but definitely too expensive to use as often as you'll cast the spells. With all the reworks to everything else, damage magic is still completely worthless outside firebursting mosquitos and some similar enemies. The best use of fireball is to light up dark passages.

There's also a lot of skillpoints and xp to go around, which helps spread out those casting skills. I ended up with 2 level 20 characters (that's 1M xp) for the endgame; the tough gains modifier to reduce xp should be quite managable. Respecs are also very available, which came in very handy as the requirements on your party change a lot throughout the mod.

The two downgrades from The Guardians imo are the economy and basebuilding. In the Guardians, the materials were always rewards for exploration, and you often had a lot of options to spend them on and had to choose what to take at any given moment. Here, it feels like at least half if not more of your materials have to come from just buying them from a randomly restocking store. And a lot of money comes from selling random junk. So there's both fewer choices to make and its less tied in to exploration. I ended up not building some epic items because I hadn't bought up enough ore before I needed it when I saw it, so would just have to wait a week and hope the store restocks with some.

And the base is just a lot less cool than The Guardians Livingrock; a lot of the more useful features are now spread out over the map, and instead the base itself has some goofy but mostly useless farms.

The plant box is neat, though. Significantly weaker than an alchemist (which is good), but more versatile.
A more spoilery list of the things I missed:
SpoilerShow
1 epic item/scroll. Maybe a bow?
The Grove buried treasure chest.
The Hammerhills buried treasure.
1 secret each in Burrows, Outkeep, Deeps, Necropolis (the pressure plate is visible through a grate next to an altar) and Seven Tombs (presumably the guy who wants to see some fireflies).
Adrageron

Post by Adrageron »

Hey, knr!
Thanks a lot for the quality testing and proofreading!
And congratulations with great score result!
kikotrt

Post by kikotrt »

Adrageron wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 9:56 pm Hey, knr!
Thanks a lot for the quality testing and proofreading!
And congratulations with great score result!
привет.
хотелось бы узнать твое мнение по поводу переноса книги навыка "Constitution" в замок нанимателя. (так как сейчас, что бы добраться до нее вроде нужна кирка. Т.е. книга полезнее в замке).

Есть ли информация по поводу выхода следующей версии мода?

Hi.
I would like to know your opinion on the transfer of the skill book "Constitution" to the employer's castle. (because now, in order to get to it, you seem to need a pickaxe. That is, a book is more useful in a castle).

Is there any information about the release of the next version of the mod?
Pompidom

Post by Pompidom »

When creating a party I noticed that lizardmen don't get +15% cold resistance from the Endure elements Trait
Adrageron

Post by Adrageron »

kikotrt wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 2:15 pm I would like to know your opinion on the transfer of the skill book "Constitution" to the employer's castle. (because now, in order to get to it, you seem to need a pickaxe. That is, a book is more useful in a castle).
Hi!
There are no skillbooks in starting stores on purpose, so I'm definitely against the transfer.
Just released the update to v.1.1.
Pompidom wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 3:34 pm When creating a party I noticed that lizardmen don't get +15% cold resistance from the Endure elements Trait
Lizardman, as a race, have -15% cold resist in this mod. The trait buffs all 4 resistances, tough.
kikotrt

Post by kikotrt »

Adrageron wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 6:48 pm
kikotrt wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 2:15 pm I would like to know your opinion on the transfer of the skill book "Constitution" to the employer's castle. (because now, in order to get to it, you seem to need a pickaxe. That is, a book is more useful in a castle).
Hi!
There are no skillbooks in starting stores on purpose, so I'm definitely against the transfer.
Just released the update to v.1.1.
Pompidom wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 3:34 pm When creating a party I noticed that lizardmen don't get +15% cold resistance from the Endure elements Trait
Lizardman, as a race, have -15% cold resist in this mod. The trait buffs all 4 resistances, tough.
thanks for the answer
Pompidom

Post by Pompidom »

Based on first experiences going in blind:

It took me too long to figure out how to properly use the cooking set.
I tried equipping it and using it from the equipped hands instead of just using it from my inventory like you're supposed to.
Then I wrongly figured I had to "unlock" the "kitchen" in my base because of the previous experience in "The guardians".
My party progressed nearly to level 6 before figuring out how to cook properly as I was under the impression I had to "unlock" the kitchen somewhere.

V1.1
map: Glades Domini

Invalid connector target: twigroot_dormant_6

I attacked it through an inaccessible square (tree)

V1.1
map: Hammerhills

Stone table with 2 statues (I was never a fan of these puzzles anyways, spamming every inventory item on these tables - basically bruteforcing them) it just adds frustration.

Placed Meat on it. Disappears in a flash of fire: no effect - consecutive placements of additional meat: same effect.

Suggestion: Disable the script accepting additional meat after the first offering. Give at least a hint what's happening after you have fed the stone table successfully with "meat"
I haven't encountered any hints what to do with these stone tables so far. In The guardians mod I vaguely remember hints being given what item to place on it. What leads to save scumming.

v1.1
Patch notes would be helpful for future balancing suggestions - The Monk nerf from +5/+5 to +3/+3 to health and energy on levelup feels bad. You sacrifice utility and possibly certain magic schools for stat gain. And then get punished for it. (Haven't progressed far, so no idea what to expect about being able to use sacred magic school or not with a party of 4 monks.

Common frustrations:

- Classes with +2 health on levelup just feels wrong. Nobody picks a "wizard" in the default campaign for the same reasons.

- Same issue as "the Guardians"
Random notes placed randomly clipped in walls/grates or whatever which leads to bruteforcing spam-clicking every single square/wall/tile from every single direction.

The Items placed behind "curtains" that are "static" and "unbreakable-untearable" also feel bad. Spamclicking 20 times at random locations until you click the "right pixel" feels bad and annoying.