Dungeon Editor Progress

Talk about creating Grimrock 1 levels and mods here. Warning: forum contains spoilers!
Alfheira

Re: Dungeon Editor Progress

Post by Alfheira »

Weetu wrote:If I know anything about game engine design, limiting movement to one plane - and in a grid - gives the engine developer a chance to use many tricks that then make it impossible to support "free" 3D movement.
But you know that the engine supports a free look by pressing the right mouse button? Why shouldn't that be possible in an editor? But I agree that a 2D editor would suffice. The earlier it's published the better.
Jordan

Post by Jordan »

As long as there is a GUI I'll be thrilled with it.
Weetu

Post by Weetu »

Alfheira wrote:
Weetu wrote:If I know anything about game engine design, limiting movement to one plane - and in a grid - gives the engine developer a chance to use many tricks that then make it impossible to support "free" 3D movement.
But you know that the engine supports a free look by pressing the right mouse button? Why shouldn't that be possible in an editor? But I agree that a 2D editor would suffice. The earlier it's published the better.
I'm not saying that. I'm sure it's quite easy for them to make the level editor provide all the facilities the game currently provides, if they so choose.

What I'm saying, though - and what I understood Patch wanted to do - is that creating "true 3D" environments (e.g. slopes, non-90-degree walls etc.) would probably not work with the current engine.

I hope the developers correct me if my assumption is wrong, though :)
Darklord

Post by Darklord »

Here's what Antti had to say about slopes,

antti wrote:At its current state, only flat floors are possible with the engine. Everything can of course be updated and modified but having sloped floors is such a drastic change that would affect a million other things in the game so it's unlikely that it will happen any time soon.
Daniel.
A gently fried snail slice is absolutely delicious with a pat of butter...
Shoonay

Post by Shoonay »

Can't wait for the editor, can't wait to see what the community makes with it. 8-)
Would love to see Dungeon Master/Black Crypt remakes... ;)

Would be awesome if we could create our own graphics for dungeon-tiles, import 3d objects for items and monsters (maybe even NPC's), add custom sounds and music, add intro/in-sleep/in-between-level/outro screens and cutscenes or maybe even movies...
Darklord

Post by Darklord »

Shoonay wrote: Would be awesome if we could create our own graphics for dungeon-tiles, import 3d objects for items and monsters (maybe even NPC's), add custom sounds and music, add intro/in-sleep/in-between-level/outro screens and cutscenes or maybe even movies...
I think most of those should be possible. :)

Daniel.
A gently fried snail slice is absolutely delicious with a pat of butter...
Dynosaulo

Post by Dynosaulo »

Hey, Petri!

I have an idea that might give you some inspiration on the architecture of the dungeon editor and its integration with the script editor (although you probably have thought about it already):

RPG Maker.

In fact, I think your editor could have a lot in common with RPG Maker. I think it could work really well. It's simple and the script editor would be right there.
Just an idea though. And I'm not a programmer. So feel free to just disconsider.

Here's a screenshot of RPG Maker, just so you get the idea:
http://img8.imageshack.us/img8/1198/screenshot2l.png
Jack Dandy

Post by Jack Dandy »

I have a question-

I'm not a computer whiz, so I wanna know just what Lua scripting can allow good modders to pull off?
Gudadantza

Post by Gudadantza »

Jack Dandy wrote:I have a question-

I'm not a computer whiz, so I wanna know just what Lua scripting can allow good modders to pull off?
Lua scripting is the most near appoach a good modder could have to modify a lot of things into the game. In fact it is a programming language to simplify a lot of things. I considered it as a prog lang into the proper vanilla C++

So the limit would be the ingenious of an user. But i am guessing, I am old and I stopped on the era where everybody knew Basic.
darkhaven3

Post by darkhaven3 »

You know, slightly off topic, but I would just like to say that if C++ was worth its weight in paper, it'd be referred to at least colloquially as ++C. :)