Toggle for eathquakes, please ?

Talk about anything Legend of Grimrock 1 related here.
Ardbug

Toggle for eathquakes, please ?

Post by Ardbug »

Loving the game, but I just found out that the earthquakes will block off passages if you dont crawl fast enough through the dungeon.

I prefer to solve puzzle games in my own good time, but now I feel like Im forced to either rush it or miss out on parts of the game, I usually never replay puzzlers, I take my time and enjoy the game as it unfolds, as an example I loved Portal first time I played it through, but did not enjoy it when I tried it a second time because I already knew the solution to all the puzzles.

Would it be possible to make the earthquakes a toggle like old school mode ?

I was all fired up about this game untill I was hit by an earthquake, and then 10 tiles later I ran into a blocked passage ....... it just sucked so much fun and immersion out of it for me, and that is such a shame because this is exactly the kind of game I would love to crawl through and explore, but my way of playing the game is also what prevents me from seeing the full game, and that really is a shame.
Jikarosa

Re: Toggle for eathquakes, please ?

Post by Jikarosa »

Can someone confirm that earthquakes do block passages? As far as I know they don't. I've had many quakes and still I'll be able to get all the treasures and secrets... I think that the quakes are there just to create the atmosphere.

And yes, I've seen those rocks blocking the passages, but they have been there even before any quake.
spreadsheets

Post by spreadsheets »

I am pretty sure that they don't.
Since he's talking about a passage 10 tiles later, he must have already known that there was a passage, i.e. opened it once. I guess it's something with the puzzle/level that closed it again, not the quake.
Ardbug

Post by Ardbug »

No I dont know if there is a passage behind the blockage, I ran into it shortly after reading about earthquakes on the Steam Forum and it was like a punch in the gut, so if someone know the actual factual truth about earthquakes then please confirm of correct .
Jikarosa

Post by Jikarosa »

I'm at the D.Lv 6 at the moment and all passages that have been blocked by rocks so far have been kind of "alternative passages". There is always another route behind the blocked passage. And i strongly believe that the rocks have been there all the time, not since any earthquake.

But, quake or not, there is always another passage and you won't miss any treasures or secrets as far as i know, so don't worry.
Dalton

Post by Dalton »

Earthquakes aren't a timed event that cuts you off from the game's secrets. It's pure atmosphere.
Ardbug

Post by Ardbug »

Jikarosa wrote:I'm at the D.Lv 6 at the moment and all passages that have been blocked by rocks so far have been kind of "alternative passages". There is always another route behind the blocked passage. And i strongly believe that the rocks have been there all the time, not since any earthquake.

But, quake or not, there is always another passage and you won't miss any treasures or secrets as far as i know, so don't worry.
If that is indeed how it is then I have no worries, your reply is much appreciated, I was ready to wait for either a toggle or a MOD, but now I will go and explore around the caved in passage :)
xdeath

Post by xdeath »

I think you should ask of what the true nature of quakes are before jumping to conclusions.
They don't cause rockfalls. I admit that I thought that it was what it might be, but when I found myself on the other side of a blocked passage I concluded that they are just atmosphere.
Ardbug

Post by Ardbug »

I just crawled past the blockage (and 6 spiders ....) and I wont lose any parts of the game due to earthquakes, Im so high on pure gamer joy once again :)
Dandy

Post by Dandy »

Dalton wrote:Earthquakes aren't a timed event that cuts you off from the game's secrets. It's pure atmosphere.
The earthquakes are fantastic. I have seen a lot of earthquakes in a lot of games but this one in LOG is the most convincing I have seen yet.
Dungeon Legend about the Master of Grimrock