ugh so many timed puzzles...

Talk about anything Legend of Grimrock 1 related here.
Mortimer

ugh so many timed puzzles...

Post by Mortimer »

do others like these? i am getting rather daunted by doing some timed puzzle that then takes a long time to get back to where you can go and fail again. So far I am stuck/giving up on the 3rd insane one I found.

personally I love the harder ones that are not timed but it is nice to sit and think then finally find a solution. Yet pressing some button and a series of 15-20 key strokes over and over until your arm hurts is not my idea of fun.
Point08

Re: ugh so many timed puzzles...

Post by Point08 »

Mortimer wrote:do others like these? i am getting rather daunted by doing some timed puzzle that then takes a long time to get back to where you can go and fail again. So far I am stuck/giving up on the 3rd insane one I found.

personally I love the harder ones that are not timed but it is nice to sit and think then finally find a solution. Yet pressing some button and a series of 15-20 key strokes over and over until your arm hurts is not my idea of fun.
Make sure none of your characters are overencombered (snail icon in upper left of portrait). I do like the timing puzzles, yes. I like different challanges. It's one of the things i liked about this genre.
Chronosv2

Post by Chronosv2 »

If the timed puzzles are bothering you, my advice is after the first or second failure to save your game and re-load after subsequent failures. Sure it's a bit of save-scumming but it saves time and effort. There's nothing preventing you from making full use of the savegames, so use them to your advantage when the going gets frustrating.
Patchumz

Post by Patchumz »

Yeah, the timed puzzles are really getting to me. I'm on Level 7 (and 8) at the moment, and the bane of my existence is timed puzzles.

Best thing you can do is take a break if you're getting frustrated. A fresh head will make things much better.
Chronosv2

Post by Chronosv2 »

Patchumz wrote:Best thing you can do is take a break if you're getting frustrated. A fresh head will make things much better.
This is also good advice. A puzzle I was stumped with turned out to be a snap when i came back to it a day later.
Arkhan

Post by Arkhan »

I dig the timed puzzles. It's a good thing when I am sitting here scratching my head trying to figure stuff out. :)
http://www.aetherbyte.com <<< For all kinds of goony retro game nonsense, on PCE, MSX, and stuff

HASTUR HASTUR HASTUR!
IndigoAK

Post by IndigoAK »

The thing I'm finding frustrating is that the timed and skill/movement based puzzles don't appear to be balanced for people who use the UI to move. Every single timed or skill based puzzle I've come across, I've been forced to use the control method I don't prefer (the keyboard) in order to complete it.

When the mouse control option is enabled, puzzles need to be adjusted to compensate. Why allow us to use the mouse to move if you're just going to force us to use the keyboard anyway? It doesn't make sense.
maethlin

Post by maethlin »

Agree, love pretty much everything about the game but these... never cared for them at all.
Jack Dandy

Post by Jack Dandy »

Variety is good IMO.
JemyM

Post by JemyM »

Mortimer wrote:do others like these?
Yes.