A case for "inefficiency" in the UI

Talk about anything Legend of Grimrock 1 related here.
shidaru

A case for "inefficiency" in the UI

Post by shidaru »

There seem to be a lot of people complaining about some aspects of the game's user interface. The biggest complaints surround the usage of items and magic. I've read multiple posts in the forums and around the web that basically demand some kind of quick casting system for mages, citing how the current rune input system is frustrating and cumbersome, and saying that magic is somehow weaker because of it.

I, however, think that the implementation of the rune system is what makes magic in Grimrock so fun, and is just a facet of a design choice that many misconstrue as a badly made user interface.

The rune system in Grimrock, as you all know, forces you to input the rune combination each time you want to cast a spell. This requires multiple clicks, which, in real time combat, lowers the amount of spells you are able to throw out. In chaotic situations this is can be hectic and stressful, as you scramble to cast, strafe, attack with other party members, and avoid getting flanked. I feel like this isn't a bad thing at all. Many RPG's have spell failure chance mechanics, where a mage has a decreased chance of casting success when under attack. What Grimrock does is move this staple mechanic from the realm of probabilities and perks into the game itself. YOU are that mage casting that spell. YOU have to deal with the stress of being under attack. A miscast isn't because the RNG screwed you over, its because YOU made a mistake. Getting better at the casting mechanics literally makes your mage more powerful. This is incredibly satisfying to me. The game's combat is interesting not because it streamlined the combat and moved away from old school RPG mechanics, but rather because it embraced them.

The same thing applies to the conundrum of not having a quick hotkey belt, only two hands. I have read complaints about the hassle of opening inventories to switch to bombs and additional items, since usually both hands are filled with essential weaponry and other equipment. Some people have said that this reduces immersion. I personally think it adds to the feeling. People only have two hands. You can't wield a sword and shield and instantly throw a bomb, taken out of your pack. In Grimrock you have to do what you would do in real life: fumble desperately in your pack for the bomb, chuck your sword away, and only then throw your bomb.

A lot of people complain about the simplification of current games, yet fail to realize that the frustrating little mechanics are actually the things they find modern games so lacking.

Almost Human, you have made an incredibly game that brings me back to my gaming roots. I have had so much fun with this title. Before you decide to bow to the pressure of these complaints, know that there are people would be sorry to see the UI completely revamped. If you do decide to revamp, please make it optional. Grimrock is, after all, a Dungeon Crawler.

TL;DR
View the cumbersome mechanics are part of the immersion, and you might find yourself warming up to them.
Halk

Re: A case for "inefficiency" in the UI

Post by Halk »

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=872

Great big long thread. You've added nothing new to the discussion, what you've said has already been said and rebutted in there. Why does your opinion warrant a new thread?
Brodie301

Post by Brodie301 »

Totally agree and only on level 3.
Pull up rune screen, strafe, hit with melee, strafe, select runes, strafe, then bombs away, not hard at all.
And im not even a good player.
The FORCE is with me!!!
Fugu

Post by Fugu »

The only thing I'd like changed or better made optional regards the mouse buttons.
Only mouselook and removing items should be on the right mouse button. I'd find it more comfortable to attack with the left mouse button.
Right now it's an awkward mix for me. You open the inventory with the left one, interact with the world with the left one and can select runes with it, need the right one for attacking, though.
I find unequipping stuff from a charakter to be a secondary action that is more suited for the right mouse button. I really don't get how left does everything except attacking, which is oddly done by the right button.

In essence, make an option for switching the mouse buttons for attacking and equip/unequip. Opening bags on right click is fine, though.
[insert quote by popular deceased person you read somewhere]
Mychaelh

Post by Mychaelh »

The OP nails it down. Would also have nothing against an optional mouse attack button switch.
But if you think about it, it's just consequent. You have to learn the normal attacks as well. I'm already used to it.
Hardcore real-time dungeon crawling. That's Legend of Grimrock. :)
Mychaelh

Post by Mychaelh »

...And this one is for people like Halk:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W1ZtBCpo0eU
daggah

Post by daggah »

Crashbanito

Post by Crashbanito »

Grimrock FAQ | If you see something fishy, flag that post! | My Gaming/Tech Blog
Halk

Post by Halk »

Mychaelh

Post by Mychaelh »