Scripting Reference (work in progress)

Ask for help about creating mods and scripts for Grimrock 2 or share your tips, scripts, tools and assets with other modders here. Warning: forum contains spoilers!
MrChoke

Re: Scripting Reference (work in progress)

Post by MrChoke »

petri wrote:Updating the scripting reference has been moving at snail's pace recently... Sorry about that! I'm feeling that it would be better and more efficient if the community could take the ownership of the documentation, so that when errors are found, they could be easily fixed. Also there are glaring holes in the documentation that experienced modders could surely fill in. Naturally we would help by answering those tricky technical questions that you have.

What do you think?
I think that is a good idea. Anything to get the asset definition out sooner!

One note on the community doing that though. We can certainly fill in details for anything already in the scripting reference. But for things not in there, correct me if I am wrong but it seems difficult to look at object definitions. Doing commands like pairs() and ipairs() on game objects do not yield results for example. Is there a good way to analyze an object definition?
NutJob

Post by NutJob »

petri wrote:What do you think?
Yes please. Wiki this whole project to us (with your help). There's a few things I want to fix that I can't, many things I want to add a description for, and a everything I want all of us to add examples of usage.
JKos

Post by JKos »

I made a initial github project for this community documentation.
https://github.com/JKos/log2doc/wiki

I also converted component definitions and global-functions to Markup format with some regular expressions.
What do you think? Just register to github and you should be able to edit it, no need to ask for permission from me.
Currently it's under my account, but it's easy to clone/move it for example under Petri's account if you want do so.
And since it's github we can use this repository for sharing our scripts/assets too and as a bonus we do get version control. Wiki also has version control, so no one can permanently delete anything by accident or by intention.
- LoG Framework 2http://sites.google.com/site/jkoslog2 Define hooks in runtime by entity.name or entity.id + multiple hooks support.
- cloneObject viewtopic.php?f=22&t=8450
cameronC

Post by cameronC »

Very nice! Github is a good home for it. I hope people can take the time to contribute.
Writer and sometimes artist of the very slightly acclaimed comic series Scrambled Circuits. A comic series about a robot written by a human.

Grimrock 2 socketSystem: viewtopic.php?f=22&t=8546 / Github
QuintinStone

Post by QuintinStone »

SurfaceComponent has an undocumented contents method.

I'll make an account to do editing when I get the chance.
Crypt of Zulfar
petri

Post by petri »

JKos wrote:I made a initial github project for this community documentation.
https://github.com/JKos/log2doc/wiki
Very nice! Thank you JKos!