Foooooooooooooooooooood!

Talk about anything Legend of Grimrock 1 related here.
YenRug

Foooooooooooooooooooood!

Post by YenRug »

Okay, seeing people posting about having completed 2 playthroughs already, I suspect I'm going to get loads of griefers telling me to shut up or learn to play the game better, to them I say: "Go away and don't bother posting!"

That out of the way, onto my feedback about the game, so far:

I've just reached the end of level 4, after wandering around certain puzzle segments over and over again. The problem, as I face heading down the stairs into level 5, is the distinct lack of food. I'm not starving, yet, but I've only got about three snail chunks and maybe one or two other bits left.

The snails left chunks most times, the living tree/mushroom things would often drop foodstuffs, but now I'm having to rely on the odd bit of food left lying around by the dungeon designers. I suspect it will turn out that the devs tuned the availability of food based on their over-familiarity with the dungeons, when in reality you need a fairly regular supply when the puzzles have left you puzzled.

So, is it just me, or do more creatures need to leave edible bodyparts behind? I can understand the undead will be a bit short of supply when it comes to leaving food behind, but there have been plenty of other creatures which have got meat on their bones/carapaces and which have left absolutely nothing for me.

In a future patch, could we possibly have more creatures leaving limbs, or chunks, behind or have some of the early level creatures respawn so that you can at least go and harvest them if necessary?
Drax

Re: Foooooooooooooooooooood!

Post by Drax »

SpoilerShow
6 has an unlimited supply
regomar

Post by regomar »

There is a regenerating supply of food on floor six (snails) If you can make it there you'll be fine.

That said, I'm on the last level of my first playthrough and I've had so much excess food that I've been using it for pressure plate puzzles. No idea how people can run out of food that quickly ~shrugs~
YenRug

Post by YenRug »

Nice to know there's an unending source ahead, but I suspect I'm going to struggle to get through level 5 in time.

As I said, I suspect the food supply has been tuned based on familiarity with the dungeons, not allowing for those of us who give into frustration and ending up repeatedly falling through opening pit traps because they weren't looking in the right direction, sure they were missing something in another direction entirely... ;)
Drax

Post by Drax »

Make use of the crystals as much as possible, they'll stop you having to rest and burning through the food.
Darklord

Post by Darklord »

Go away and don't bother posting! ;)

Seriously though,
SpoilerShow
It's only tricky for a little while, after you get to level 6 it eases up.

Daniel.
A gently fried snail slice is absolutely delicious with a pat of butter...
YenRug

Post by YenRug »

Drax wrote:Make use of the crystals as much as possible, they'll stop you having to rest and burning through the food.
Actually, I've only rested about 4 or 5 times up until this point (put it this way: I was surprised when I last rested and didn't get a dream sequence), most of the time I've been able to heal well enough whilst wandering around. In fact, that's more my problem, wandering around in circles trying to figure out what I've missed with certain puzzles.
Darklord

Post by Darklord »

YenRug wrote: In fact, that's more my problem, wandering around in circles trying to figure out what I've missed with certain puzzles.
One idea that was suggested to me, is saving when you are stuck with a puzzle, once you figure it out reload.

Daniel.
YenRug

Post by YenRug »

Darklord wrote:
YenRug wrote: In fact, that's more my problem, wandering around in circles trying to figure out what I've missed with certain puzzles.
One idea that was suggested to me, is saving when you are stuck with a puzzle, once you figure it out reload.

Daniel.
I went through the first three levels without too much trouble; by the time I realised I was getting a bit stuck, food-wise, that realisation about saving came a bit late, unfortunately. I was switching back and forth, through the 4 routes on level 4, getting a bit further each time; two of the routes got me stuck for a bit longer than expected, especially the teleporters and the locked door, where I made an incorrect assumption about how to proceed and ended up taking ages before I realised my mistake.
Darklord

Post by Darklord »

I did the same and ran out of food on Level 4. I just kept going and eventually found more. It got ok again after a while, I now have so much I will never run out again! :lol:

Daniel.