Please FIX the XP system!

Talk about anything Legend of Grimrock 1 related here.
delacroix21

Please FIX the XP system!

Post by delacroix21 »

I was LOVING this game at first, but now I find it a chore to play. The whole "each party member must hit the enemy to get full XP" is absolutely annoying, and made more so by monsters in groups of 2 or more. I find myself saving and reloading often as 1 party member does not get full XP. Furthermore, it is distracting from just playing the game and using tactics into forcing the player to micromanage and actually prevent other characters from attacking until the 1 party member who missed his attack gets a hit to connect.

Guys, this is a great game dont get me wrong. But this XP thing is plain stupid and should be changed.
dark

Re: Please FIX the XP system!

Post by dark »

I have to agree, at first I just thought it was one character that was gaining XP quicker because of its race or class. Then I realized it was different. I do not understand why they went with this type of XP system. This is a party based game, not a single character running around doing all the work. If that were the case, then I should be able to split my party up on puzzles and stand them in front of a pit trap lever and have each of them push a button separately. Get my point?
dazman76

Post by dazman76 »

The more I think about this problem, the more I tend to agree. I prefer the simple system adopted in other games - an example being FF7. If all party members are alive when XP is handed out, they all get equal XP. If a party member is dead, that member gets nothing - the others still get the same amount each. This 50% rule might be OK, if it wasn't for the groups of enemies, as you say. Sometimes you may choose not to use a member for whatever reason - low energy but forced to fight due to being trapped - and that really shouldn't be turned into a punishment for that character. While I'm all for metagames and mechanics, this does seem to detract from the main aim of enjoying the game :)
skurg

Post by skurg »

I agree too.
gasgas

Post by gasgas »

Although I may agree, this is not so noticeable. You won't go further than 13th level I believe. I finished with only 3/4 of the bar full.
MikeKathos

Post by MikeKathos »

To be honest the only time I was having a problem with somebody being behind in exp was my mage at the start due to a lack energy tpically which is easily remedied by using the spears for the first few levels. By the 9th or 10th lvl all my guys were pretty much on the same level and none of them ended up over 13 except 1 who hit 14 because of the exp necklace. The exp system isn't that big of a problem in my opinion.
dark

Post by dark »

Well, apparently the devs thought about this too, why else did they put an amulet in the game that gives one party member an extra 25% XP?
Loktofeit

Post by Loktofeit »

dark wrote:Well, apparently the devs thought about this too, why else did they put an amulet in the game that gives one party member an extra 25% XP?
Wait... what?!? Do want! Share spoiler?
Drax

Post by Drax »

Loktofeit wrote:
dark wrote:Well, apparently the devs thought about this too, why else did they put an amulet in the game that gives one party member an extra 25% XP?
Wait... what?!? Do want! Share spoiler?
SpoilerShow
There's an amulet located as a secret on 6 (I think) that gives the member wearing it 25% more xp.
gambit37

Post by gambit37 »

I don't think the XP system needs fixing per se. But it *is* a bit weird that I can get a level up in my fighters, when they have done absolutely nothing for the last 10 minutes and all the work has been done by mages. It means I can't develop my mages in the way I want. I realise this is not Dungeon Master, but the shared experience model means I'm tied to the way the designers want my characters to progress, rather than choosing it myself. Dungeon master was more flexible in that regard.
Last edited by gambit37 on Wed Apr 18, 2012 6:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.