Wagtunes' Modding Questions

Talk about creating Grimrock 1 levels and mods here. Warning: forum contains spoilers!
wagtunes

Re: Wagtunes' Modding Questions

Post by wagtunes »

Isaac wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 4:26 pm ...In the correct areas for where you want those colors to render on the model, yes. Colored by hand, or baked in Blender.
Done. Easy. And I figured out how to load temporary textures in GMT and reassign them. So to make this easy, I simply made a png file of red, white and blue stripes, saved as a DDS file, made a copy of the original ring model, since both only have 1 texture, and then loaded the copy into GMT and replaced the original material with the new one. Then I just went into the appropriate script files and defined everything.

Looks really cool.

My head is spinning. LOL
wagtunes

Post by wagtunes »

Well, I'm at the end of my rope again.

I have a sphere inside a cube. I go to export as LoG model and get the error I get.

When trying to export a cone, I get a "must triangulate" error even though I added a triangulate modifier.

Have no clue what's going on.
wagtunes

Post by wagtunes »

Okay, it appears that the only thing I can export in Blender to LoG now is a cube. Anything else generates an error.

What is going on?
Isaac

Post by Isaac »

Try selecting both objects, and press the control key plus the J key. Then export.
CTRL+J

*Windows OS
wagtunes

Post by wagtunes »

Isaac wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 1:35 am Try selecting both objects, and press the control key plus the J key. Then export.
CTRL+J

*Windows OS
No luck. This is the error I get.

Isaac

Post by Isaac »

wagtunes

Post by wagtunes »

That is really cool. I think I figured out one of the errors. I'm going to work on the other one now.
wagtunes

Post by wagtunes »

Okay, figured out the other error. See, the directions for doing this are not clear.

I pulled up a simple cone. I assigned a material to it and I assigned a triangulate modifier to it. On exporting, I get an error that it needs to be triangulated. I thought assigning the modifier would be good enough. Turns out that after you do that you have to press ctrl T to actually execute the triangulate function.

So both errors are solved.

What I learned. Some shapes have to be triangulated in order to be exported to LoG.

My question is, why is this?
Isaac

Post by Isaac »

Speed
wagtunes

Post by wagtunes »

Please help. I am at my wits end with this.

I created a simple ring, blue. It was working fine. Now all of a sudden it's white again. So I looked in my texture file and sure enough the texture definition for it got deleted somehow. I must have done it. No problem. I just put it back in and reloaded.

No change. Still white.

I tried other textures including some of the built in textures in the game such as a brick wall and assigned those textures in GMT.

Still no change.

Eventually, I deleted the model altogether and decided to start over. I even removed the reference to it in Dungeon.lua so the game wouldn't blow up when it didn't find a model.

Okay, so now model is gone.

I go into Blender and create another model but this time I make it different. I put a sphere in the middle of the ring. I did this because I had a sneaking suspicion of what was actually happening. This way, even if the texture doesn't take, the model should look different as far as the shape.

Sure enough, after I created the new model (but giving it the old name "ring_of_ra") and reloaded the game, the game displays the OLD model without the sphere in the middle of the ring.

So, here's my question. Is there someplace in this game where "ring_of_ra" is being cached and no matter what I do, it won't override the cache until the cache is cleared?

It is the only thing I can think of because this makes no sense.

** EDIT ** Okay, I figured out the problem and this is absolutely infuriating. Ctrl -R to reload the dungeon does NOT reload the dungeon. All it does is set it back to the beginning but any changes you make to objects do not take hold unless you completely exit out of the dungeon editor and restart the game.