The Blue Crystals do not make sense.....story wise.

Talk about anything Legend of Grimrock 1 related here.
dbgager

The Blue Crystals do not make sense.....story wise.

Post by dbgager »

Did you guys realize that. If the dungeon is supposed to be there to kill the prisoners. Why would the jailers put health and revival crystals all over the place.
fluttersnipe

Re: The Blue Crystals do not make sense.....story wise.

Post by fluttersnipe »

Without giving to much away :

One of the dreams you have states that a prison was not the original intent of Mount Grimrock and that it has a much deeper purpose. The stones could be related to that. :)
Whibble

Post by Whibble »

First of all, it's not supposed to kill anyone.

Second of all, I doubt they built the place with the intention of killing anything.

Third of all, if they intended to just kill them, why not just toss them over a cliff, or into a volcano, or something.

Fourth of all, why are there weapons and intricate puzzles down here, if they're just trying to kill them?

There are so many holes with this post it's not even funny lol
dbgager

Post by dbgager »

ok. That makes some sense..The Jailers have no idea whats down there. They just know that when they put people in there no one ever comes out.
Whibble

Post by Whibble »

Pretty much. I'd assume it's a tradition or a religion of sorts.

Put your prisoners into the hands of fate or perhaps even a "God", and if they're worthy, they'll survive whatever the hell is in there.
Dirge Inferno

Post by Dirge Inferno »

fluttersnipe wrote:Without giving to much away :

One of the dreams you have states that a prison was not the original intent of Mount Grimrock and that it has a much deeper purpose. The stones could be related to that. :)
$%#@ YOU I READ THAT! You should have had the option spoiler added!
Dalton

Post by Dalton »

Non-spoiler, since it's right in the instruction manual...

But Grimrock wasn't built by the kingdom as a prison. It is an ancient ruin that modern people know nothing about. Nobody that goes in ever survives to say anything about it. Every so often, prisoners get a chance to volunteer to explore it. They're pardoned of all crimes and thrown in with the promise that if they survive and make it to the exit, and can give an account of what they saw, they'll be free men.

I highly recommend you read the story. It's pretty decent.
Arkhan

Post by Arkhan »

This comment seems poorly thought out...

I mean, if they wanted this place to exist solely to kill someone, would it have torches, weapons laying everywhere, or more importantly, a possible exit? lol

It's kind of clear they didn't build the place, and just use its dangerousness to their advantage.
http://www.aetherbyte.com <<< For all kinds of goony retro game nonsense, on PCE, MSX, and stuff

HASTUR HASTUR HASTUR!
dbgager

Post by dbgager »

Arkhan wrote:This comment seems poorly thought out...

I mean, if they wanted this place to exist solely to kill someone, would it have torches, weapons laying everywhere, or more importantly, a possible exit? lol

It's kind of clear they didn't build the place, and just use its dangerousness to their advantage.
Those things would be remnants from the hundreds of people who died there and dropped there things on the spot. The monsters inhabiting the place sure would not care about eating a sword or a leather vest. The food is from killing monters and eating there flesh or vegetation growing from the walls.

The burning torches however make no sense unless there is someone wandering the halls replenishing them. Maybe the guy who is leaving notes all over the place does that?
Dalton

Post by Dalton »

All these questions and more, solved by reading the story in the game manual! :o