Magic is too cumbersome...

Talk about anything Legend of Grimrock 1 related here.
Mychaelh

Re: Magic is too cumbersome...

Post by Mychaelh »

Would not feel pro to walk in a dungeon with un-drawn weapons.
Like a SWAT team entering a building with pistols in the holster.
:)
Kurgen

Post by Kurgen »

PiIsExactly3 wrote:I think we should take it even further. Completely new combat for Fighters. There's a spider coming at you, get ready!

First click on your fighter to open up his inventory. Then click on his scabbard. Once you have done so select "unsheathe" from the menu. Close the inventory screen. Click on the drawn sword icon. Choose swing. Ok, you did some damage so you're almost done!

Open your inventory, click your rag. Choose "wipe blood". Can't let your sword rust now can you! Click your sword. Click "sheathe".

Whew!

Now you're ready to attack again!

Now that takes skill!

^ This. :lol:

I can't believe some of the posts complaining about the complainers. Like it's more "realistic" to have to faff about remembering rune sets and readying spells while WASDing around like a spastic chimp.
Geekoid

Post by Geekoid »

No, those are all lame excuses for bad UI. It makes the Wizard useless for combat. And the game seems to be about 2 things, puzzles and combat. The process to do the spells in unreasonable complicated for real time combat.
If we where suppose to use the Wizard in combat, then why does he have combat spells?
The genre they are capturing isn't a twitch Genre. I can play TF2 for that.
And the BS about magic being difficult is foolish. You know what else is difficult? swing a sword in combat, shooting arrows at giant spiders jumping on you, and surviving 50 foot drops down pits.

By the time I can sloughs my way through the ui, to cast a spell, most my other cool down times are done. Making spell casting a waste of time.
It make no sense.

Everything else is a fun through back to playing M&M on the Apple IIC. It's really fun. The spell casting UI may be the reason I won't bother to finish it. we'll see I am only on level 5.
Halk

Post by Halk »

I'm relieved to hear people agreeing :)

I'm pretty sure with the amount of requests that the devs are getting they're going to end up with a comprehensive options page. If they do something with the magic UI then they could also provide a checkbox to enable/disable it, that way the masochists can get their kicks and the rest of us can enjoy the game without carpal tunnel syndrome rearing it's head. They could even introduce needing to go to the toilet to placate the haters.
Curunir

Post by Curunir »

Funnily, I find the rune interface the most fun part of magic. You can of course always prepare one of your more powerful spells, enter the runes and walk around with the spell ready for your next encounter.

I understand why some people may be frustrated with it, just saying I for one love the way it is now.
Halk

Post by Halk »

Curunir wrote:I understand why some people may be frustrated with it, just saying I for one love the way it is now.
That's totally fine... we all have different tastes and opinions. It just gets me rather annoyed when people tell me what my opinion is :)

Given that you like it the way it is... how would you feel if they changed it so that when you cast a spell it left the runes highlighted?
Curunir

Post by Curunir »

Yeah I suppose that's a reasonable middle ground - the casting interface could just leave your last used spell entered in so to speak. That way when you switch you will still need to tap the new runes but you can quickly reuse your last spell. Sort of like having only one memorization slot.
Patchumz

Post by Patchumz »

I'll say this again, MOST of the problems would be easily solved with rune-keybinds. Mouse is a pain in the ass, but if we could simply use some finger muscle memory to churn out spells, it would be much more fun, without the need to simplify via removing the runes all together, or having cast memory (runes stay lit from your last spell so you don't have to punch in the runes again to recast) which is a bad idea due to really only needing to use one spell most of the time.
Elazul2k

Post by Elazul2k »

Just picked up this game this afternoon and spent a couple of hours getting acquainted with the game. My first impression with the magic system was confusion quickly replaced with frustration the moment combat set in. I picked the default party and accidentally found my first fire spell experimenting for about half an hour or so. However, the way the controls are setup by default and the way the rune system works leaves a bit to be desired when trying to move around enemies and light them on fire while at the same time trying to utilize my melee front line. To make a long story short I found it clunky and annoying.

THAT SAID the rest of the game is amazing. My only complaint is the magic system and the atmosphere and the puzzles I came across are amazing. I love the music probably the most as it blends excellently with the setting and adds depth to the setting and mood imho.
Curunir

Post by Curunir »

I'm not sure about only using one spell, I find myself constantly switching from the higher tier spells to Light to lower tier spells when mana is low.