Idea: More combat oriented game.

Talk about anything Legend of Grimrock 1 related here.
Hardsun

Idea: More combat oriented game.

Post by Hardsun »

I always liked a lot Demise: Rise of Ku'Tan (Mordor series dungeon crawler), it has much more complex leveling system, a lot of combat and non-combat stats (like exploration allowing you to notice and map special zones and hidden doors, traps) and constantly respawning mobs (in some time interval). While puzzels are mostly like how to get to point A from point B plus some portal mechanics, dungeon is hand made but nicely designed having different areas, but it took weeks and even months to end it (30 levels) and often character could die permanently couse of age - yes there is aging mechanics - before finishing game.
So its not a case when we need random generated dungeons to have replayability, or a least long game run to be satisfied :D
Here is some ingame video, the game is almost 10 y old, and i think you can find it on some torrents.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kuJ3xEk3MBE
While LoG combat is pretty easy to abuse just moving around i was thinking about more fair combat system where skills and equipment plays bigger role, still allowing players to use special skills/magic when they feel they need to (hot key bind or something).
So i wanted to hear devs and other people about how is it possible to have LoG mod or DLC we could buy wich would have more combat/leveling/item hoarding/dungeon exploration type of game ?
It would be especially nice to hear ones who played this game ...
Hardsun

Re: Idea: More combat oriented game.

Post by Hardsun »

While i understand it a lot of difference in game mechanics, LoG already has shiny base engine allowing construction of enviroment, mobs itc ... all i was thinking of is about adding deepness in skills/combat/classes mechanics. And bigger dungeons :D
Disasterrific

Post by Disasterrific »

Etrian Odyssey is the one to beat on really satisfying combat. LoG is fun and action oriented but does ultimately lack a little depth.
HeavyMetalMonk

Post by HeavyMetalMonk »

Except they're not the same at all. The only similarities are grid-based movement and first-person perspective. People need to stop making comparisons between LoG and Wizardry-esque games. Wizardry and Dungeon Master were always vastly different. Completely different types of games.
Hardsun

Post by Hardsun »

Well its both dungeon crwaler game styles with different approach to some things. And i was wondering if its possible for devs/modders to make a bit different dungeon crawler game (similar to Demise: Rise of Ku'Tan in complexity ... or even better) useing LoG architecture. The problem is all other dungeon crawler engins are pretty old graphic/tech wise.
I like LoG a lot, but would be glad to see recreation of complex combat dungeon crawler games of old useing modern techs.
At least we wont see those "ive finished game in 8 hours useing internet and all spoilers i could, what do i do now ?" :D
Hardsun

Post by Hardsun »

And both games have much more in similar, then you think imho...
dbgager

Post by dbgager »

Grimrock was perfect. I don't want a more combat oriented game. If they concentrate on a game like that, they will not be able to spend time on more Grimrock type games. Theres plenty of combat, and character development. And especially no random dungeons.

So not only no..but hell no.
Hardsun

Post by Hardsun »

You dont listen, i was against random dungeons too ... And about LoG-like puzzles, its only a matter of time and develoopment. Think of it like LoG extended :D
dbgager

Post by dbgager »

Hardsun wrote:You dont listen, i was against random dungeons too ... And about LoG-like puzzles, its only a matter of time and develoopment. Think of it like LoG extended :D
The game you describe is a completelly different kind of game. The beauty of this game is its old school charm..all those skills are not needed. and would completelly change the game. It would not be LOG extended. It would be a completelly different game.

The game takes your own skills to find hidden places..not some game skill. Thats the way it should stay. Changes like these are what ruined old school games in the first place.
Last edited by dbgager on Sun Apr 15, 2012 8:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hardsun

Post by Hardsun »

"All those skills" are pretty old school too ... dont mess it with modern games ;) And it still be old good dungeon crawler, just with different priorities and and patrially changed gameplay.
Its not about "remove LoG with something else", its about building new stuff useing existing.