Missile/ Throwing/ Dagger Weapons based on?

This is the forum for helping you out if you're stuck or if you want to discuss the nitty gritty details of the dungeons within Mount Grimrock. Warning: forum contains spoilers!
Ferned

Missile/ Throwing/ Dagger Weapons based on?

Post by Ferned »

Due to many confusing posts i made 2 rouges with different stats but same skills. So as it seems missile weapons and daggers attack is based on ddext, throwing are based in strenght.
war_dog

Re: Missile/ Throwing/ Dagger Weapons based on?

Post by war_dog »

+1 ;)
Draken

Post by Draken »

All ranged attacks (throwing, bow, crossbow, spells) are auto-hitting, taking Accuracy and furthermore Dexterity out of the equation. Most people go for full Strength on ranged attackers... myself, i distribute to Str and Dex evenly, because sometimes you want that guy up in front evading blows.

Daggers are melee, so they are affected by Accuracy and furthermore Dexterity... again... I distribute Str and Dex evenly so i can deal lots of hit with decent damage.
Rednecksith

Post by Rednecksith »

Yeah, ranged damage is all based on strength. It makes sense with throwing weapons, but not with bows. Not very well thought out, TBH. Yes, strength can affect how far back you can draw, but you can only draw most bows so far back anyway. Plus it affects crossbow damage, which makes absolutely no sense whatsoever...

Hopefully Almost Human will take another look at it eventually.
Sometimes I wish the world was flat so I could push people off.
xlaZuRelx

Post by xlaZuRelx »

Ferned wrote:Due to many confusing posts i made 2 rouges with different stats but same skills. So as it seems missile weapons and daggers attack is based on ddext, throwing are based in strenght.
Did you confirm on this? Or was it your opinion? :?
killington

Post by killington »

xlaZuRelx wrote:
Ferned wrote:Due to many confusing posts i made 2 rouges with different stats but same skills. So as it seems missile weapons and daggers attack is based on ddext, throwing are based in strenght.
Did you confirm on this? Or was it your opinion? :?
A dev has come out saying all ranged damage is boosted by STR.
Arty

Post by Arty »

Rednecksith wrote:It makes sense with throwing weapons, but not with bows.
You ever use an actual hunting bow in real life? They are not easy to pull. In actual real life the stronger you are the harder/faster your arrows shoot.
Rednecksith

Post by Rednecksith »

Arty wrote:
Rednecksith wrote:It makes sense with throwing weapons, but not with bows.
You ever use an actual hunting bow in real life? They are not easy to pull. In actual real life the stronger you are the harder/faster your arrows shoot.
You missed the part where I acknowledged draw weight, and pointed out that while yes, strength can help in that regard, you can only pull the bowstring back so far, not to mention any limitations due to armspan. That also doesn't explain why crossbows are affected by strength, considering they have a set draw weight.

I simply think it was a mistake to make STR the only stat that affects ranged combat. They should have had bows & throwing weapons affected by accuracy just like every other weapon, and DEX should be the dominant stat for said weapons. Not saying STR shouldn't play a role (composite bows in DnD allowed you to add your STR modifier to damage, for example), but it shouldn't be the only thing you focus on for archers. It makes no sense from any perspective.

I'm just trying to give some constructive criticism. I love the game, but I'm not going to pretend its perfect.
Sometimes I wish the world was flat so I could push people off.
war_dog

Post by war_dog »

killington wrote: A dev has come out saying all ranged damage is boosted by STR.
Can u link me that plz?
stage

Post by stage »

war_dog wrote:
killington wrote: A dev has come out saying all ranged damage is boosted by STR.
Can u link me that plz?
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=636&hilit=DEX