Level 6 - Hall of Fire Pillar Buttons

This is the forum for helping you out if you're stuck or if you want to discuss the nitty gritty details of the dungeons within Mount Grimrock. Warning: forum contains spoilers!
StriderDSO

Level 6 - Hall of Fire Pillar Buttons

Post by StriderDSO »

SpoilerShow
There are four buttons on the central pillar in the room with the two fire archons, but I only needed to press two to get the key (the east button, and the west button). I went back and pressed the north button and you can see it raises the platform in front of the southern facing button, but then you are cutoff from getting it, as all the pits open up around you. Any idea how to get it, or if you even can?
tomvilfroy

Re: Level 6 - Hall of Fire Pillar Buttons

Post by tomvilfroy »

SpoilerShow
If you get the first item, then you'll see the other issue will be resolved..yes, you have to do the sequence again
StriderDSO

Post by StriderDSO »

Hm I don't see what you mean. I've repeated it, and it doesn't seem to be any different.
tomvilfroy

Post by tomvilfroy »

SpoilerShow
Did you remove a torch and see what happens?
StriderDSO

Post by StriderDSO »

I just thought about trying that, and then the archons killed me lol
tomvilfroy

Post by tomvilfroy »

SpoilerShow
Well kill those FIRST before doing the puzzle. Trust me, it is MUCHO easier that way. And yes, if you do fall, they ALL respawn. So save before doing the button puzzle!
StriderDSO

Post by StriderDSO »

SpoilerShow
Yeah, I cleared the room, but one spawns when you go press the 4th button in the sequence for the first time (the northern button, right beside the torch you remove). That's the archon that killed me. I reloaded and tried again and managed to stay alive, then performed the sequence again and had time to run around and press the 5th button, which opened the door to the Sword of Nex, and kept it open. Not sure why it would close again for you?
tomvilfroy

Post by tomvilfroy »

SpoilerShow
think I'm missing the 5th button then. Already running like mad to get the 4 buttons done. But yeah, that archon does spot after the 4th button coming from that room. is there a way to get that 5th button in time? I'm gathering the 5th one is on the south side of the pillar, right? If not, hint please - otherwise, tell me how to get to that south side pillar in time!!
StriderDSO

Post by StriderDSO »

SpoilerShow
Yup, you're right in thinking it's the south side of the pillar. The first time you go to that ledge (to the fourth button) and then remove the torch, a random archon appears. You kill him and then repeat the whole process, except as soon as you press the fourth button, you rush all the way around [clockwise direction is the only way you can go] and press the 5th on the south. You have enough time and a second or two to spare.
tomvilfroy

Post by tomvilfroy »

SpoilerShow
Um..I had just barely enough time to do the 4th button (more often the trapdoor open as I'm leaving it..and doing my best imatation of "i've fallen and I can't get up" :) - how the BLOODY hell can I do get there in time for the 5th button??