Any help for MAC owners?

Talk about anything Legend of Grimrock 1 related here.
Velshu

Any help for MAC owners?

Post by Velshu »

The game looks amazing and one of the benchmarkers in the coming years. Might be able to crack the gate towards old games which had great gameplay but lacked the visuals. Anyways, you've probably heard enough praise. I'm looking to play the game on Macintosh. Is it possible? Through a mod or other means?

Terveisin,

vanhojen pelien fani!
eisberg

Re: Any help for MAC owners?

Post by eisberg »

Eventually they will make it for the Mac. If you can't wait that long, you'll have to install Windows on your Mac.
Patchumz

Post by Patchumz »

It's coming eventually. For now (when it comes out) try it with Wine, see if it works. That's what I'll be doing.

And if you don't have Wine, shame on you :P. (All true Mac gamers should be ready with alternatives ^^)
Arctor

Post by Arctor »

Use Bootcamp. It's built in to OSX. Simple. I'm all ready to go for LOG. :)

(You will need a copy of Windows, of course).
Patchumz

Post by Patchumz »

Bootcamp is a lot of effort, and is a last resort imo. :P
Arctor

Post by Arctor »

Patchumz wrote:Bootcamp is a lot of effort, and is a last resort imo. :P
There's a Bootcamp Assistant in the Utilities folder. It's almost instantaneous in terms of installation. The process is incredibly streamlined. You just need Windows.
Patchumz

Post by Patchumz »

Arctor wrote:
Patchumz wrote:Bootcamp is a lot of effort, and is a last resort imo. :P
There's a Bootcamp Assistant in the Utilities folder. It's almost instantaneous in terms of installation. The process is incredibly streamlined. You just need Windows.
I've done it numerous times, and installing isn't the effort, rebooting your computer and downloading new apps that you might need (Like maybe a twitter app, if you're into that) for Windows is a lot of work to run a game :).

If I can help it, I use other solutions that are far more efficient. Hence, I only use Bootcamp as a last resort, as it requires a shutdown just to get into.
Sleepcoma

Post by Sleepcoma »

I guess I'm confused how apps or Twitter have anything to do with playing the game. Boot up Windows, open LoG...profit.
Proud member of the Madcast Gaming Community

"As we walked past the Great Statues depicting hooded figures I had a sudden feeling of remorse"
Patchumz

Post by Patchumz »

Sleepcoma wrote:I guess I'm confused how apps or Twitter have anything to do with playing the game. Boot up Windows, open LoG...profit.
For me, I have quite a few things running at a time. Twitter, IRC (With lots of channels joined), Chrome/Firefox/Safari (Depends on my mood), maybe Steam, maybe a note pad filled with random crap I need to jot down to remember stuff, and sometimes other things. And for me, losing all that simply to play a little game isn't worth it to me :P, most of the time.

For me, if it runs in Wine, I just have an icon on my dock for the game, I run the game.... it runs just as fast as on Windows, and I play the game on my Mac side without any issue.

EDIT: And I don't just play one game all day every day, I do enjoy other games that have Mac native clients, so switching back over to my OS X side for those is also a hassle.

I'm just giving more efficient options than Bootcamp, which tends to be extreme for smaller games like this that don't require massive amounts of RAM/CPU.
Sleepcoma

Post by Sleepcoma »

Ahh, I see what you're saying. Yeah, it would definitely be a hassle to have to reboot when I wanted to play a game. I'm firmly entrenched in the Windows based gaming world, but my dad has a Mac so I'm rooting for support so he can play too. All the Mac threads that pop up in every game's forum remind me why I prefer to just build my own PC's and save money and enjoy worry free gaming. I'd be pulling my hair out if I constantly had to worry about whether a cool game was going to be supported.

It's definitely gotten better for the Mac crowd in recent years though, used to be it was a joke when someone asked if it would be released for Macs. These days it's almost reached the point of being a question of when and not if it will be supported which is good for everyone except the devs who have to do the work to support multiple platforms. :lol:
Proud member of the Madcast Gaming Community

"As we walked past the Great Statues depicting hooded figures I had a sudden feeling of remorse"