Extracting and enabling the console

Talk about creating Grimrock 1 levels and mods here. Warning: forum contains spoilers!
Thels

Re: Extracting and enabling the console

Post by Thels »

KonttuFIN wrote:Devs should add official "console" in game:) Would be 'lot easier. I am quite afraid of enabling console unofficial way, I can expect some crash/ errors with Steam too? :?
No, they should not.

They don't intend for us to mess around with it. They don't mind too much, but they're surely not going to support it.

If the console was available in the game on default, naturally a lot more people would try it. Those people would then complain about anything going wrong. It's easy to make the game crash by using the console.
KonttuFIN

Post by KonttuFIN »

Thels wrote:
KonttuFIN wrote:Devs should add official "console" in game:) Would be 'lot easier. I am quite afraid of enabling console unofficial way, I can expect some crash/ errors with Steam too? :?
No, they should not.

They don't intend for us to mess around with it. They don't mind too much, but they're surely not going to support it.

If the console was available in the game on default, naturally a lot more people would try it. Those people would then complain about anything going wrong. It's easy to make the game crash by using the console.
Doesn't matter anymore, I give up. Can't get it work.. :( :( :(
dsea83

Post by dsea83 »

I installed Python and followed all the steps in the initial post. However when I run grimrock_console.py from the Windows Shell I get the following:

found Console.lua
Modifying file...
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "grimrock_console.py", line 88, in <module>
main
File "grimrock_console.py", line 81, in main
open(filename, "wb").write(block)
IOError: [Errno 13] Permission denied: 'Console.lua'

I know nothing about Python so I don't even nowhere to begin. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I really need to spawn a skull to complete the puzzle on level 9 because I can't find one in game for the life of me. (And yes, I looked for the one on level 8 but I most have moved it or it never spawned).
Bees

Post by Bees »

dsea83 wrote:I installed Python and followed all the steps in the initial post. However when I run grimrock_console.py from the Windows Shell I get the following:

found Console.lua
Modifying file...
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "grimrock_console.py", line 88, in <module>
main
File "grimrock_console.py", line 81, in main
open(filename, "wb").write(block)
IOError: [Errno 13] Permission denied: 'Console.lua'

I know nothing about Python so I don't even nowhere to begin. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I really need to spawn a skull to complete the puzzle on level 9 because I can't find one in game for the life of me. (And yes, I looked for the one on level 8 but I most have moved it or it never spawned).
Sounds like the script is just trying to write to a protected directory (did you stick the game in "Program Files" perchance?) Restart the command shell with admin priviliges before re-running the script, and see if that fixes it. Or just move the dat file to a different location, run the script, then move the dat and console.lua files back to their original location.
dsea83

Post by dsea83 »

That fixed it, thanks for the speedy and accurate reply ^_^
Ashantara

Post by Ashantara »

I have trouble understanding the following directions:
seebs wrote:1. Extract Console.lua, and no other file.
First of all, there is no file named "Console.lua" in my game directory.
Second, what should I extract it with (if I had said file)?
seebs wrote:2. Copy this file to your LoG game directory (the one containing grimrock.exe, NOT your save directory).
Which file is he referring to here?

I have installed Python now but have no idea what to do. If someone could help me out by explaining the initial post of this thread step by step, that would be highly appreciated, as I find the order of directions a little confusing. All I want is an in-game console to spawn a few items (rocks, a skull, etc.) in order to solve a puzzle.

Thanks. :)
"Battle prowess is worthless if you are too dead to make use of it." — Soranthalas (my NWN half-elven Ranger/Rogue)
Darklord

Post by Darklord »

Do you read my elaboration on page 2 of this thread?

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=1982&start=10#p22580

Daniel.
A gently fried snail slice is absolutely delicious with a pat of butter...
Ashantara

Post by Ashantara »

Darklord wrote:Do you read my elaboration on page 2 of this thread?

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=1982&start=10#p22580

Daniel.
No, I haven't but will now. Thank you. :)
"Battle prowess is worthless if you are too dead to make use of it." — Soranthalas (my NWN half-elven Ranger/Rogue)
Darklord

Post by Darklord »

No probs, worth going through the whole thread if you are still stuck, many answers are contained within! :)

Daniel.
A gently fried snail slice is absolutely delicious with a pat of butter...
Ashantara

Post by Ashantara »

Darklord wrote:No probs, worth going through the whole thread if you are still stuck, many answers are contained within! :)
Indeed! Just discovered how to change the Console activation key, since XP's Notepad and other Windows innate programs didn't work. Notepad++ was the solution, many thanks! :D